Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

On the 8/23 Venus cruise.  This has been a stressful trip planning journey.  My United flight out of ATL was cancelled earlier this afternoon.  All while still waiting on my PCR test results.  I called Viking and after quite some time I received a call back.  They rebooked me on an early flight on Delta to EWR.  8 hour layover. Finally got negative test results!   Seems the weather could cause that flight issues.  I hope we all get on the Lufthansa flight on time without weather complications.  I now should try to sleep, got 1 1/2 hours left before I need to get up. Safe Flying everyone.

On 8/20/2021 at 4:44 PM, FirstTimeFreddy said:

Business Class is an absolute rip off with most European airlines. They've ripped out the traditional 2 seater rows and replaced them with 3 economy seats instead. Then they have the audacity to leave the middle seat free and call it Business Class. 😠 Fortunately we had three seats to ourselves in economy on our BA flight in July, but this time around I'm guessing our 10.50am flight with Air Malta will be rammed.  Thank goodness it's only a short flght. 🙏

I'm gutted as we were originally on the 10.50 flight but requested successfully to get on the 6.15 BA flight.

BA cancelling that flight to fill their 14.15 flight to maximise profits with a sold out flight less than satisfactory. It always seems to be BA doing this from my experience. The did this to me 2 years ago to Sicily and ended up on Easyjet and demanding a refund. (You pick flights based on times and price not "maybe we might fly at this time, we'll let you know."

My return is BA and vowed to use superior airlines like EasyJet for Europe in future. I wished that wS sarcasm, but it really isn't.

2 hours ago, Kjalzate said:

I emailed Viking customer service to tell them of my worry about EWR airport potentially being  affected by the hurricane Henri on Sunday. Also sent them a screenshot of the email United sent me stating ‘’Tropical Storm Henri across the New York metropolitan area may cause disruptions to your flight, including possible delays or cancellations.’’
Viking Travel Emergency was quick to rebook me on a flight through FRA. Whew! I was already stressed from waiting for my covid test results (now received) so I didn’t need the added stress of showing up at the airport fearing a last minute cancellation tomorrow. 😅 

I’m wondering if we need to do this for return home.  We are on the Aug23 charter from Malta to Newark.  If the inbound flight is affected, we would be also.

On 8/21/2021 at 12:24 AM, FLORIDA FLOUNDER said:

On the Viking Sea. Arrived yesterday at 11:30am on the Lufthansa charter flight from Newark. Viking had a rep in NY to help with any concerns. The only items needed at the Malta airport were passport, vaccination card and that Malta digital health form. They never asked to see our negative covid tests in Malta but they did in Orlando (where we originally flew from).The whole process was easy peasy as long as you have everything together. It’s a short bus ride to the ship and the check in process was well organized and very fast. 
Hope this helps!😃
I’m attaching today’s Viking Daily.

7D712CFF-1CAD-423B-BFCD-270B557394AF.jpeg

6AA43D6A-4544-4157-9F98-EAE64E1CB8E0.jpeg

B75B8F92-2854-415A-B3DE-750EADF87141.jpeg

Thank you for all of your helpful information. 

I have been trying for ages to get the online digital form, and always come back to the same information page with no links.  A week ago I found (possibly on the Air Malta site) the blank form, but was unable to complete it digitally.  So I printed off two copies and have completed them in ink.

Verifly seems happy that I have completed the Viking pass, but as everyone says the Air Malta part won't be completed in the absence of the QR code.

Several answers imply that an online form isn't needed at Valletta, so I am thinking I will leave it at that.  Unless someone can provide the necessary link for online completion.

All flights from SC to DC to Newark are a go this afternoon, including the Newark to Malta. Let's hope Henri doesn't change its mind. Cruising through a Pandemic and a possible east coast hurricane is not fun. 

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, CLBSC said:

All flights from SC to DC to Newark are a go this afternoon, including the Newark to Malta. Let's hope Henri doesn't change its mind. Cruising through a Pandemic and a possible east coast hurricane is not fun. 

Hang in there!! We relate to the stress!  However hopefully we won't have a hurricane to contend with this time next week. You never know though! All these roll calls are sooo helpful with information & experience. 

1 hour ago, MikeD1000 said:

I have been trying for ages to get the online digital form, and always come back to the same information page with no links.  A week ago I found (possibly on the Air Malta site) the blank form, but was unable to complete it digitally.  So I printed off two copies and have completed them in ink.

