Bermuda closed to Int’l visitors until July

16 minutes ago, GMomKassie said:

We are booked on Freedom on 6/19 to Bermuda.   Why won’t Royal cancel if Bermuda is closed to visitors.   I believe they will cancel in April to avoid the 125% FCC.  Very frustrated!

I can't find anything that says Bermuda is closed until July, do you have a link?

5 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I can't find anything that says Bermuda is closed until July, do you have a link?

6 minutes ago, notmyrealnameoremail said:

I googled “cruise ports closed”.  CruiseOnly came up with status of each cruise line then scroll down to Port status for each island

27 minutes ago, GMomKassie said:

We are booked on Freedom on 6/19 to Bermuda.   Why won’t Royal cancel if Bermuda is closed to visitors.   I believe they will cancel in April to avoid the 125% FCC.  Very frustrated!

Bermuda is not closed to International Visitors. Current travel restrictions in link.  https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

We could fly there now. As far as cruises that is up to the CDC. I doubt you will be cruising there in July but Bermuda has not closed their ports.

Edited by Charles4515

3 minutes ago, GMomKassie said:

I googled “cruise ports closed”.  CruiseOnly came up with status of each cruise line then scroll down to Port status for each island

Bermuda has not closed their cruise ports. I linked to the Bermuda government travel restrictions in a post above. Cruises can not go there from the US currently because of the US CDC. July is not likely but it is not off the table yet.

2 minutes ago, Charles4515 said:

Bermuda is not closed to International Visitors. Current travel restrictions in link.  https://www.gotobermuda.com/bta/press-release/bermuda-tourism-authority-update

We could fly there now. As far as cruises that is up to the CDC. I doubt you will be cruising there in July but Bermuda has not closed their ports.

Thanks, that's what I found as well.  We are booked on Freedom in July.  While we think it is unlikely to sail, I don't see an outright ban on cruises by Bermuda.

Tom

Bermuda is currently not accepting passengers from cruise ships.

There is no way for a cruise passenger to apply for a Visitor Travel Authorization.

THIS IS NOT A CDC ISSUE.

I assume once sailing starts every person on the ship (passengers and crew, not sure if this includes children and infants) would have to individually take a Covid-19 PCR test "no more than 5 days before arrival in Bermuda."  Then everyone uploads the negative test to the Bermuda Government, pay the $75 fee ($30 for 9 and younger).  Once you get the Travel Authorization you would have to show it before boarding the ship.  

I suppose there is a possibility RCL could handle this for the passengers and crew for an additional fee.

There is of course the Bermuda requirement that you carry travel health insurance.

The way I am reading the Bermuda requirements is that you also have to take a COVID test upon arrival and quarantine until the test comes back negative.

Again, all of this has nothing to do with the CDC, it is all Bermuda requirements.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Travellers | Government of Bermuda (www.gov.bm)

1 hour ago, LB_NJ said:

Bermuda is currently not accepting passengers from cruise ships.

There is no way for a cruise passenger to apply for a Visitor Travel Authorization.

THIS IS NOT A CDC ISSUE.

I assume once sailing starts every person on the ship (passengers and crew, not sure if this includes children and infants) would have to individually take a Covid-19 PCR test "no more than 5 days before arrival in Bermuda."  Then everyone uploads the negative test to the Bermuda Government, pay the $75 fee ($30 for 9 and younger).  Once you get the Travel Authorization you would have to show it before boarding the ship.  

I suppose there is a possibility RCL could handle this for the passengers and crew for an additional fee.

There is of course the Bermuda requirement that you carry travel health insurance.

The way I am reading the Bermuda requirements is that you also have to take a COVID test upon arrival and quarantine until the test comes back negative.

Again, all of this has nothing to do with the CDC, it is all Bermuda requirements.

Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information for Travellers | Government of Bermuda (www.gov.bm)

They have not made any regulations regarding cruise passengers because it is a moot point. There are no cruises because of the CDC.  Some or all of those regulations may or may not apply to cruise passengers when they can come but don’t assume they will be the same. Bermuda will work with the cruise lines when cruises resume. They have not said they are closed to cruise passengers. They have been somewhat cagey about cruise passengers. I believe that is because  as there can not be cruises because of the CDC that allows them to defer decisions about what they will do when cruises restart. They have been in discussions with cruise lines. 

Edited by Charles4515
  • Like 1

42 minutes ago, LB_NJ said:

Why would you assume they would be any different for cruise ships then ("Super") yacht or airline passengers? 

Why do you assume it will be the same? I follow the Bermuda press and several Bermuda web sites. They have not made regulations regarding cruise ships. Also the previous regulations were pre vaccine. Now vaccines are available both in the US and Bermuda. Bermuda is vaccinating their population. The cruise ship season does not start until the end of April. Something is supposed to be forthcoming soon. 

Edited by Charles4515

Once vaccines are widely available I assume things will change.

For example, at some point they may require all adult visitors prove they have been vaccinated.

However, this year, why would they do away with the requirement that every visitor have a negative COVID test? 

This protects their country and their economy.

It also protects their tourist industry, the part that uses the expensive hotels and restaurants.

I have not found anything that shows the contribution to GDP of cruise ship tourists vs those arriving by air or yacht.  

Also, there is no reason to get rid of the requirement that tourists carry medical insurance valid in Bermuda.  This protects their hospitals from treating people who can't pay.  

There really is no reason to get rid of the travel authorization requirement.  (Although I would assume that the cruise line would probably handle that in some manner.)  It provides some small additional revenue to cover administrative costs.  It might also tend to weed out the cheap tourists who would balk at this small fee.  

Bermuda is one of those islands that can survive just fine without cruise ships arriving every week.  

Of course there are restaurants /shops near cruise ports that are dearly missing us.

If everyone on the ship is vaccinated there is suppose to be little chance of anyone needing to be hospitalized while at port,  so I dont see the need for every cruise to provide proof of travel/covid insurance.

It is always a good idea to purchase travel insurance anyway.