Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

15 minutes ago, Queenie1603 said:

We are on the Iceland trip in August.  I contacted Staysure to check this out as our policy is with them. The person I spoke to was adamant we were covered. So there is a difference depending who you speak to!!  I think I  will email them and ask them to clarify this -  it takes a long time to get through to someone.

Asking for it in writing that 'international cruising' is covered, seems to be the key and once the underwriters pick it up, they are changing their minds.

1 minute ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

It's an awful situation us Brits have been put in and the conflicting information from Staysure isn't helping. I've contacted 5 other insurance companies in the UK and all of them have said that they cannot provide insurance for International cruises because of the government advisory.

We're 9 days from taking this cruise and Viking are acting like nothing has changed. Just last night I received a reminded that our health questionnaire would need to be completed in 2 days time. What's more confusing is that there was no mention of what will happen if we're unable to provide proof on International cruise cover. Can we still travel? Will we be denied boarding?

I've been racking my brain, trying to come up with a solution and the only thing I can think of is finding a non UK based insurance company to provide cover. I'm currently in contact with an insurer in the US that provides cover to non US International travellers. I'm still waiting for more information from them.

Just come off the phone with Viking - they are aware of the issue and are looking to see if they can find an insurer that is willing to work with them (not their normal practice) - but that is only just being discussed.
Give them a ring so that your record shows you have attempted but failed to get cover, so you will be contacted when they have more information - they were being understanding and as helpful as they could in the circumstances.

10 minutes ago, Icedonut said:

Just come off the phone with Viking - they are aware of the issue and are looking to see if they can find an insurer that is willing to work with them (not their normal practice) - but that is only just being discussed.
Give them a ring so that your record shows you have attempted but failed to get cover, so you will be contacted when they have more information - they were being understanding and as helpful as they could in the circumstances.

Will call them now. Thank you for this. I'm glad, if true, that they're attempting to find a solution.

5 hours ago, mediawise said:

Your cruise companions have made their way onto the ship and have settled into their cabin.  They are among the 200 passengers that boarded on 'Wednesday.  This ship has about 400 crew so the passengers will be well cared for during the voyage.  

Have a wonderful time!

Wow, so informative and reassuring to finally see your smiles from Malta. Thank you so much for sharing your experiences during these unusual travel times. You both deserve your own private yacht.  Could you ask someone if Viking is limiting the max numbers of passengers or should we expect a full ship in late August? Anxious to hear your experiences in Montenegro and Croatia. Finally, are you required to wear a mask outside around the pool? Does anyone have any recommendations for "cool and comfortable" masks?

1 hour ago, Pwalczyk said:

Have a wonderful time!

AWESOME!!! You 2 are outstanding. Thank you so much for doing this for all of us nervous cool cruisers. Now Faye & Carl from Northern Virginia (Warrenton) are excited for August 30 to roll around! This will be our 6th Viking cruise (2 of them river, China & Europe) Last one was 4/12/2019 on Jupiter.

Sounds like Viking is doing a wonderful job of keeping us all safe. You look rested and ready to continue the adventure!

4 hours ago, Icedonut said:

Asking for it in writing that 'international cruising' is covered, seems to be the key and once the underwriters pick it up, they are changing their minds.

I spoke to Staysure this morning and they were adamant that I was covered. The agent checked with the team leader and he/she agreed. I asked for it in writing but they said all of the necessary detail was on the 'Validation Certificate'. All countries, FCDO extension and cruise cover. I rang Viking and explained this and they said to forward the 'Validation Certificate' to them. (I had done this last week anyway). Waiting to hear back from them.

Hi! We are on July 31st Cruise on Viking Sea. We have contacted an insurance company called Big Cat Insurance and they have emailed us a letter which we have forwarded to Viking and are awaiting response . They will email you a copy of letter confirming cover  concerning travelling against FCDO recommendations.---- this is part of letter -------- I can confirm that Our policy will continue to provide cover if you decide to travel against the advice of the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).

• Like 1

Annnnddddd, the rollercoaster for US citizens plummets again.

Received today at 10:37 Central:

Message to U.S. Citizens:  U.S. Embassy in Malta (July 15, 2021)

Event: Announcement of new restrictions from the Maltese government in response to rising numbers of COVID cases

Travel Information:

Beginning July 14, Malta will require all travelers to present Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination for quarantine-free travel to Malta.  The Government of Malta currently only recognizes the Maltese vaccine certificate, UK-issued NHS COVID pass, EU COVID pass, Dubai Health Authority vaccine certificate, and the Turkish vaccine certificate – these must show the full course of vaccination with 14 days having elapsed since the last dose.  The Government of Malta does not currently recognize the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) vaccination card.  Those who are not in possession of Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required to submit themselves to a mandatory quarantine period of 14 days at a government mandated hotel at a cost of 100 euros per night. They must also present a negative pharyngeal Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) COVID-19 test performed no earlier than 72 hours prior to their arrival to Malta.  Airlines will deny boarding to those who do not fulfill the before-mentioned requirements. 

