NCL Executives Sell Shares

hbboers

On 3/4/2021 at 11:06 AM, BirdTravels said:

Were these stock options or something that needed to be bought or sold? 

I'm fairly certain they were options.  And, NCL granted them at a small fraction of the sell price.  Plus, whomever bought the shares paid ~$4M for the shares, not NCL.  It did not come out of NCL's pockets.

I guess some are unaware how this works.  This is a stock transaction, not a transaction pulling money out of NCL's cash reserves.

When you sell stock, that means someone else bought it.  It doesn't directly affect the company, but it must be disclosed.  The stock awards were probably made at a much discounted price, as is typically the case and they have an opportunity to make significant profit, which is how the program is intended to work.  I wish I had bought at $14 or $15 and sold at $29 or now the $33 range.

On 3/5/2021 at 3:57 PM, graphicguy said:

I'm fairly certain they were options.  And, NCL granted them at a small fraction of the sell price.  Plus, whomever bought the shares paid ~$4M for the shares, not NCL.  It did not come out of NCL's pockets.

I guess some are unaware how this works.  This is a stock transaction, not a transaction pulling money out of NCL's cash reserves.

Most stock options granted to executives have a finite life at which point they have to be automatically bought or automatically sold. It is part of the total compensation of executives in most large companies. In my company, lots of senior managers (in addition to the executives) get options. Most allow them to be sold via limit order or when they come due to diversify their portfolio. 

11 hours ago, BirdTravels said:

Most stock options granted to executives have a finite life at which point they have to be automatically bought or automatically sold. It is part of the total compensation of executives in most large companies. In my company, lots of senior managers (in addition to the executives) get options. Most allow them to be sold via limit order or when they come due to diversify their portfolio. 

Correct.  I know when I was compensated (partial) with stock options, I had limited periods I could trade those options (very restrictive) and those times did not coincide with maximizing their value.  I had pre-IPO shares in those companies.  When we went public, I could sell.  That was the high point.

Other options had to be held for a certain period of time before they could be traded, and they had, as you put it, a "finite life" where they could be sold before they expired.

I'm assuming one or all of those conditions were true for the referenced shares/options that were sold.

On 3/4/2021 at 12:01 AM, hbboers said:

Cruise Industry News just reported

Senior executives at Norwegian Cruise Line Holdings sold off shares in the company on March 1, 2021, according to SEC filings.

Of note, President and CEO Frank Del Rio sold 80,821 shares at an average price of $29.85 each for a total of $2,412,506.85.

Harry Sommer, president of the Norwegian brand, disposed of 18,854 company shares at $29.85 for a total of $562,791.90.

Robert Binder, president and CEO of Oceania, sold 21,278 shares at $29.85 each for $635,148.30.

Jason Montague, president and CEO of Regent Seven Seas Cruises, sold 18,854 shares at $29.85 each for $562,791.90

That is over $4.000,000.  For a company that is hurting financially , i think it shows a lack of confidence in the company when it keeps going further  into debt and refusing to give refunds.  Just my opinion

Let me guess, you have never worked in a position that included stock option and you have no idea how they work, right?  Not to mention a couple of the pemises you use to draw your conclusion are either opinion or totally factually incorrect.

Edited by MoCruiseFan