Balcony allocations

EllieinNJ

Whenever I do a search of balcony cabins on the plus size ships, only the cabins with a (+) on the starboard side come up as available for the lower end balconies (BF & BB).  It indicates these cabins hold 4 people.  If only two people book this room will there be a problem like hitting your head on the bed attached to the wall?  

Can you ask for the cabins with the triangles and/or portside, if available?

34 minutes ago, EllieinNJ said:

Whenever I do a search of balcony cabins on the plus size ships, only the cabins with a (+) on the starboard side come up as available for the lower end balconies (BF & BB).  It indicates these cabins hold 4 people.  If only two people book this room will there be a problem like hitting your head on the bed attached to the wall?  

The NCL website only shows 10 or 15 (I forget the exact number) available cabins even if there are more available.  So, yes, you can call NCL on the phone and many additional cabins MAY be available that don't show up on the web.

But I've also never heard anyone complain about hitting their head on one of the fold-down beds when they are folded up.  Maybe I've just missed it.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

If only two people book this room will there be a problem like hitting your head on the bed attached to the wall?  

The bed for guest #4 folds into the ceiling when not in use. You won't even see it. 

5 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

You can call and ask what specific stateroom is available. The website only shows a few of the available staterooms. 

• Like 1

When I am deciding on my cruise, I study the deck plans, and select my "preferred" cabin.  The one that I would LIKE to stay in.  DH and I are not too picky, but we like staying midship, with a deck of cabins above and below us and the public areas, and we are good with near the elevator.  That is really it.  So I look for the cabins, in the cabin category that I want. I do this because their idea of the best cabin, is not necessarily MY idea. Pick my preferred and a couple of "back ups".  I always call my PCC, and then ask for my #1 choice. Also, online, I cant change the deck from the list that they generate, so my cabin, may be available, but not showing online.  I usually always get it.  When I booked for us and my in-laws, the cabins I chose for us were the identical cabin - directly across from each other.  Online never showed that they were available.

As others have stated, the bed folds down from the wall/ceiling so you wont even know it is there unless you look for it.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Does this apply to oceanview/interior cabins as well?

Yes.  My first cruise, was an ocean view and I have a vague recollection of seeing the space on the ceiling.  The next few were interior and I remember it (even slept in one of those).  I recall seeing it in my balconies too.  The one time that we had 3 in the room, I slept in the top bunk, and I didnt feel it was "in the way"  I think we actually had both top bunks down, (used the other for extra shelf space i think).  Other than it being close quarters for 3 adult women with a ton of crap....it was good.  I would have to go back and identify my room on each to confirm, but the only time that it was actually down was the one time that we needed it.  Never saw it otherwise.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MrsTocko said:

Yes.  My first cruise, was an ocean view and I have a vague recollection of seeing the space on the ceiling.  The next few were interior and I remember it (even slept in one of those).  I recall seeing it in my balconies too.  The one time that we had 3 in the room, I slept in the top bunk, and I didnt feel it was "in the way"  I think we actually had both top bunks down, (used the other for extra shelf space i think).  Other than it being close quarters for 3 adult women with a ton of crap....it was good.  I would have to go back and identify my room on each to confirm, but the only time that it was actually down was the one time that we needed it.  Never saw it otherwise.

Oh, this is good to know!  In so many o the pictures on the NCL website, it looks like they're murphy beds from the wall, and stick out about 6".  I've been avoiding rooms that hold more than two for that reason.

1 hour ago, MrsTocko said:

When I am deciding on my cruise, I study the deck plans, and select my "preferred" cabin.  The one that I would LIKE to stay in.  DH and I are not too picky, but we like staying midship, with a deck of cabins above and below us and the public areas, and we are good with near the elevator.  That is really it.  So I look for the cabins, in the cabin category that I want. I do this because their idea of the best cabin, is not necessarily MY idea. Pick my preferred and a couple of "back ups".  I always call my PCC, and then ask for my #1 choice. Also, online, I cant change the deck from the list that they generate, so my cabin, may be available, but not showing online.  I usually always get it.  When I booked for us and my in-laws, the cabins I chose for us were the identical cabin - directly across from each other.  Online never showed that they were available.

As others have stated, the bed folds down from the wall/ceiling so you wont even know it is there unless you look for it.

I liked midship as well, I tried figuring out where the bed was but usually lucked out.

Surprisingly, I got upgraded (GTY) to an aft and didn't like it as it was too warm from the sun and someone 2 doors down was smoking. I didn't want to say anything because the person spent all this money on the corner for his girlfriend and she like left him during the cruise. 

12 hours ago, EllieinNJ said:

If people are drunk the % of hitting their head defintely increases. That much I know. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Named-Tawny said:

Oh, this is good to know!  In so many o the pictures on the NCL website, it looks like they're murphy beds from the wall, and stick out about 6".  I've been avoiding rooms that hold more than two for that reason.

You will only see them, if you need them.  I would imagine that they show them like that to reassure the ones that need it.

3 minutes ago, HowardK said:

I liked midship as well, I tried figuring out where the bed was but usually lucked out.

Surprisingly, I got upgraded (GTY) to an aft and didn't like it as it was too warm from the sun and someone 2 doors down was smoking. I didn't want to say anything because the person spent all this money on the corner for his girlfriend and she like left him during the cruise. 

I learned - I get motion sick.  I did in the car yesterday morning. So it was a lot of trial and error to get find cabins that I am OK in.  Would love to do a GTY for the savings, but not worth it.  I also usually tend to not bid for upgrades, for the same reason, that who knows where I will end up?  Only thing that DH "insists" on is balcony.  I avoided it for years, because I knew that I would never go back to an interior.  So my first balcony, was my husbands first cruise (and our honeymoon), and we have stayed there.  We do like those bump-out ones though.

We usually stay right off the mid-ship elevators.   Never had a problem with noise from elevators or people. I think most people are afraid it will be too noisy, so it is usually available.  DH sleeps pretty lite and hasnt has issue with it.