Commercial flights remain available for U.S. citizens in Malta who want to return to the United States.  On January 12, 2021, the CDC announced an order requiring all air passengers (including U.S. citizens) arriving to the United States from a foreign country to undergo COVID-19 testing no more than three days before their flight departs and to present the negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight.

The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Malta advising travelers to reconsider travel. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 (COVID-19 Low) Travel Recommendation for Malta. 

Actions to Take: 

·       Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. 

·       For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. 

·       Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information. 

·       Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.

·       Visit the U.S. Embassy Malta webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malta.

·       Visit the Maltese Ministry of Health Travel to Malta webpage for information on traveling to Malta. 

·       Visit the Maltese Ministry of Health Mandatory Standards and Guidance webpage for information on current restrictions. 

Assistance: 

·       U.S. Embassy Valletta, Malta 

Ta’Qali National Park 

Attard, ATD 4000 

Phone number (business hours) +356 2561 4000 

Phone number (after hours) +356 2561 4000

Email: ConsularMalta@state.gov

·       State Department - Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

·       Malta Country Information 

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates 

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

29 minutes ago, Harrietq said:

Beginning July 14, Malta will require all travelers to present Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination for quarantine-free travel to Malta.  The Government of Malta currently only recognizes the Maltese vaccine certificate, UK-issued NHS COVID pass, EU COVID pass, Dubai Health Authority vaccine certificate, and the Turkish vaccine certificate – these must show the full course of vaccination with 14 days having elapsed since the last dose.  The Government of Malta does not currently recognize the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) vaccination card.  

This is very sad news. Viking's ships will be empty at this rate. The British can't travel because their insurance has been invalidated for international cruise travel, and now Americans can't travel because Malta won't accept their vaccination cards. 😞

34 minutes ago, Harrietq said:

Annnnddddd, the rollercoaster for US citizens plummets again.

Received today at 10:37 Central:

Message to U.S. Citizens:  U.S. Embassy in Malta (July 15, 2021)

Event: Announcement of new restrictions from the Maltese government in response to rising numbers of COVID cases

Travel Information:

Beginning July 14, Malta will require all travelers to present Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination for quarantine-free travel to Malta.  The Government of Malta currently only recognizes the Maltese vaccine certificate, UK-issued NHS COVID pass, EU COVID pass, Dubai Health Authority vaccine certificate, and the Turkish vaccine certificate – these must show the full course of vaccination with 14 days having elapsed since the last dose.  The Government of Malta does not currently recognize the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) vaccination card.  Those who are not in possession of Maltese recognized proof of COVID-19 vaccination will be required to submit themselves to a mandatory quarantine period of 14 days at a government mandated hotel at a cost of 100 euros per night. They must also present a negative pharyngeal Polymerase Chain Reaction (PCR) COVID-19 test performed no earlier than 72 hours prior to their arrival to Malta.  Airlines will deny boarding to those who do not fulfill the before-mentioned requirements. 

Commercial flights remain available for U.S. citizens in Malta who want to return to the United States.  On January 12, 2021, the CDC announced an order requiring all air passengers (including U.S. citizens) arriving to the United States from a foreign country to undergo COVID-19 testing no more than three days before their flight departs and to present the negative result or documentation of having recovered from COVID-19 to the airline before boarding the flight.

The Department of State has issued a Level 3 Travel Advisory for Malta advising travelers to reconsider travel. 

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) has issued a Level 1 (COVID-19 Low) Travel Recommendation for Malta. 

Actions to Take: 

·       Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information. 

·       For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations. 

·       Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information. 

·       Check with your airlines, cruise lines, or travel operators regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.

·       Visit the U.S. Embassy Malta webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Malta.

·       Visit the Maltese Ministry of Health Travel to Malta webpage for information on traveling to Malta. 

·       Visit the Maltese Ministry of Health Mandatory Standards and Guidance webpage for information on current restrictions. 

Assistance: 

·       U.S. Embassy Valletta, Malta 

Ta’Qali National Park 

Attard, ATD 4000 

Phone number (business hours) +356 2561 4000 

Phone number (after hours) +356 2561 4000

Email: ConsularMalta@state.gov

·       State Department - Consular Affairs: 888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444

·       Malta Country Information 

Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates 

Follow us on Facebook and Twitter

Respectfully, I don’t think the U.S. embassy is up to speed on the new legislation from Malta. It takes all bureaucracies a while to respond to events, and it sure seems the U.S. Embassy in Malta is responding to the July 9 bungled announcement by the Maltese, which they reversed on July 13. The Maltese ministry of health and the Malta Airport had not yet updated their webpages in response to the July 13 regs. I’ll check today to see. Please read the following for what is coming down the pipeline from Malta.

https://legislation.mt/eli/ln/2021/301/eng

6 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

This is very sad news. Viking's ships will be empty at this rate. The British can't travel because their insurance has been invalidated for international cruise travel, and now Americans can't travel because Malta won't accept their vaccination cards. 😞

This legislation allows US proof of vaccination. This was done July 13. Protocols for entry not yet registered in Malta’s system.

