CDC-update May 5th

Tjcalley

4 minutes ago, Sinbadssailors said:

And less cancer means lower insurance costs...

Oh oh I know....

The CDC could mandate the removal of lounge chairs entirely- keep us out of the sun and away from each other.

For our own good and the health of others

In fact, I heard the CDC will mandate all sunbathers wear 1920s era bathing suits because they cover most of the exposed skin....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

Store mask policies are neither laws nor regs - they merely are conditions for entering that private business. The worst that can happen is they throw you out (unless you create a disturbance, then law enforcement may be called). Moreover, if you have a disability and are unable to wear a mask, stores are public accommodations and must reasonably accommodate you. Any public accommodation that indicates "no exceptions" is setting itself up for an ADA lawsuit.

Right but it's not up to patrons to decide they can gleefully violate that policy minus some major disability without consequences. It's not discrimination.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Buckeyefrank100 said:

The problem with this is that it's not the business' policy.  it's strictly the policy of one branch of government.  The policies put in place by these governors do not have the force of law.  In Ohio, policy changes for public health are only effective for 90 days.  After that the state legislature needs to approve any ongoing policies.  These in Ohio are well over 90 days old.  They only exist now because people aren't rising up.

I was specifically referring to policies put in place by private business.  Whether or not those policies follow guidance of the CDC does not impact the lawful application of those policies.  A business can have and enforce a mask policy.  Wear one or remove yourself from the premises.  If you refuse to remove yourself when asked, the police can be called upon to assist.  Has no one learned that from the many, many, many examples we have seen in the news.  Airlines are a perfect example.

I know that no one likes the CDC guidance, however, if it is employed by the cruise lines in their protocols in order to sail, people will need to comply or just not cruise. The CDC has said that they will be inspecting the application of the protocols and any cruise line that wishes to continue to sail will need to enforce them.   Those who "rise up" (as you call it) will simply spoil the experience for everyone else, not to mention for themselves by being left at the next available port.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, cellfree said:

Just wondering and don't know if this is proper "thread" to ask my question or not - was CDC as involved with cruise lines as they are now - were they always the final say in what was to happen on board - apparently now (for sure) they have all the control?!

It's legally questionable whether the CDC, in fact, has this breadth of authority over cruise lines or if they do, they're being arbitrary and capricious. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, harkinmr said:

I was specifically referring to policies put in place by private business.  Whether or not those policies follow guidance of the CDC does not impact the lawful application of those policies.  A business can have and enforce a mask policy.  Wear one or remove yourself from the premises.  If you refuse to remove yourself when asked, the police can be called upon to assist.  Has no one learned that from the many, many, many examples we have seen in the news.  Airlines are a perfect example.

I know that no one likes the CDC guidance, however, if it is employed by the cruise lines in their protocols in order to sail, people will need to comply or just not cruise. The CDC has said that they will be inspecting the application of the protocols and any cruise line that wishes to continue to sail will need to enforce them.   Those who "rise up" (as you call it) will simply spoil the experience for everyone else, not to mention for themselves by being left at the next available port.

You're assuming the CDC, in fact, has this level of authority over the cruise lines....

34 minutes ago, bucfan2 said:

Please stop trying to portray your view as being the same as all Christians' views.

Fair enough but don't try to portray mask wearing avoidance as a Christian principle either as it has ZERO to do with the faith/bible. Call it like it is, a secular choice.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

It's legally questionable whether the CDC, in fact, has this breadth of authority over cruise lines or if they do, they're being arbitrary and capricious. 

It is legally questionable whether anyone other than cruise lines has standing to challenge, and cruise lines have not shown any interest in doing so.

2 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

You're assuming the CDC, in fact, has this level of authority over the cruise lines....

They do.  And throwing out legal terminology like "arbitrary and capricious", whether in a lawsuit or otherwise, doesn't make it so.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ChutChut said:

In fact, I heard the CDC will mandate all sunbathers wear 1920s era bathing suits because they cover most of the exposed skin....

Now, a serious question: a big part of my cruise experience is steam room (sauna) like on The SEA Thermal Suite on Celebrity Edge

I didn't read any notation from any cruise line or cruisecritic about restriction/closure on this topic.  I can see my unpleasant surprise and disappointment when I find them closed upon embarkation (it's also payed for with extra $$ after all say in for example, Aqua Class or on a luxury cruise line), and that's a huge deal for me (similar to getting a muffin in a brown bag in first class air).  So, does anyone know about such restriction?

3 minutes ago, ledges1 said:

That is a bar in Key West. 

4 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

Right but it's not up to patrons to decide they can gleefully violate that policy minus some major disability without consequences. It's not discrimination.

Agreed but a lot of people have disabilities that are governed by the ADA.

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

It is legally questionable whether anyone other than cruise lines has standing to challenge, and cruise lines have not shown any interest in doing so.

States have had to pay unemployment and have lost out on millions in tax revenues.

Edited by regoodwinjr

10 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Unfortunately, the next available port will be not available.

6 minutes ago, BlerkOne said:

You're right. Thus far, cruise lines have been compliant. However, I suspect that's about to change....

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, embarkation75 said:

Ha! Coming soon I expect as honestly the entire thing needs deleted at this point!

The hardcore's will go to another thread and continue their amusing comments. 

11 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

They do.  And throwing out legal terminology like "arbitrary and capricious", whether in a lawsuit or otherwise, doesn't make it so.

It's clear you don't understand the import of "arbitrary and capricious" and how it applies to governmental agencies and their actions. It's also clear you haven't a clue about whether the CDC does, in fact, have this breadth of authority over cruise lines....

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, kirtihk said:

Now, a serious question: a big part of my cruise experience is steam room (sauna) like on The SEA Thermal Suite on Celebrity Edge

I didn't read any notation from any cruise line or cruisecritic about restriction/closure on this topic.  I can see my unpleasant surprise and disappointment when I find them closed upon embarkation (it's also payed for with extra $$ after all say in for example, Aqua Class or on a luxury cruise line), and that's a huge deal for me (similar to getting a muffin in a brown bag in first class air).  So, does anyone know about such restriction?

the only thing I see listed is    

• Entertainment Venues and Activities, Gyms, and Spas

And I'm not sure that fits.