Iceland's Natural Beauty General - 2022

TayanaLorna

2 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

what the Viking Voyager app is for? 

There was a lot of trouble with the app on july 13 jupiter. My android version worked but DH iphone never did. We do a daily 4 question health survey and they like ypu to use the app, but we used the paper copy most days.

You can check menus and the day, but honestly, I rarely used it... never had our reservations listed correctly. 

• Like 1

On 7/17/2021 at 2:24 PM, philw1776 said:

Finally got my 3 July cruise pics processed. Great cruise! Would go again!
Click to view album via FLICKR.

Iceland

I finally got around to viewing your pictures. Thanks; great photos of a great family adventure!  I especially love the ones of the ship, tender boats, etc. I've been on Sky, but I still enjoy seeing her. 

Did you think the Wartime Museum/Scenic Drive excursion in Seydisfjordur was a decent excursion?  I know it wouldn't appeal to many people, and that things to do in Djupivogur are somewhat limited.  However, my husband wants to take that excursion unless it's a total waste of time. 

And the pictures of the artsy creations near where the whale/shark/whatever skeleton is located, was that on a Djupivogur excursion?  If so, which one - included one perhaps?

2 hours ago, librarylady19 said:

We saw these in Reykjavik while at Harpa Concert Hall. 

CCB16407-FFA0-4265-B043-B899134F809F.jpeg

Thanks, yes!  Great picture.  I have their names in my notes (told you I was a lighthouse nut!)  And I know there's one right near the cruise port, too!  There are a lot scattered around the coast of Iceland, but I'm thinking I'll only see a few of them because of how far out a cruise ship normally travels when going from one port to another.  And many of Iceland's are pretty short. 

28 minutes ago, minka34 said:

There was a lot of trouble with the app on july 13 jupiter. My android version worked but DH iphone never did. We do a daily 4 question health survey and they like ypu to use the app, but we used the paper copy most days.

You can check menus and the day, but honestly, I rarely used it... never had our reservations listed correctly. 

Thanks. We both have android, so maybe it will be fine. (Spouse is allergic to the internet, so I guess he'll be asking me to do his health surveys!  Sigh!)   

42 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

I finally got around to viewing your pictures. Thanks; great photos of a great family adventure!  I especially love the ones of the ship, tender boats, etc. I've been on Sky, but I still enjoy seeing her. 

Did you think the Wartime Museum/Scenic Drive excursion in Seydisfjordur was a decent excursion?  I know it wouldn't appeal to many people, and that things to do in Djupivogur are somewhat limited.  However, my husband wants to take that excursion unless it's a total waste of time. 

And the pictures of the artsy creations near where the whale/shark/whatever skeleton is located, was that on a Djupivogur excursion?  If so, which one - included one perhaps?

Seydisfjordur.  We like all things WWII so we enjoyed the small museum. Nothing special there though. The Maritime Museum was even smaller and upstairs there was "old stuff" not maritime but interesting to us. I'd rate the excursion as OK. Wife liked it better. 

Djupivogur. The artsy stuff near the whale skeleton is a quirky mostly outdoor shop worth seeing and yes on the included walk. Our included walking tour guide (an actor wannabe from NYC!) was poor so I left the tour at its eggs far point and walked back to the ship. I DO recommend the tour however; there are lots of different guides. The 3 beautiful arias sung inside the old tank in the dark with just candlelight and the acoustics was worth the excursion.
Daughter & granddaughter walked the miles to the black sand beach and back on their own; made it back in time for tea.

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, bardstowntraveller said:

Has anyone on upcoming cruises gotten notification from Viking regarding the new Covid test requirement?  We are on 8/3 cruise and haven’t heard a peep. Would be totally unaware if it wasn’t for this site

We are on the 7/27 cruise (next week!!) and did not receive anything yet though my travel agent said it was supposed to be out yesterday. She suggested that Viking was trying to negotiate with Iceland: because our group would be leaving the US on 7/26 we wouldn't be subject to the testing. Wouldn't that be wonderful. But doubtful.

Info from another board says you will need a test if leaving 7/26 (landin on 7/27). Also Iceland's website indicates a quick test or PCR test is good for vaccinated people but Viking is saying PCR. The link for the Viking  requirements that was just updated on 7/21 is:

https://docs.vikingcruises.com/pdf/14-210721-RestartPreCruiseRequirement-Iceland-US-UK%20FINAL.pdf

FYI - someone on the other board is planning to double check the PCR requirement with their Viking contact since it appears to be more restrictive than Iceland's offical website.

• Like 2

With all the documents to carry, this worked well for us. It holds your passport and vacc. Card. I just folded and tucked my barcode paper and later my neg Covid test behind the vacc card. No digging in a folder or pocket to retrieve everything. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0973XP2Q6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

4 minutes ago, shipster60 said:

With all the documents to carry, this worked well for us. It holds your passport and vacc. Card. I just folded and tucked my barcode paper and later my neg Covid test behind the vacc card. No digging in a folder or pocket to retrieve everything. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0973XP2Q6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I see my link doesn’t work. I’ll try again. 

