O.k., am I correct abut this?

farmersfight

O.k., am I correct abut this?

I've recently taken advantage of RCI's 60% off the 2nd guest sale. As a solo in the stateroom, this essentially lowers my solo supplement to 40%. If you look at double occupancy, it would be 60% off for the stateroom. Now in comparison, how about NCL's 30% off sale? I know NCL just raises the cruise fare prior to the sale but that would be for everybody, so solos are equal. With double occupancy, that would be 60% off for the stateroom as well.

Am I off here?

Don't try to do the math with NCL. Your head may explode! Basically they bump up the fares for everyone and then "discount" them 30%; we're seeing the straight 100% single supplement on current cruises.

I don't track RCL prices enough to know how they play with the numbers. For the heck of it, let's look at a random sailing - Harmony OTS on May 1 2022 in the Eastern Caribbean. With the 60% second guest discount they're offering me an oceanview balcony at the same price for single occupancy or double occupancy (except the latter is $145 more for a second person's taxes & port fees). Same results with a different random May 2022 cruise on Explorer. That 60% off the second guest is confusing - ignore the marketing and focus on the actual numbers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, coastcat said:

Don't try to do the math with NCL. Your head may explode! Basically they bump up the fares for everyone and then "discount" them 30%;

Regardless of whatever cruise line, they all play these games.  Several times, I inquired about a special "deal" that appeared quite attractive--on the surface.  When I inquired what would the price be without all of the included "goodies", the per day price has consistently been less than the per day price that included the "deals".  

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, coastcat said:

Don't try to do the math with NCL. Your head may explode! Basically they bump up the fares for everyone and then "discount" them 30%; we're seeing the straight 100% single supplement on current cruises.

I don't track RCL prices enough to know how they play with the numbers. For the heck of it, let's look at a random sailing - Harmony OTS on May 1 2022 in the Eastern Caribbean. With the 60% second guest discount they're offering me an oceanview balcony at the same price for single occupancy or double occupancy (except the latter is $145 more for a second person's taxes & port fees). Same results with a different random May 2022 cruise on Explorer. That 60% off the second guest is confusing - ignore the marketing and focus on the actual numbers.

Thanks. Maybe I should be "crunching the numbers" a little harder but the RCL 60% off the 2nd guest sale was attractive enough for me to book 3 Oasis-class ships (Symphony, Harmony & Allure OTS). Both the Symphony & Harmony OTS cruises are in an ocean view balcony and the Allure OTS is in a Central Park view balcony.

With NCL, I did get the 30% off my Norwegian Gem cruise out of Dom Rep in Sept but as you said, I'm sure NCL just raised the cruise fare prior to the 30% off sale. Oh well, still must've been attractive enough to me as I booked a regular balcony cabin on the Gem. As you know, the Gem and her other Jewel-class sisters do not have Studio cabins/lounges like the BA, BA + class ships do.

Edited by farmersfight

I have been running lots of number with RCL.  As a solo you pay the same price as 2 people minus the taxes and port fees.  The only exception is the solo rooms they have on some ships.  Right now they have the sale for 60% off the second person.  Everyone gets that discount solo or couples.  One thing I do is run numbers as two people because that will show me the price for GTY cabins.  You can get the GTY price but it will not show on the website if you pick one person in the room.  When I call they will give me the GTY price.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think I answered by own question. Did a mock booking on NCL with the 30% pp. For the stateroom, the discount is still 30%, it doesn't go up to 60% (I need to sharpen up my math skills, lol). So, RCI's 60% off the 2nd person is still the better deal for us solos. Effectively reduces the solo supplement down to 40%, which was enough for me to "pull the trigger" and book a few cruises with RCI, in regular balcony staterooms!

18 minutes ago, Summerstravel said:

Can you please share any tips on RCI? (solo) I have never sailed RCI just Norwegian so I am curious how things work. For example drink packages, dining, shows, etc. Thank you so much! With this sale it looks a good time to book for 2022. 

I have not been on a RCL cruise in years but I have 4 of them booked right now.  The thing I can tell you is be careful when comparing prices.  All the NCL cruises I have been on have had free at sea drink packages.  ON the RCL cruise you have to purchase the drink package if you want one.  The price of the drink package will be different for each cruise and that price will go on sale often.  I have paid as low as $35 a day for a drink package and one of my 7 day cruises is staying at $61 a day and they are saying that is 20% off.  

One thing they have that I like as a Solo is the Unlimited Dining Package.  I am paying $130 and I get to eat at all the specialty restaurants for any of my meals during my 7 day cruise.  Part of me are saying I can eat for free but the other part says I get 5 star restaurants each meal of the cruise.

