Is a better to book with an Agent during Covid?

hanna7636

I prefer to use a travel agent and have used the same one the past few years.  They offer perks in addition to what NCL offers plus we get even more additional perks for being repeat customers.  I've only used just the one agent because I've always had such a great experience so I can't speak for other travel companies but I would guess the also offer things in addition to the cruise line. 

If you are a high end cruiser, an agent can provide more goodies.  Not being in that category, we book direct. Our April 2022 cruise has been reduced three times and all it took was an email to the Princess agent and she got the lower fare each time with no hassle.  I once had a very unsatisfactory situation with a travel agent who got back days later, after the special reduction had expired. He didn't have a back up and only offered an apology. 

I am of the opinion that it is better NOT to book through an agent during COVID.  Too many travel agents have gone out of business or are in precarious financial condition and if the TA does cease operations, dealing directly with the cruise line would be more difficult, as the cruise line is accustomed to pawning off TA customers to the TA for changes, notifications, etc. 

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SeaOfTranquility said:

I am of the opinion that it is better NOT to book through an agent during COVID.

I also agree with this during Covid times. 😉

My thoughts are mainly based on what happened to people who posted here about being on cruises around the world that were cancelled abruptly due to Covid, leaving them having to find their way back home quickly. There were many stories of people onboard trying to contact their TA's back in the States for help (post-cruise travel plans, flight changes, etc.) and all the frustrations with the process vs those who booked with the cruise lines directly and who seemed to be able to easily maneuver through all.

I think about what will happen if Covid affects my future cruises and JMO I will be booking through the lines for a while - even air, and I seldom book cruise air, instead usually doing it on my own - at least through the first part of the start back up.

• Like 1

We booked through an agent and it took so long to get our monies back. They had to wait for NCL to refund them and then we waited a further 4 weeks for it to be processed. 5 months in total!

So no, I would booked directly next time.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, HowardK said:

I'm not booking until cruises actually restart- I see no point in floating NCL any money right now for the uncertainty of a product.

I agree wholeheartedly with this opinion.  I have two cruises booked - fall 2021 & winter 2022 - and once we resume sailing, then I'll book another.  But back to the original question, I now follow a hybrid approach.  I book with my PCC as he has the best visibility into room availability, particularly connecting rooms.  Then within 30 days, I transfer the reservation to my Big Box TA to get their additional perks, while the PCC retains the booking 'credit.'  It works well!

Edited by HuliHuli
add words
  • Like 1