New South Wales Rain

Stumblefoot

To our Australian friends, we hope everyone is doing well and not encountering too much trouble from your record rainfall.  Considering the drought periods you have endured, to think you have received 8+" of rain seems inconceivable.  Stay safe and hopefully the atmosphere will dry out soon and damage will be minor.

• Like 2

I have Australian friends as well and I share the thoughts of the OP.  

My community's Sunday paper had a major article today about the amount of rainfall/snowfall that my area has received in recent years as compared to data going back 100+ years and the amount of water that our local dams have had to keep stored to prevent major flooding along the Great Miami River in recent years.  

Yet, the deniers of climate change will read the article and have "another reason" to support their denial of climate change.  

• Like 1

Here where we live on the "SUNshine Coast "  in Queensland we have been  getting up  to  2 inches of rain a day.   Poor farmers inland -  either no  rain  or too  much !   As for down  south  - it has really copped it -  0ne dam is spilling the equivalent water of the Sydney Harbour every day !!

From the Sydney Morning Herald newspaper =

"Since the heavy rain hit, Warragamba’s spillway has released 450 gigalitres a day. Sydney Harbour holds about 500 gigalitres."

Well the current NSW floods are not a proof of Climate change.We lived in Maitland in the Hunter Valley for 18 years.It is between Sydney with severe flooding and Port Macquarie which seems to be the area most affected this time.The Record Maitland flood was in 1955 when the river reached 12.1 metres ~ 39 feet.

It peaked today at 5.9 metres.

In Sydney Windsor had a flood peak of 13 metres ~ 45 feet.The record was in 1867 at 20.1 metres ~ 65 feet.

Here is the story of the 1955 flood.

https://www.phototimetunnel.com/the-great-flood-of-1955-part-1

The flood waters that year covered 16% of NSW.Or an area the size of England plus Wales.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drron29 said:

Well the current NSW floods are not a proof of Climate change.We lived in Maitland in the Hunter Valley for 18 years.It is between Sydney with severe flooding and Port Macquarie which seems to be the area most affected this time.The Record Maitland flood was in 1955 when the river reached 12.1 metres ~ 39 feet.

It peaked today at 5.9 metres.

In Sydney Windsor had a flood peak of 13 metres ~ 45 feet.The record was in 1867 at 20.1 metres ~ 65 feet.

Here is the story of the 1955 flood.

https://www.phototimetunnel.com/the-great-flood-of-1955-part-1

The flood waters that year covered 16% of NSW.Or an area the size of England plus Wales.

I got an email from my friend who lives in Elebana, NSW, (just south of Newcastle).  He said flooding was bad and his daughter had to evacuate from Port Macquarie.  Seems it is either too much water or not enough for those Down Under.  WE have been talking about the drought for years now, Hoping with all this rain that has been broken!  

Coming to you from a very wet Sydney....

I've been pretty lucky, aside from a new internal water feature due to a deck renovation that didn't quite end up water tight.  I've always wanted a water fall. 

I've been cut off twice as the feeder creek for the river has broken its banks.  Luckily only a few homes under as the other end of the creek is in the national park

My SIL has not been so lucky.  They are 13m above the river at Ebenezer (other side  of Windsor and down river ) and it has gone right through their lower floor. She was the last house in the street to go under, and the land is gazetted as 100+ flood zone.  Its gone higher than the 1961 floods.   The nearby Ebenezer church (oldest in Australia) looks to have also have gone under.  There are no church records which document flooding...

It's still forecast to go higher yet again today...

Edited by MrsWaldo

2 hours ago, MrsWaldo said:

Coming to you from a very wet Sydney....

I've been pretty lucky, aside from a new internal water feature due to a deck renovation that didn't quite end up water tight.  I've always wanted a water fall. 

I've been cut off twice as the feeder creek for the river has broken its banks.  Luckily only a few homes under as the other end of the creek is in the national park

My SIL has not been so lucky.  They are 13m above the river at Ebenezer (other side  of Windsor and down river ) and it has gone right through their lower floor. She was the last house in the street to go under, and the land is gazetted as 100+ flood zone.  Its gone higher than the 1961 floods.   The nearby Ebenezer church (oldest in Australia) looks to have also have gone under.  There are no church records which document flooding...

It's still forecast to go higher yet again today...

That’s what my friends said as well, more rain expected all week

"A quick thinking man has managed to save some houseboats from being smashed by a rogue shipping container by intercepting it with his boat"......

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2021-03-23/nsw-floods-live-blog-evacuation-warnings-hawkesbury-river/100022362?utm_source=abc_news_web&utm_medium=content_shared&utm_content=link&utm_campaign=abc_news_web#live-blog-post-1199277932