I seem to be cruising mainly RCL and NCL going forward.  When all is done and paid for they seem to be about the same price on the bottom line.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Summerstravel said:

Can you please share any tips on RCI? (solo) I have never sailed RCI just Norwegian so I am curious how things work. For example drink packages, dining, shows, etc. Thank you so much! With this sale it looks a good time to book for 2022. 

As I have not sailed on RCI (yet), I will defer to @Traveling Mike. But from a booking point of view, I am finding RCI to be very "solo friendly". Their 60% off the 2nd guest sale has really helped (essentially lowers the solo supplement to 40%). As I posted previously, I've been able to book regular balcony cabins on 3 of RCI's Oasis-class ships (see my expanded signature block). On top of this sale, RCI has the Quantum-class ships that have the studio balcony cabins. I'm booked on 3 Quantum-class ships in those studio balcony cabins. I'm also booked on NCL's BA, BA+ class ships so it will be interesting to compare the solo experience on both cruise lines.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Summerstravel said:

Also still awaiting my first RCI cruise but that's given me plenty of time to read up on things...

There's no drink package included with RCI. However, you can purchase one - and the options are (IMO) superior to what NCL offers. You've got a soda-only package, the Refreshments package for all non-alcoholic drinks (including bottled water, specialty coffee, frozen drinks, mocktails, and fresh-squeezed fruit juice), and deluxe beverage package (Refreshments plus unlimited alcoholic drinks and a discount on wine bottles). Compare that to NCL with its soda package, the PBP which comes as a Free At Sea perk, and the Premium Plus BP. NCL's PBP doesn't include the specialty coffees, bottled water, fresh juice, or smoothies - you've got to pay the hefty upgrade to PPBP to get all that.

For specialty dining, you can purchase packages. They have an unlimited specialty dining package plus smaller packages. For my 5-night cruise on Mariner next February, I can choose between a Chops + 1 package (one dinner at Chops, one dinner at another specialty restaurant) for $59.99 or the unlimited dining package (specialty dinner every night plus lunch every sea day) for $139.99.

The fun thing is that prices are not fixed! RC offers discounts frequently which range from 10% to 40% or more. If you purchase at a higher price, you can cancel and re-purchase at a lower price if a new discount rolls out. You have to keep checking, or keep an eye on forums/social media. Excursions also get discounted. Man, it's a full time job to keep up with RCI pricing...

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, coastcat said:

Also still awaiting my first RCI cruise but that's given me plenty of time to read up on things...

There's no drink package included with RCI. However, you can purchase one - and the options are (IMO) superior to what NCL offers. You've got a soda-only package, the Refreshments package for all non-alcoholic drinks (including bottled water, specialty coffee, frozen drinks, mocktails, and fresh-squeezed fruit juice), and deluxe beverage package (Refreshments plus unlimited alcoholic drinks and a discount on wine bottles). Compare that to NCL with its soda package, the PBP which comes as a Free At Sea perk, and the Premium Plus BP. NCL's PBP doesn't include the specialty coffees, bottled water, fresh juice, or smoothies - you've got to pay the hefty upgrade to PPBP to get all that.

For specialty dining, you can purchase packages. They have an unlimited specialty dining package plus smaller packages. For my 5-night cruise on Mariner next February, I can choose between a Chops + 1 package (one dinner at Chops, one dinner at another specialty restaurant) for $59.99 or the unlimited dining package (specialty dinner every night plus lunch every sea day) for $139.99.

The fun thing is that prices are not fixed! RC offers discounts frequently which range from 10% to 40% or more. If you purchase at a higher price, you can cancel and re-purchase at a lower price if a new discount rolls out. You have to keep checking, or keep an eye on forums/social media. Excursions also get discounted. Man, it's a full time job to keep up with RCI pricing...

Thanks @coastcat. This is very helpful information. Much appreciated! I know I wasn't the target audience but...

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Traveling Mike said:

I have not been on a RCL cruise in years but I have 4 of them booked right now.  The thing I can tell you is be careful when comparing prices.  All the NCL cruises I have been on have had free at sea drink packages.  ON the RCL cruise you have to purchase the drink package if you want one.  The price of the drink package will be different for each cruise and that price will go on sale often.  I have paid as low as $35 a day for a drink package and one of my 7 day cruises is staying at $61 a day and they are saying that is 20% off.  

One thing they have that I like as a Solo is the Unlimited Dining Package.  I am paying $130 and I get to eat at all the specialty restaurants for any of my meals during my 7 day cruise.  Part of me are saying I can eat for free but the other part says I get 5 star restaurants each meal of the cruise.