I just had a brief online chat with Viking and asked "What's going on with Malta and CDC cards?"  Response (literally): your cruise should sail as scheduled, and if anything changes we'll let you know.

Not exactly reassuring, but it's all we got.

I saw the revised legislation the other day when it was first released. The thing that makes me weary is that is does NOT state that they will accept the CDC Card for American travelers. It also doesn’t specifically mention acceptance of only the Maltese, UK, EU, Dubai and Turkey certificates. I am no expert in legal jargon so I find the legislation quite confusing. The website for Malta Airport states that only the previously mentioned certificates are recognised at this tim. I trust they are up to date as they are main  gateway into the country and they get their info from the ministry of health and government.

17 minutes ago, jsam949 said:

I saw the revised legislation the other day when it was first released. The thing that makes me weary is that is does NOT state that they will accept the CDC Card for American travelers. It also doesn’t specifically mention acceptance of only the Maltese, UK, EU, Dubai and Turkey certificates. I am no expert in legal jargon so I find the legislation quite confusing. The website for Malta Airport states that only the previously mentioned certificates are recognised at this tim. I trust they are up to date as they are main  gateway into the country and they get their info from the ministry of health and government.

Malta hasn’t updated their entry requirements from the new legislation July 13 nor has the US Embassy caught up to that. The websites are still reacting to the July 9 announcement by Malta. The new legislation clearly says vaccine certification will be accepted from the US.

“B2249B 2249Provided further that persons may travel fromMalta to the countries listed in this proviso and from thecountries listed in this proviso to Malta as long as, upontheir arrival in Malta, they are in possession of avaccination certificate:”

Long list of countries, including the US.

https://www.euronews.com/2021/07/13/malta-abandons-plan-to-bar-unvaccinated-travellers-from-entry

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, philw1776 said:

We are in an unprecedented state of quantum uncertainty.

I hope the wavefront collapses into a stable state of reality that is favorable before our cruise.

image.thumb.png.48e2427aa817738e0fbd09cfef058e8b.png

I'm sure you'll be able to enjoy a time-independant wave function.

FYI.. Below is latest update from the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, dated 07/15/2021.. I listed the link at the bottom, along with links to some other helpful resources

Update on travel to and from Malta – 15.07.2021

NOTICE: AS FROM 14th JULY 2021 AT 00:01hrs, ALL COUNTRIES/ZONES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS AMBER WILL BE CLASSIFIED AS RED, THUS ONLY PERSONS IN POSSESSION OF A VALID RECOGNISED VACCINE CERTIFICATE WILL BE PERMITTED TO TRAVEL TO MALTA.

All passengers arriving from abroad will be required to submit a completed Passenger Locator Form (https://www.maltairport.com/declarationforms/) and present valid vaccination certificate recognised by the Superintendent of Public Health (age 12+), which at present are the following:

• “MT Vaccine certificate” full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose.
  • “NHS COVID Pass “ NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination record – full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose.
  • “EU Digital COVID Certificate (Vaccination Certificate) “ full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose.
  • “Dubai Health Authority Vaccine Certificate “- TWO doses received” with 14 days from last dose. 
  • “Turkish vaccine certificate” - TWO doses received with 14 days from last dose. 

Thus, only holders of one of these certificates are allowed to travel to Malta until further notice

I have been keeping tabs on the entry requirements for Malta since last week. Checking for updates (and praying for good news) daily. From what I can see, the USA’s vaccine certificate is currently not accepted to gain quarantine-free entry into the country. 

Resources:

https://foreignandeu.gov.mt/en/Government/Pages/COVID-19-Info.aspx

https://www.maltairport.com/covid19/arrival/

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

https://www.visitmalta.com/en/covid-19

..and a few interesting articles from Times of Malta:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofmalta.com/articles/view/maltas-latest-travel-rules-explained.886552.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofmalta.com/articles/view/unvaccinated-travellers-denied-boarding-despite-legal-notice.886705.amp

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/unvaccinated-maltese-arrivals-must-get-permission-to-avoid-hotel.886792

53 minutes ago, jsam949 said:

FYI.. Below is latest update from the Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs, dated 07/15/2021.. I listed the link at the bottom, along with links to some other helpful resources

Update on travel to and from Malta – 15.07.2021

NOTICE: AS FROM 14th JULY 2021 AT 00:01hrs, ALL COUNTRIES/ZONES PREVIOUSLY LISTED AS AMBER WILL BE CLASSIFIED AS RED, THUS ONLY PERSONS IN POSSESSION OF A VALID RECOGNISED VACCINE CERTIFICATE WILL BE PERMITTED TO TRAVEL TO MALTA.

