Inoculations for Mexico?

Sprocket

Just got our documents yesterday and we leave in 3 weeks. Our TA did not mention that we may need shots.

According to RCI it says inoculations are recommended but in some circumstances they are required. I'm sure if they were necessary for the Mexican Riviera I would have read about it here, or been advised months ago by our TA.

It is our first time to Mexico and we know not to drink the water or to have drinks with ice etc.

Thanks for any help......

Bev

No innoculations needed for a cruise that goes to Mexico! (At least not for the Carribean side, so I don't think it would be any different for the west coast.) Also, there are many places where it is okay to drink the water and ice. Depends on where you are going.

Have a great cruise!

The reason you saw what you did in your documents regarding innoculations is because cruise lines print generic documents that cover all the places they sail to, and some itineraries might require a vaccination of some kind. For all Caribbean and Mexico cruises, you do not need anything, but I highly recommend Hep A and B shots and make sure your tetanus shots are no more than 10 years old.

Thanks everyone, I was sure if they were required my TA would have told me. Not sure if there is still time enough for Hep A and B shots, and I'm pretty positive I've never had a tetanus shot, not sure why I would need that.:eek: Perhaps someone can elighten me about that one.

Bev

I just checked the Food and Drug Administration web site (fda.gov). It says that yes,you should have a tetanus shot--whether you're traveling or not. If you truely have never had one you will need to have series of shots, but simply starting it will protect you a bit. Be forewarned though, the shot is not painful, but 24 hours later you will have a very stiff upper arm (it can't be given in the hip). A little ibuprofen will taken care of the stiffness.

Thanks everyone, I was sure if they were required my TA would have told me. Not sure if there is still time enough for Hep A and B shots, and I'm pretty positive I've never had a tetanus shot, not sure why I would need that.:eek: Perhaps someone can elighten me about that one.

Bev

Depending on your age, if you went to school in the U.S. anytime in the last 20 to 30 years, a tetanus shot was required every 10 years in order to go to public schools. A tetanus shot (commonly referred to as a Booster Shot) is used to prevent what most of us know as lockjaw. For me, my last one was right after my 2nd cruise as a result of falling at Dunn's River Falls, so I'm good to go for another 7 years. 10 years before that I literally was forced to go to the doctor and get one after school one day otherwise they would not let me back into school the following day. I waited because I too hate needles, in fact I tend to faint at the site of them.

You most likely have had a tetnus shot if you grew up in the US and had physicals. If for some reason you haven't I'd get one right away. Tetnus is somewhat easily contracted through an open wound from the evironment, and it is fatal. And it is certainly not a fun way to spend your last days! (Don't mean to scare you!! It is very serious though, so you should have one.) Chances are you are up to date and don't even know it, but I would check with your doctor to be safe.

Archived