I seem to be cruising mainly RCL and NCL going forward.  When all is done and paid for they seem to be about the same price on the bottom line.

I am not really an alcohol drinker but I do like coffee, diet soda and bottled water. Although I will indulge if I have a package. lol I will get a drink package if it is not to high.  The dinning package sounds great. Thanks for your information! 

Tracie

• Like 1

17 hours ago, coastcat said:

Wow thank you for the information! The soda package sounds great to me and then I don't feel like I have to drink alcohol. I wish NCL had those. I love the dining options packages. I wonder if last minute cruise options are a better bargain then planning way ahead. I never really never did a last minute cruise. Thank you sharing! 

Tracie

• Like 1

19 hours ago, farmersfight said:

As I have not sailed on RCI (yet), I will defer to @Traveling Mike. But from a booking point of view, I am finding RCI to be very "solo friendly". Their 60% off the 2nd guest sale has really helped (essentially lowers the solo supplement to 40%). As I posted previously, I've been able to book regular balcony cabins on 3 of RCI's Oasis-class ships (see my expanded signature block). On top of this sale, RCI has the Quantum-class ships that have the studio balcony cabins. I'm booked on 3 Quantum-class ships in those studio balcony cabins. I'm also booked on NCL's BA, BA+ class ships so it will be interesting to compare the solo experience on both cruise lines.

What is a Quantum Class ship?  I love the idea of a studio balcony room! A comparison of studio's on each line would be great. 

Thank you so much!

Tracie 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Summerstravel said:

What is a Quantum Class ship?  I love the idea of a studio balcony room! A comparison of studio's on each line would be great. 

Thank you so much!

Tracie 

Wait a couple months and I can link to my blog post on solo cabins! I’m putting together a website and YouTube channel for solo cruising but can’t focus until my data analytics class is done...

But in brief, Royal Caribbean has a Quantum class of ships: Quantum, Ovation, Anthem, Spectrum, and the new Odyssey. Each ship has 12 Studio Balcony cabins, which are smaller balcony cabins designed for single occupancy. Sister brand Celebrity also offers a solo balcony, the Single Infinite Veranda, on its Edge-class ships (Edge and Apex). Virgin Voyages also has single balconies, I think. As far as I know, that’s it for single occupancy balcony cabins on mainstream lines. I haven’t researched the luxury lines yet. 

As for beverage packages, I’ll be booking the Refreshments package on my upcoming RCI cruises. How many lattes can a Seattle gal drink? Well, how many ya got? 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Summerstravel said:

Thank you so much!

Tracie 

I saw where @coastcatexplained the Quantum-class ships. Here's a link with more detailed info, if you want to delve a little deeper;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum-class_cruise_ship

To add a note to what @coastcatsaid. the studio balcony cabins on RCI's Quantum-class ships are approx 130 sq ft. Compare that to NCL's studio cabins at a meager 99 sq ft. The studio balconies on the Quantum-class ships are on decks 6 & 7. I'm booked on a couple of them on deck 6 and I'm a little worried about a partially obstructed view from the top of the lifeboats when you are looking in a downward direction from your balcony. Additionally, due to a flare of the superstructure, the balconies on the more forward studio cabins are larger, with the furthermost cabin forward (on decks 6 & 7) having the largest balcony, the 2nd furthest cabin forward having the 2nd largest balcony & the most aft cabin having the smallest balcony.

Another interesting note; RCI's company Celebrity has those Single Infinite Veranda staterooms, as @coastcatpointed out. The Celebrity Edge has 16 of those while the new Celebrity Apex will have 24 of them, indicating to me that Celebrity (and RCI) is increasing it's marketing to solo cruisers.

Oh, by the way, if you're interested in booking one of those studio balcony cabins on a Quantum-class ship, act fast because they sell out fast!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, coastcat said:

Wait a couple months and I can link to my blog post on solo cabins! I’m putting together a website and YouTube channel for solo cruising but can’t focus until my data analytics class is done...

But in brief, Royal Caribbean has a Quantum class of ships: Quantum, Ovation, Anthem, Spectrum, and the new Odyssey. Each ship has 12 Studio Balcony cabins, which are smaller balcony cabins designed for single occupancy. Sister brand Celebrity also offers a solo balcony, the Single Infinite Veranda, on its Edge-class ships (Edge and Apex). Virgin Voyages also has single balconies, I think. As far as I know, that’s it for single occupancy balcony cabins on mainstream lines. I haven’t researched the luxury lines yet. 

As for beverage packages, I’ll be booking the Refreshments package on my upcoming RCI cruises. How many lattes can a Seattle gal drink? Well, how many ya got? 

