Summer 2021

1 hour ago, dronnygirl said:

Interesting, please keep us updated Colbrit.

Yep with four or five cruise lines doing the same cruises or there abouts, it will be interesting who comes up with the right price, but with Marella having the drinks package included just might tip the scales, but then you might want to give Cunard or Princess a try.

We're quite fancying a British cruise, don't really want to fly this year so this sounds a great solution.  Always wanted to visit Belfast and some of the Scottish Islands so this would be a great opportunity.  As there are several companies trying this, the prices might not be too inflated - I guess the cruise lines are using this to test the water for them as well.

5 hours ago, dronnygirl said:

Interesting, please keep us updated Colbrit.

Will do - April is traditionally when they brochure launch but I’m sure they’ll say something when they can.

The feeling is that they will offer whatever holidays/cruises they can this summer as soon as they get the go ahead. 

I’m very keen definitely on a this type of cruise - always feel there are lots of British places we have on our doorstep that we need to explore.

• 2 weeks later...

Announced on Marella’s official FB page:

We’re really pleased to announce we’ll be offering domestic cruises sailing from the UK this year. We can’t wait to welcome you back onboard. More details will be revealed soon.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

My source just told me:

They will go on sale tomorrow Friday 16th April.

Explorer will sail 7 itineraries from 25th June into September. All from Southampton.

Duration between 3-12 nights visiting ports like Liverpool Belfast Dublin and Invergorden. There is also a no fly return trip to Gibraltar Malaga Lisbon on 10th September.

Marella Explorer 2 will also offer sailings from Newcastle this summer with more U.K. ports of call but these will be on sale later.

I’ve just had a look on the Marella announcements on socials and it says all over 18s to board must be at least 1 week from the date of their second vaccination.

Under 18s to board must provide negative lateral flow test.

All customers will need to complete a lateral flow test pre departure and this is available free of charge.

Inside cabins will not be on sale as they will operate at reduced capacity.

Itineraries: Sail The South Coast - Southampton, Dover, Portland

A Taste of the West Coast - Southampton, Greenock, Belfast, Holyhead, Portland

West Coast Wonders - Southampton, Greenock, Liverpool, Belfast, Holyhead, Portland

East Coast Explorer - Southampton, Greenock, Belfast, Stornaway, Kirkwall, Invergordon, Leith, Newcastle, Dover 

British Sights & Seas - Dover, Leith, Kirkwall, Lerwick, Invergordon, Newcastle

East Coast Getaway - Southampton, Kirkwall, Leith, Newcastle

Sail the Irish Sea - Southampton, Portland, Holyhead, Greenock, Belfast, Liverpool, Dublin, Cork

Iberian Explorer - Southampton, Vigo, Malaga, Gibraltar, Cadiz, Lisbon, La Coruña

Mediterranean Explorer - will call at Barcelona Valencia and Lisbon not sure of the rest. 

It's not looking good at the moment for cruising. Must admit I haven't been keeping up-to-date with the latest info, don't really want the restrictions at the moment so think this year will be a no no for us but fully understand and respect cruisers wishing to get away. 

Just got word today from our local TA to say that our cruise has been cancelled(again) due to sail on 6th July.To be honest we were kinda expecting it but strangely enough disappointed at the same time.Even more so as we had been upgraded to a delux balcony cabin as initially  this  cruise was on the Dream but replaced by Discovery after Dream was retired 

Thats us done with cruising till well into 2022 now,fingers crossed

Looking at the ports Marella will be sailing from its good to see they have taking there loyal Scottish customers into account

Edited by Jim The Scot

This is the errata displayed when booking-

Please note, for this itinerary and all cruises departing from the UK, in line with current guidance guests may only go ashore as part of a Marella Cruises excursion. This means you won’t be able to explore under your own steam. Shore excursions can be booked for an extra charge, either pre-departure, or when you’re onboard via the Destination Services desk or our Navigate app. 

1 hour ago, Colbrit said:

Please note, for this itinerary and all cruises departing from the UK, in line with current guidance guests may only go ashore as part of a Marella Cruises excursion. This means you won’t be able to explore under your own steam. Shore excursions can be booked for an extra charge, either pre-departure, or when you’re onboard via the Destination Services desk or our Navigate app. 

So I can drive from one part of the UK to another, get out and wander round, but can't if I get off a ship, struggling to see the logic in that

2 hours ago, Mike.S said:

So I can drive from one part of the UK to another, get out and wander round, but can't if I get off a ship, struggling to see the logic in that

I understand this is all to do with framework agreed with the chamber of shipping/ government.

6 hours ago, Mike.S said:

Completely understand your sentiments but this seems to be the case with the other cruiselines offering these UK cruises too.

8 hours ago, Colbrit said:

Many thanks for all the info Colbrit, however like others I can't understand why I will be able to drive to Invergordon, Portland, Liverpool etc but can't disembark a ship full of UK passengers.  This would definitely put us off.  I think we'll wait and see but a motoring holiday looks to be more interesting.

• 2 weeks later...