Reception manager on COVID-19 infected ship accuses company of greed, carelessness and fear culture

icepeople

This is the opening portion of an article from a newspaper I edit in Svalbard, Norway, where a COVID-19 outbreak occurred on one of Hurtgruten's expedition cruise ships during two voyages last summer. The company's handling of it has been subject to intense criticism and investigation, but this is the first time an employee has publicly shared his/her experience and provided their full name.

Accusing Hurtigruten of “miserable ethical compliance,” a top manager on the cruise ship Roald Amundsen has resigned due to what he called “criminal and punishable” actions by the company regarding an outbreak of COVID-19 during two voyages to Svalbard last summer.

The accusations, made in a Facebook post Sunday and republished widely by traditional and social media soon afterward, add to the epidemic of allegations and official findings that Hurtigruten was negligent in its preventative measures for crew and guests, tried to cover up the outbreaks with actions including intimidating employees, and prioritized profits over safety.

“It was impossible for me to remain employed by an employer with such miserable ethical compliance,” wrote Kristian Sæterhaug, who stated he has worked for Hurtigruten for 15 years, but resigned in January. He called the company a “school example of an organization controlled by fear mentality.”

“Leaders who kick down (read: bully their people) are rewarded, employees who kick upwards are called in for disciplinary discussions and receive written warnings.”

Sæterhaug is the first crew member share his story publicly using his full name and criticizing Hurtigruten’s handling of the virus situation.

The outbreaks occurring during two weeklong voyages between July 17-31, just after a ban on cruise ships in Svalbard was lifted, although the vessel was not allowed to dock in Longyearbyen or at other ports due to virus-related precautions. But they weren’t reported until the Roald Amundsen reached Tromsø at the end of the second journey – and even then the company allowed passengers to disembark without making contact tracing efforts.

A total of 29 passengers and 42 employees tested positive for the coronavirus, and 69 municipalities in Norway (and many others in other countries) were affected by infusion of infected travellers.

Screenshot 2021-02-22 at 15.49.21.png

Edited by icepeople
correct minor typo

I appreciate your sharing this. We we scheduled on Hurtigruten for last spring which was canceled. I remember thinking at the time that some of their subsequent actions 'left a bad taste in my mouth.' The were very forthcoming and allowed passengers to disembark with no action that I recall.