Yes the refreshment package looks like a good choice for me as well. Thank you for your information it is really helpful. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, farmersfight said:

I saw where @coastcatexplained the Quantum-class ships. Here's a link with more detailed info, if you want to delve a little deeper;

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quantum-class_cruise_ship

To add a note to what @coastcatsaid. the studio balcony cabins on RCI's Quantum-class ships are approx 130 sq ft. Compare that to NCL's studio cabins at a meager 99 sq ft. The studio balconies on the Quantum-class ships are on decks 6 & 7. I'm booked on a couple of them on deck 6 and I'm a little worried about a partially obstructed view from the top of the lifeboats when you are looking in a downward direction from your balcony. Additionally, due to a flare of the superstructure, the balconies on the more forward studio cabins are larger, with the furthermost cabin forward (on decks 6 & 7) having the largest balcony, the 2nd furthest cabin forward having the 2nd largest balcony & the most aft cabin having the smallest balcony.

Another interesting note; RCI's company Celebrity has those Single Infinite Veranda staterooms, as @coastcatpointed out. The Celebrity Edge has 16 of those while the new Celebrity Apex will have 24 of them, indicating to me that Celebrity (and RCI) is increasing it's marketing to solo cruisers.

Oh, by the way, if you're interested in booking one of those studio balcony cabins on a Quantum-class ship, act fast because they sell out fast!

I was looking at a studio on RCI with a balcony. Deck 6 seems low to me.  Is it still pretty high off the water. Does the ocean ever reach balcony door? Yikes lol   

1 hour ago, Summerstravel said:

I was looking at a studio on RCI with a balcony. Deck 6 seems low to me.  Is it still pretty high off the water. Does the ocean ever reach balcony door? Yikes lol   

The Studio Balcony cabins are on decks 6 and 7. On deck 6 your view would be a little obstructed by lifeboats - clear view straight across but the lifeboats are just under the balcony. Deck 7 is unobstructed.

Now if you want to be really close to the water, there's always the cove balconies on Carnival!

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, coastcat said:

The Studio Balcony cabins are on decks 6 and 7. On deck 6 your view would be a little obstructed by lifeboats - clear view straight across but the lifeboats are just under the balcony. Deck 7 is unobstructed.

Now if you want to be really close to the water, there's always the cove balconies on Carnival!

Oh my no way lol I can't swim and I will not be staying in a cove. The first cruise I was on we had a bad storm with large swells18ft to 20ft so I worry the water will come into my cabin if I am to low. lol I like to view the ocean from a high deck. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Summerstravel said:

You have nothing to worry about on Deck 6, plenty high enough so the ocean won't ever reach the balcony door. Now the cove balcony cabins on Carnival that @coastcatmentioned is a different story. As I understand, the balconies are fitted with exterior closures that the crew will come around and close if the seas get too rough (where there is a chance the ocean could reach your balcony door).

• Like 2

9 hours ago, farmersfight said:

As I understand, the balconies are fitted with exterior closures that the crew will come around and close if the seas get too rough (where there is a chance the ocean could reach your balcony door).

That is my understanding as well.  I would not book a cove balcony on a Carnival vessel.  I had an in-hull balcony cabin on QM2.  Large balcony, two full size deck chairs, but, when sitting in a chair, one's view was of sky.  One had to stand in order to have a view of the sea.  I am not absolutely sure if that's the situation with the cove balcony cabins, but I wouldn't want to take a chance in booking one.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rkacruiser said:

That is my understanding as well.  I would not book a cove balcony on a Carnival vessel.  I had an in-hull balcony cabin on QM2.  Large balcony, two full size deck chairs, but, when sitting in a chair, one's view was of sky.  One had to stand in order to have a view of the sea.  I am not absolutely sure if that's the situation with the cove balcony cabins, but I wouldn't want to take a chance in booking one.  

On the other hand, it would be really cool to be THAT CLOSE to the ocean. I booked a cove balcony on Carnival Magic for an Eastern Caribbean trip next May. And if it's lousy, hey, I learned something new.

Edited by coastcat
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, coastcat said:

On the other hand, it would be really cool to be THAT CLOSE to the ocean. I booked a cove balcony on Carnival Magic for an Eastern Caribbean trip next May. And if it's lousy, hey, I learned something new.

Remember the old cereal commercial with "Mikey"?  "Try it, you may like it!" 

Edited by rkacruiser
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, coastcat said:

I agree, I also think it will be cool to be THAT CLOSE to the ocean. I don't have a cove balcony booked yet but I have one "on my radar" <- (pardon the electronic navigation pun) for, believe it or not, all the way out to Feb 2024. I'm looking at an 8-day Southern Caribbean out of Miami on the Carnival Horizon.

• Like 1