23 hours ago, dcl999 said:

Can I totally rely on my credit card for this cruise?

We are just finishing our Iceland cruise. We got no ISK and haven’t needed it anywhere. Credit card used for taxi, street vendors, everything. The few times we tipped, we used USD. 

I just called Viking for help changing time on an excursion.  Since I was on the line, I asked about the Viking recommendation/requirement for PCR, not antigen testing coming next week, as it affects us.  I was told that Viking believes PCR is best  - some airlines/airports don't accept antigen, requirements could change anytime with Iceland, and it's more accurate.  I made reservations at Quest Labs for PCR.  They indicate a 1 to 2 day turnaround, mostly just one if receive sample same day.  They had a good number of spots available locally.  Test is self-administered in front of someone from Quest.  

• Like 1

Today 7/22/2021 updated on the Iceland Air website:

(Note:

If fully vaccinated or recovered - PCR and rapid antigen accepted 

If not fully vaccinated/not previously infected - only PCR accepted)

May be up to whatever airline you are flying in on -- and Viking may be making up its "own rules" which appear to be more stringent than Iceland, i.e. masking, group sizes, social distancing.

I am continuing to follow on is.com and Iceland air.

-------------------

Source Iceland air website update 7/22/2021 copied 12:06 p.m.

Passengers vaccinated against COVID-19 or recovered from it

Until July 26, GMT 23:59: No. If you hold an appropriate certificate showing full vaccination or previous infection, you do not need to have a PCR test to board your flight to Iceland.

Starting July 27: Yes. A new rule states that you require a negative test before boarding an aircraft to Iceland, taken within 72 hours of departure. Both PCR and rapid antigen test results are accepted. These are new entry rules will apply as of GMT 00:00 on July 27.

Passengers not vaccinated against COVID-19 and not previously infected

Yes, you do need a negative PCR test. Rapid antigen tests are not valid.

It is mandatory for passengers to show a certificate of negative PCR test before boarding an aircraft to Iceland, and also upon arrival in Iceland. The test must be taken within 72 hours of departure.

6 hours ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

This screensaver greeted me today:  I had seen something about it before, but didn't know much about it.  It's reachable on the far side of Reykjavik's Old Harbor.  It's called an "installation" on at a map I saw. 

reykj Thufa pufa hill .jpg

You can see it behind the Harpa Concert Hall and it's very small. I thought it would be a beautiful massive mound but it's not. Still cool to see though.😃

• Like 1

Really hoping someone can help me and this is the correct place to ask.  Just booked Aug 7th with Viking Sky.  We are coming from Canada. I have read about a scan code you can get ahead of time to enter Iceland, is this for passengers from the USA only?  We will need a PCR test to get back into Canada....is this offered on the ship? 

8 minutes ago, hoorayy said:

Really hoping someone can help me and this is the correct place to ask.  Just booked Aug 7th with Viking Sky.  We are coming from Canada. I have read about a scan code you can get ahead of time to enter Iceland, is this for passengers from the USA only?  We will need a PCR test to get back into Canada....is this offered on the ship? 

I don't know if Canadians are required to get the barcode for Iceland, but I would think so.  Viking will give you instructions on how/when to access it.  It's called an Iceland Pre-registration form and must be completed no more than 72 hours prior to arrival in Iceland and no less than one day prior to arrival.  You'll be asked to provide mobile number and asked to request a verification number.  Once you get that, you move on to next step, which is answering questions.   You'll then receive a barcode. It's recommended that you print this to make getting through the Iceland airport faster.  

Viking will provide test results of their PCR test the night before you travel back home.  If you're flying home directly, you're fine.  If you're staying for several days before returning home, you may not be able to use it.  

• Like 2

2 hours ago, hoorayy said:

Scan code is basically from Iceland government, not US thing. You will get link and need to do it 3 days before arrival. PRC tests on Viking will be PLENTIFUL. You will be PCR tested every day on the ship (spit test) and can use the one from the next-to-last day for return to Canada, unless you are spending a few extra days in Iceland after cruise, in which care you will need to get tested there. Viking has installed PRC equipment on the ship to test everyone every day.

It looks like a pdf for a specific sailing. If you are looking to verify what Covid tests are acceptable please be sure to click through to the official Iceland site as suggested by Viking. The click through is the last item listed on page 2. 

This evening we got an email from Viking, specific to our August 3 sailing, which indicates (in red!) that we should get a PCR test, however, if not available, Iceland will accept an antigen (assuming you're fully vaccinated with one of the vaccines listed in the email). There's also a revised chart of what we have to do pre-cruise. It includes the test.

• Like 1