All cruise ships currently docked in Florida and other US ports?

3 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Are pilots still required to bring them in and out of their births ?

Can I ask why you asked this question?  Just curious.  I don't know the answer, but, my assumptions is pilots are required in Florida.

Edited by Cigar King

Sure, more than likely why you asked me the question. Just being inquisitive Cigar King. Pilots work seven days a week in all types of weather, often a hazardous and far from glamorous occupation. The Cruise Industry has been shut down for about a year but have been docking to pick up necessary provisions in many ports. The Pilots seem to be Essential Workers but don't know if they're still required to do their jobs as they did pre-Covid with cruise ships.

Yes, pilots are required in US ports..... as well as longhore (nowadays men & women) workers to tie the ships up to the dock.

Also, I believe the port agents are on duty to handle mail and coordinate supplies being delivered.

David

12 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

The Pilots seem to be Essential Workers but don't know if they're still required to do their jobs as they did pre-Covid with cruise ships.

Yes, they are essential workers, just like all merchant mariners, and stevedores.  While the cruise ships do provide a high dollar payment to the association, the very same pilots move cargo ships in and out of port every day, all through the pandemic.  Ships follow protocols when pilots board, like masks, social distancing, and limiting the pilot's access to the accommodations (we bring them up exterior stairs from deck to bridge), and sanitizing the bridge after they leave.  Don't worry about the pilots, even without the cruise ships, even the junior pilots in the association are making six figures, and the senior pilots much more.

Pilots are required by virtually every ship in every port.  A few cases of US flag ships having Captains who have received "pilotage" from the USCG in specific ports may not be required to take a pilot, but that can also depend on the local port authority

• Like 6

16 hours ago, DJLDRUMS said:

Sure, more than likely why you asked me the question. Just being inquisitive Cigar King. Pilots work seven days a week in all types of weather, often a hazardous and far from glamorous occupation.

Thanks for answering - Cheers.

I wouldn't worry about any starving pilots, according to a study done way back in 2009 the average salary for an association pilot in Florida was $368,000. I can't imagine its less than that now.

The articles are of course from industry publications that would benefit from breaking the association's grip on pilotage, and I have had trouble locating newer or unbiased information. But I would imagine the underlying numbers from the WEG study should be close to accurate.  I would be interested to find updated information.

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/2010-2-18-open-market-harbor-pilot-system-benefits-all-floridians