All passengers arriving from abroad will be required to submit a completed Passenger Locator Form (https://www.maltairport.com/declarationforms/) and present valid vaccination certificate recognised by the Superintendent of Public Health (age 12+), which at present are the following:

• “MT Vaccine certificate” full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose.
  • “NHS COVID Pass “ NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination record – full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose.
  • “EU Digital COVID Certificate (Vaccination Certificate) “ full course of vaccination with 14 day after last dose.
  • “Dubai Health Authority Vaccine Certificate “- TWO doses received” with 14 days from last dose. 
  • “Turkish vaccine certificate” - TWO doses received with 14 days from last dose. 

Thus, only holders of one of these certificates are allowed to travel to Malta until further notice

I have been keeping tabs on the entry requirements for Malta since last week. Checking for updates (and praying for good news) daily. From what I can see, the USA’s vaccine certificate is currently not accepted to gain quarantine-free entry into the country. 

Resources:

https://www.maltairport.com/covid19/arrival/

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

https://www.visitmalta.com/en/covid-19

..and a few interesting articles from Times of Malta:

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofmalta.com/articles/view/maltas-latest-travel-rules-explained.886552.amp

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofmalta.com/articles/view/unvaccinated-travellers-denied-boarding-despite-legal-notice.886705.amp

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/unvaccinated-maltese-arrivals-must-get-permission-to-avoid-hotel.886792

Please don’t forget to also read the legislation that was published July 13 which has yet to be reflected at the Health Ministry’s website:

“B2249B 2249Provided further that persons may travel fromMalta to the countries listed in this proviso and from thecountries listed in this proviso to Malta as long as, upontheir arrival in Malta, they are in possession of a vaccination certificate:”

The US is listed—all 50 states—along with a bunch of other countries. Inexplicable why it is not yet listed in the actual regulations. 

You’ll note that right before this legislation was published, US cruise pax coming in for the July 14  cruise were required to show proof of vaccination—their CDC card.

This is the direct link to the statement I  posted above: 

Based on the info that I have seen, it appears that travel to and from the select states in the USA is permitted however a “recognised”vaccine certificate must be presented. Unvaccinated travelers and those without a “recognised” vaccination certificate must quarantine for 14 days.

Linda shared and mentioned the revised legal notice from July 13th. I don't think that it is saying that USA vaccination cards are acceptable for entry to Malta.. The following wording is confusing:

“Provided further that persons may travel from Malta to the countries listed in this proviso and from the countries listed in this proviso to Malta as long as, upon their arrival in Malta, they are in possession of a vaccination certificate”

I think this legislation is referring specifically to travelers who were vaccinated in Malta or any other European Union Country, the United Kingdom, Turkey, or Dubai. Any person with proof of a covid vaccination that was administered in one of these countries can enter Malta when traveling FROM the USA (selected states) or any of the other red list countries.

For example.. A hypothetical situation that this could apply to would be if a Maltese citizen was just visiting Los Angeles and is now returning to Malta.. Or perhaps a Turkish citizen who has been in New York and now wants to go vacation in Malta, they can fly from USA to Malta and forego a quarantine as long as they present their valid vaccination card. This leaves Americans in the dark since our cards are not being accepted. An exception might be an American citizen who for whatever reason got vaccinated in one of the above-mentioned countries (doubt there are few if any meeting this criteria).

1 minute ago, LindaS272 said:

Please don’t forget to also read the legislation that was published July 13 which has yet to be reflected at the Health Ministry’s website:

“B2249B 2249Provided further that persons may travel fromMalta to the countries listed in this proviso and from thecountries listed in this proviso to Malta as long as, upontheir arrival in Malta, they are in possession of a vaccination certificate:”

The US is listed—all 50 states—along with a bunch of other countries. Inexplicable why it is not yet listed in the actual regulations. 

You’ll note that right before this legislation was published, US cruise pax coming in for the July 14  cruise were required to show proof of vaccination—their CDC card.

The guests for July 14 were given an exception. They got a letter of authorization from a Health ministry official allowing them entry with the CDC card. 

My hope is that Viking is working to get an exception for the rest of us with upcoming cruises to enter malta without having to quarantine. Or that Malta decides to recognize Vaccination certificates from the USA.

• Like 1