Mariner upgrade while cruising

Arrowinc

I have a question which I vaguely recall having been answered before, but cannot readily find the topic.  My spouse and I will move from 3 to 4 star mariner status on day 3 or so of our next cruise.  Will we be notified that it has taken place, and will that “promotion” be effective on the ship for purposes of discounts and the like?  Thanks much.

For all cruises except Grand Voyages, your elevated benefits will take effect on your next Holland America Line cruise. If you cross a star level threshold while on board a Grand Voyage (based on days sailed), you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Mr and Mrs CIQ said:

...you will be upgraded to your new star level for the remainder of that voyage.

You won't receive cruise day credit for any on-board spending ot anything else, _only_ actual shipboard days. This happened to us on a Grand Voyage last year, so we're still champing at the bit to use some of our new perks 😉

Along with a Grand Voyage, I have seen some get upgraded on B2B IF all they needed were the sea days (no on board spending counted).  In that case they had contacted the Mariner society to confirm and had the email.

If you are on a single voyage (booking #), then you need to wait until the next cruise to get your benefits.  You may receive your pin on board thought FWIW.

2 hours ago, Arrowinc said:

Thanks very much. I now see that I asked this exact question a year ago!   The mind is clearly going!

One of the beauties of aging: so much is new every day.

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Arrowinc said:

Yup. I like your meme (or whatever it’s called), kwb101.

Thanks, I can't take any credit for my avatar: he's the great and wonderful Bill the Cat, who was in "Bloom County", lo, these many years. 

• Like 1

You also might try calling the Mariner Society if you're that close. Several years ago I was in the same situation and was doing back to back 12 day cruises for a total of 24 days onboard. I was asking to be upgraded at the end of the first segment and the person I talked to upgraded me immediately for the whole 24 days. I think she said at the time that they will do it if you're only 3 days short. Don't know if they're still doing it but it's worth asking.

• Like 1

On 3/10/2021 at 9:03 PM, Longstraw said:

You also might try calling the Mariner Society if you're that close. Several years ago I was in the same situation and was doing back to back 12 day cruises for a total of 24 days onboard. I was asking to be upgraded at the end of the first segment and the person I talked to upgraded me immediately for the whole 24 days. I think she said at the time that they will do it if you're only 3 days short. Don't know if they're still doing it but it's worth asking.

We had a similar experience - we were either 2 or 3 days short of our next star, I called the Mariner Society and they said they'd let the ship know that they had approved it and to go to the Front Desk on "the day" and they'd issue a new card showing our new level and we got to take advantage of the perks for the remainder of the cruise.  Never hurts to ask when you're that close.  Good luck.

• Like 2