Which cruise to take???

Kuevan

When we were in Amber Cove last year we did the Private Van - Your Day Your Way excursion.  It was just my wife, my parents, and me.  I highly recommend it.  We enjoyed the freedom to see what we wanted and we also enjoyed getting a tour of Puerto Plata with just family.

We visited the Macorix Rum factory, the fort (where our guide did an excellent job of keeping the vendors away), a chocolate factory, and the town square.  I know this probably sounds boring, but the highlight for me was visiting one of the tiendas.  The owner was hilarious.  I got soft drinks for everyone and even a local El Presidente beer (I was not allowed to drink it on the van.  lol).  We were free to spend as much or as little time at each stop as we wanted.  Our guide was very knowledgeable and our driver was a magician on the crowded streets.  The ladies were interested in buying some Larimar jewelry.  Our guide took us to a jewelry shop where we got to go in the back and watch them actually making the jewelry.  My wife got earrings and a necklace and I thought the prices were surprisingly good.

The excursion seems a little pricey, but we split the cost with my parents.  Even if it was just my wife and me the price would have been totally worth it. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the input, everyone! We've cruised many times in the past and the ports of call are very important - we love to explore all the different beaches. From the sounds of it, I think we'll go with the Magic. We like the 8 day length too!

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

We are all very excited to eventually cruise on the Mardi Gras. However, my frugal nature tells me that if you can get an extra day at Sea for the same price go for it. Trust me there will be plenty of buzz that we can all take in following that maiden voyage of the Mardi Gras!!  

On 3/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, Kuevan said:

Thanks for the input, everyone! We've cruised many times in the past and the ports of call are very important - we love to explore all the different beaches. From the sounds of it, I think we'll go with the Magic. We like the 8 day length too!

Would also choose the Magic for the 8 days, but the lure of the brand new mega ship is I hard to resist.