Sea Conditions in Early May Curacao to NJ

Kay and Hal

My wife has had problems in the past with rough seas. We are considering a repositioning cruise which will take us from Curacao to Cape Liberty April 30th thru May 4. I fully understand "stuff happens" but I am just wondering under "typical conditions," what kind of seas might we experience? I will add that we would be in our favorite aft cabin on a Celebrity Millennium-class ship.

Our last cruise was in 2007 to the Galapagos and we are real excited about going on another cruise. I have no idea the last time I tried to access the Cruise Critic website and our email addresses have changed so it appears we are total newbies.....though looking around this site and all that has changed in the world of cruising - maybe we are.🤣

Having sailed these waters way too many times, there really isn't any typical conditions. Best suggestions is April/May is probably better than during middle of winter and TRS season.

With respect to cabin selection, next to the fwd cabins, the aft one experience more movement in a seaway when the ship is pitching. Perhaps a midships cabin on a lower deck might be better.

54 minutes ago, Kay and Hal Redux said:

My wife has had problems in the past with rough seas. We are considering a repositioning cruise which will take us from Curacao to Cape Liberty April 30th thru May 4. I fully understand "stuff happens" but I am just wondering under "typical conditions," what kind of seas might we experience? I will add that we would be in our favorite aft cabin on a Celebrity Millennium-class ship.

Our last cruise was in 2007 to the Galapagos and we are real excited about going on another cruise. I have no idea the last time I tried to access the Cruise Critic website and our email addresses have changed so it appears we are total newbies.....though looking around this site and all that has changed in the world of cruising - maybe we are.🤣

Curaçao to Bayonne in 4 days - on a Millenium Class ship ?- I do not think so.  

Any sailing to a US port this April is iffy — but I do not think there are ANY scheduled on that route (certainly that fast)  either this April or April 2022.

That said - you could have very rough seas,  or flat calm, or a mix of the two - stuff kind of does happen at sea.

I figure the distance is a shade less than 2,100 n/mls, so with 1 hr clox they would require about 25.5 kts to make the transit in 3.5 days. Even departing early morning and arriving late afternoon would require an average speed of over 22 kts.

And Curacao will probably be replaced with another port - Aruba? Bonaire?- if the sailing does proceed.  The CDC just listed Curacao and Antigua as 2 Caribbean nations where travel to them is at the highest advisory level.

Very unusual, as most isles have done a better job of prevention and mitigation that we have done in the States, so I would certainly want the cruise line to observe this CDC guidance.

It is a 9 night repositioning cruise starting in Miami and only visiting two ports - Aruba and Curacao then ending in Cape Liberty. Switching Bonaire for Curacao would make no difference to us - we have been to neither. The cruise is in 2022. My wife has never been to NYC so we will spend time there afterwards. We know an aft cabin will feel a good bit more movement than mid-ship but the enormous size of that balcony is why we love it.