Cruising from NYC - dressier crowd?

ekerr19

Just curious about something - when we've cruised in Europe, we find the majority of passengers tended to dress up more for dinner and evening activities than they do on cruises to Mexico or the islands, which do seem to have a bit more relaxed atmosphere.

In my limited travels to NYC, I've noticed many people seem to dress nicely for an evening out as well, but not having traveled to NYC as frequently as some of you, I really can't say with certainty.

Because I consider the inaugural of the Noordam such a festive occasion, I plan on taking clothes that are a bit more formal anyway - but I was curious if anyone has had first hand experience where the port of embarkation and cruise destination had an effect on evening attire...

Would you dress differently for a cruise embarking from New York than you would from a cruise leaving Ft. Lauderdale?

Just curious about something - when we've cruised in Europe, we find the majority of passengers tended to dress up more for dinner and evening activities than they do on cruises to Mexico or the islands, which do seem to have a bit more relaxed atmosphere.

In my limited travels to NYC, I've noticed many people seem to dress nicely for an evening out as well, but not having traveled to NYC as frequently as some of you, I really can't say with certainty.

Because I consider the inaugural of the Noordam such a festive occasion, I plan on taking clothes that are a bit more formal anyway - but I was curious if anyone has had first hand experience where the port of embarkation and cruise destination had an effect on evening attire...

Would you dress differently for a cruise embarking from New York than you would from a cruise leaving Ft. Lauderdale?

Personally, I would dress the same for both. I grew up outside of Manhattan and still visit often so I enjoy and appreciate dressing up for an evening out and continue that practice in FL, my current home.

I do think the cruise line matters as well, as I was aboard the NCL Dawn for a visit and was quite surprised at the attire I saw.

I always dress for dinner---the itinerary or port of embarkation makes no difference.

I take the same clothes no matter if the cruise is 7 days or 35. On the longer one I just take a few more of them! :D

GOOD question.

Here's my packing list for this cruise.

Worn in transit to NYC on Sunday and to the Ship on Wed:

*Black suit, tab clergy shirt, dress shoes (i.e., my Sunday "uniform" ... I'll be going to the airport from the Church.)

Formal:

*Tuxedo

*Formal tux Shirts

*Black and blue bow ties, cummerbund, shirt studs, cufflinks, etc.

*Neckband formal clergy shirt, neckband collar, formal clerical vest.

Informals:

*Grey Suit

*Shirts (1 white, 1 blue, at least 1 tie)

Casual Evening Clothing:

*2 knit shirts

*2 black silk print shirts (tiger and island)

*1 Tropical/Hawaiian shirt

*2 good pair of slacks (new)

*Casual shoes

Daytime Wear (ship and shore):

*6 daytime polos shirts

*2 pair of daytime wear slacks

*1 pair shorts

*Swim wear

*Workout wear (sweatshorts, sweatshirt, t-shirt)

*Walking shoes

*bierkenstocks

Other Clothing and Related Items:

*18 pair of shorts and 7 undershirts

*Shaving Kit (all bathroom articles)

Stuff:

*iPod and on stage

*Short, Multi-Plug Extension Cord

*Prescriptions

*Sinus/headache/other minor pain medicines

*Small Flashlight

*Laptop

*Digital Cameras and assorted accessories

*Digital Video camera and assorted accessories

*Publications to give to ship's library and friends

*Travel documents

*Money (travelers checks/credit cards/cash)

*Duck Tape (for strapping cabin steward to bags for trip home)

Other than chain saw for slaughtering ol' bessy, what have I forgotten?

Erkerr-

Leaving from NYC, you will see a lot more black on the women, and more high heels than other ports.

Because we depart on a business day, it will be mostly black dresses worn under blazers; because it will be chilly, all but the youngest will be wearing stockings (isn't it odd how that isn't a given, anymore? Even for formal occasions?)

I'd guess that those little black dresses (gradually shedding the blazers) won't dissapear until we dock in Grand Turk, and will reappear the night that we're in St. Martin (with perhaps, a strappy sandal).

I'd also bet that we're going to see more than the normal share of furs and "the good jewelry" on this trip, as well.

See you next week :eek:

GOOD question.

Here's my packing list for this cruise.

Worn in transit to NYC on Sunday and to the Ship on Wed:

*Black suit, tab clergy shirt, dress shoes (i.e., my Sunday "uniform" ... I'll be going to the airport from the Church.)

Formal:

*Tuxedo

*Formal tux Shirts

*Black and blue bow ties, cummerbund, shirt studs, cufflinks, etc.

*Neckband formal clergy shirt, neckband collar, formal clerical vest.

