Which Cruise?

mrg013

I’m planning our first cruise ever to the western Caribbean in August. We were pretty much set on the Mariner of the Seas from Port Canaveral on 8/13. However, I just found a cruise on Carnival Miracle out of Tampa for the same dates. I’ve been hearing a lot about how “inferior” Carnival is to Royal Caribbean. Is this really true? Since it’s our first cruise, would we have a significantly different experience on one line versus the other? The Carnival cruise actually stops in places we are more interested in visiting, such as Belize, but the ports for Royal Caribbean are fine, too. On Mariner we would probably get two junior suites. On Carnival it would be two category 11 suites, which seem to be basically the same as junior suites. However, the Carnival rooms are about $1000 less total. We are very worried about being on a ship that is “boring” on at sea days, and also we definitely want a ship that is beautiful, with nice cabins. Which cruise would you recommend? Is Royal Caribbean worth the extra $1000? I’ve also posted this on the Carnival board. Thanks!

The people on this board are basically loyal to Royal Caribbean and will tend to bash Carnival and the people on the Carnival board are loyal to Carnival and will bash Royal Caribbean. Which line is really better will always be a matter of opinion. The two lines are different and people sail on them because they appreciate the differences. You will never know which line is better for you until you have experienced both. Its also diffiuclt to make a comparison since Carnival does not have any ships that are comparable to the Mariner.

It depends mostly on who YOU are. We don't know anything about you. You can choose to tell us more, or not, but unless we know WHO you are, how OLD you are, what your BACKGROUND and TASTES are, we can't even guess if you'll be happier on RC or on Carnival.

:)

I agree with the previous posters... knowing more about your group would be beneficial in determining which cruise (or both) is best suited for you.

I've been on 5 cruises thus far... 2 Carnival, 2 Royal Caribbean and a Disney cruise. Two have been just my wife and I (honeymoon on the Destiny.. first cruise, and a 4 nighter on the Monarch), two have been with two pre-teens (Disney Magic and Carnival triumph) and one was with 2 preteens and a 2 year old (Royal Caribbean Mariner of the Seas).

I enjoyed them all. If you are a group of adults... I don't think you can go wrong with either cruise. There are differences... though not major... Food and entertainment are comparable (keep in mind... my Carnival cruises were on older ships... still loved them... new ships are probably even better).

I thought the pools were better on RC... Mariner was great and believe it or not, the Monarch pools were very nice! Carnival has a bit more of a party atmosphere (not much... Mariner had plenty too) and RC has better family recreational opportunities (rock climbing, mini golf, ice skating)... but Carnival has that water slide!

So... If it were me... sailing with just my wife... either ship would be absolutely fine! I'd choose based on ports and price. If I were bringing the kids, I'd lean towards an RC Voyager class ship....

How's that for a wishy-washy... no-help-whatsoever... Reply!

Cheers....

Gusman

Archived