What’s up with the 120 day PIF date?

AdoraBelle

I’ll have my second vaccine in a few weeks, so finally starting to play with mock bookings. VV expects me to pay in full today for a sailing in July. I checked NCL for comparison—they’ll take a $125 deposit until May 09 for a July sailing.

I get that these companies are cash starved, but I’m not giving them a couple of thousand dollars interest-free in these uncertain times. 

• Like 1

Funny that you use the example of NCL, where the "free drinks package" isn't free - check the fine print - and the "specialty restaurants package" dings you for the gratuity. Tough to compare when lines aren't being honest in their marketing. I believe Virgin has been pretty consistent with their final payment requirement which is different than others. Compared to Viking that can require full payment 1 year in advance, 120 days doesn't sound so bad. No one says you have to book that far ahead. Wait until 60 days before and take your chances on what's left. Or just book 2022 - better choices, more certainty that the cruise will happen and additional time to gather that final payment. In reality, what is the cost to you for lost interest on $2000 for the 60 day difference in final payment date? You'll probably say well it's the principle ...I get it. Your call... I'm still keeping my money with Virgin.

5 hours ago, twodjs said:

Funny that you use the example of NCL, where the "free drinks package" isn't free - check the fine print - and the "specialty restaurants package" dings you for the gratuity. Tough to compare when lines aren't being honest in their marketing

Believe me, I know every single rotten trick that every cruise line does, and I'm VERY familiar with NCL in particular. But you, in turn, know you're comparing apples to oranges with those examples above. 

I would much rather my first post-pandemic cruise be with VV (who is requiring vaccines). I'm just surprised to find that they're not being a little more flexible. They'd be more likely to get some money from me right now instead of what they will get, which is zero for the time being. 

• Like 1

Maybe you're a solo traveler like me and that's why VV intrigued you more than most.

They way I characterize NCL is that NCL is a great value...if you know how to navigate the system they've set up. The website prices are terrible, but with last minute fares, CruiseNext, shareholder benefits, Lattitudes status and various other tips and tricks to use onboard, it's a great value.