Informals:

*Grey Suit

*Shirts (1 white, 1 blue, at least 1 tie)

Casual Evening Clothing:

*2 knit shirts

*2 black silk print shirts (tiger and island)

*1 Tropical/Hawaiian shirt

*2 good pair of slacks (new)

*Casual shoes

Daytime Wear (ship and shore):

*6 daytime polos shirts

*2 pair of daytime wear slacks

*1 pair shorts

*Swim wear

*Workout wear (sweatshorts, sweatshirt, t-shirt)

*Walking shoes

*bierkenstocks

Other Clothing and Related Items:

*18 pair of shorts and 7 undershirts

*Shaving Kit (all bathroom articles)

Stuff:

*iPod and on stage

*Short, Multi-Plug Extension Cord

*Prescriptions

*Sinus/headache/other minor pain medicines

*Small Flashlight

*Laptop

*Digital Cameras and assorted accessories

*Digital Video camera and assorted accessories

*Publications to give to ship's library and friends

*Travel documents

*Money (travelers checks/credit cards/cash)

*Duck Tape (for strapping cabin steward to bags for trip home)

Other than chain saw for slaughtering ol' bessy, what have I forgotten?

A little reading material? Perhaps a Good Book?

A little reading material? Perhaps a Good Book?

I'm currently listening to the Harry Potter series. I've got all the currently published books on my iPod, and have two books left to go to be up-to-date. I WILL be bringing 1 book for theological reading.

I'm currently listening to the Harry Potter series. I've got all the currently published books on my iPod, and have two books left to go to be up-to-date. I WILL be bringing 1 book for theological reading.

Way off topic but... How much space does the HP series take up on an iPod. Did you download the books off itunes or did you buy the CDs and download them to the iPod?

Who is the reader on the HP audio books.

Way off topic but... How much space does the HP series take up on an iPod. Did you download the books off itunes or did you buy the CDs and download them to the iPod?

Who is the reader on the HP audio books.

The 6 books were narrated by Jim Dale ... and he did a fantastic job. I don't know how much space it takes up on my iPod ... not a great deal, though. The whole set is 95 hours 4 minutes in length.

I have dozens of audiobooks, tens of thousands of hours of music (my entire music library, actually), and all my audio sermon files. I don't travel any distance without my iPod.

I have to agree with Ruth C and Lougee1043. Although you forgot to mention the "Best Coast" embarkation points, we are waaaaay more laid back and relaxed in our attitudes out here in the west but when it comes to dressing for dinner we do, somehow, manage to scrounge up some fancy duds for the occasion.

I think that you are more likely to find a little more "glitter" here since those Little Black Dresses are sooooo "yesterday", but hopefully it won't be OTT. Personally, I have switched from black to navy and was thrilled to be told be a very elegant woman on my last cruise that she thought that I looked gorgeous in my outfit. If she had been a total slob I would not have been terribly impressed but this woman was looking pretty gorgeous and elegant herself, even if she was wearing basic black, and her husband was looking pretty gorgeous also in his Tuxedo.:D

Go ahead and wear those fancy clothes. What's the worst that could happen to you - you could be the best dressed person in the Dining Room? How many times do you have a chance to dress up in fancy clothes? HAL is giving you an opportunity to do so - go for it and have a wonderful time on your cruise.

Valerie:)

Here's a dress-code-related question relative to our 10 day Maiden cruise aboard the Noordam.

Our cruise documents say we've got 3 Formal Nights, 2 Informal Nights, and 5 Casual Nights. Does anyone have a guess as to how the Formal and Informal Nights will be distributed in our Itinerary?

0 New York, New York -- Depart: 4:45 pm

1 Cruising The Atlantic Ocean

2 At Sea

3 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 2:00 pm

4 Road Town, Tortola -- Arrive: Noon / Depart: Midnight

5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 6:00 pm

6 St. Thomas, U.S. V.I. -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 6:00 pm

7 San Juan, Puerto Rico -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 1:00 pm

8 At Sea

9 Cruising The Atlantic Ocean

10 New York, New York -- Arrive: 8:00 am

Based upon past experience it would seem likely to me that Days 1 and 8 would be formal nights. But where does the other Formal night go? Based upon the above schedule for ports and times of departure, my guesses would be that the other Formal night would be Day 3, and the informal nights would be Days 2 and 7.

Also, just as an observation based upon the ship's departure schedule, the Deck BBQ will probably be on the evening of Day 4.

Does this sound like a reasonable guess? Or, does someone have "inside info"?

As of now the long range forecast for Wednesday, 2/22, is partly cloudy, high of 40, low of 31. However you dress, bring some warm clothing!

Because we have an 11 day itinerary more than 9 months away, on 11/25/06, we hadn't paid any attention to the 10 day itinerary, as posted by Rev. Greg. It's interesting that 4 of your 5 ports are the same as on the 11 day: Tortola, St. Thomas, St. Martin, & San Juan. The 10 day also has Turks & Caicos, while the 11 day has Dominica and Barbados. We guess HAL wasn't planning on getting a lot of B2B business!

In our post asking you to give us your first impressions, we hadn't focused on itinerary. Having seen the 2/22 itinerary, we're curious as to what is being offered for the evening in Tortola, and for the very short visit in San Juan. We'll probably do San Juan on our own, but haven't a clue as to what to do in Tortola.

Greg - I would venture to say it you have right, though I have no inside info... unless of course, they elect to eliminate one of the formal nights - I think they did when I cruised from Norfolk on the Maasdam... not certain however, but I seem to recall it being that cruise.

Having seen the 2/22 itinerary, we're curious as to what is being offered for the evening in Tortola, and for the very short visit in San Juan. We'll probably do San Juan on our own, but haven't a clue as to what to do in Tortola.

San Juan is a tough one - we've done a similar cruise with a short stay in San Juan. We had to go through the immigration line in the library before anyone was allowed to disembark. By the time that was over, there was literally three hours left before departure. Plus we were there on a Sunday - almost everything is closed on Sunday until afternoon.

We ended up staying onboard. Our kids went with some others and went to Mickie D's (they were suffering withdrawal, I guess) but it was about the only place open.

0 New York, New York -- Depart: 4:45 pm

1 Cruising The Atlantic Ocean

2 At Sea

3 Grand Turk, Turks & Caicos Islands -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 2:00 pm

4 Road Town, Tortola -- Arrive: Noon / Depart: Midnight

5 Philipsburg, St. Maarten -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 6:00 pm

6 St. Thomas, U.S. V.I. -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 6:00 pm

7 San Juan, Puerto Rico -- Arrive: 7:00 am / Depart: 1:00 pm

8 At Sea

9 Cruising The Atlantic Ocean

10 New York, New York -- Arrive: 8:00 am

three formal nites --my guess would be 2-7-8

San Juan is a tough one - we've done a similar cruise with a short stay in San Juan. We had to go through the immigration line in the library before anyone was allowed to disembark. By the time that was over, there was literally three hours left before departure. Plus we were there on a Sunday - almost everything is closed on Sunday until afternoon.

It's a good thing we'll have cleared Immigration at St. Thomas the day before, then. We shouldn't have to go through it in San Juan and blow part of the morning.

I dress the same regardless of where the ship is leaving from. Will you have a better dressed crowd leaving out of New York?, not so sure. I always loved to go to the theater in New York, and appreciated the fact that people would dress proper. These days it seems it is a much more casually dressed theater crowd.

7 & 8?

Two formal nights back-to-back?

I've never seen that on HAL before. I've seen Formal / Informal / Formal. But never Formal / Formal before.

i really agree with you but if there are 3- they are the only ones that make sense --2 are sea days and the 3rd is an early return to the ship

It's a good thing we'll have cleared Immigration at St. Thomas the day before, then. We shouldn't have to go through it in San Juan and blow part of the morning.

Ah, I missed that - thanks! :)

You know, come to think of it we've been on a few cruises where a 6:00pm sail away had no impact on whether it was formal night or not...

I am going to guess the following: 2, 5 & 8

Now I'm going to see if I can get some inside scoop. ;)

i really agree with you but if there are 3- they are the only ones that make sense --2 are sea days and the 3rd is an early return to the ship

While it is, indeed, standard to have Formal Nights only on Sea Days, I have been on 3 HAL cruises where we had a Formal Night on an early-departure port day. The one that comes most readily to mind was our 2 pm departure from Santa Cruz Huatulco while on the 2004 Zaandam Panama Canal Cruise. We had a formal night that evening.

Rev - Thanks so very much for your educated guestimates for the formal night schedule. (I agree that 2 formal nights in a row is unlikely). It's nice to have that info in advance of the cruise so that I can make sure DH's shirts are all pressed & ready to go. I hope they'll travel well, but if I need to send them out once on board, knowing the schedule ahead of time really helps. I don't want to overburden the steward or laundry service by sending out everything as soon as we embark!

Re: your packing list - how about pj's? ;) I thought I was pretty organized, but I don't make a list. Hadn't even thought of it. That's a great idea. ONE MORE WEEK!!!

Archived