Verifly seems happy that I have completed the Viking pass, but as everyone says the Air Malta part won't be completed in the absence of the QR code.

Several answers imply that an online form isn't needed at Valletta, so I am thinking I will leave it at that.  Unless someone can provide the necessary link for online completion.

This is the ink to the dPLF you need. You will have to have a printed out copy (with QR code) when you arrive in Malta. 

https://www.maltairport.com/declarationforms/

Henri has not impacted NY/NJ very much at all, as the storm seems to have moved further northeast.  So Newark airport should not be effected.  We just returned from two back-go-back on Viking Sea (Montenegro/Croatia, and Greece)... and it was fantastic.  Viking is really taking the covid issues seriously, yet nothing they are doing onboard (daily temperature checks, masks when walking around the ship, morning saliva PCR tests, etc.) is intrusive.  There was some angst on our part as well with the pre-flight PCR tests for Malta... but it wasn't an issue after all.  Just go.  The food and service onboard was excellent; great lecturers and entertainment, etc.  Relax.  Go.  You will have a fabulous time.  We wish we were back there...

• Like 6

1 hour ago, Island Venturer said:

Henri has not impacted NY/NJ very much at all, as the storm seems to have moved further northeast.  So Newark airport should not be effected.  We just returned from two back-go-back on Viking Sea (Montenegro/Croatia, and Greece)... and it was fantastic.  Viking is really taking the covid issues seriously, yet nothing they are doing onboard (daily temperature checks, masks when walking around the ship, morning saliva PCR tests, etc.) is intrusive.  There was some angst on our part as well with the pre-flight PCR tests for Malta... but it wasn't an issue after all.  Just go.  The food and service onboard was excellent; great lecturers and entertainment, etc.  Relax.  Go.  You will have a fabulous time.  We wish we were back there...

SUPER, ENCOURAGING words!!   WE are on the same itinerary 8/30.  Cannot wait to just relax! Seems some airlines are asking for the PCR test results upon check in for flights in USA...although no reason for them to do so?  That sort of puts more pressure on getting those back in a timely manor even more stressful as you wait & pack.

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 12:19 AM, Kjalzate said:

This morning I received an email providing a Viking emergency travel hotline number.  

This is interesting....

On our trip to Malta (Jul 24) we missed our connection in Frankfurt, and would have liked to have notified the ship that we were going to be 7 hours late (11:30 PM), and don't close the gangway until we get there.  But the only number we had for Viking gave us a recording saying to "call back during business hours."  

Well, it all worked out.  But when we got home I sent an email to tellus, including lots of praise and compliments.  But also a few notes, including: Shouldn't you have an emergency travel hotline number?

If that resulted in a change at Viking, then kudos to them.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jchivers said:

This is interesting....

On our trip to Malta (Jul 24) we missed our connection in Frankfurt, and would have liked to have notified the ship that we were going to be 7 hours late (11:30 PM), and don't close the gangway until we get there.  But the only number we had for Viking gave us a recording saying to "call back during business hours."  

Well, it all worked out.  But when we got home I sent an email to tellus, including lots of praise and compliments.  But also a few notes, including: Shouldn't you have an emergency travel hotline number?

If that resulted in a change at Viking, then kudos to them.

FWIW, we had an emergency Viking number for our July 10th cruise.  It was sent I believe with our final emailed documents.  There was also a phone number for the ship that I had in my trip info.  I think they had provided that also for us to share with family in case of an emergency. 

Awake early last week on the Viking Sea in the Adriatic.  200 of us on a ship designed for 930 passengers.  Spit into the mandatory morning COVID-19 PCR test container, answer the daily 4 question symptoms quiz on the onboard app, put my contact tracing medallion in my pocket, and head for the 24 hour coffee station.  After a forehead temperature check, make the perfect coffee americano, two double-shots of expresso in a tall mug filled then with hot water.  Make my way to the forward observation lounge exchanging pleasantries with several staff members (2+ staff for each of us).  Witness the dawn with three other early birds.

Worth the hassle of getting here?  Definitely!

5c4681f7ba524044a68bfa05596affcb

Oh yeah, yesterday a guy from United was at the front door with my misplaced bag. 

Regards, Troy

• Like 7

52 minutes ago, PBtroy said:

Awake early last week on the Viking Sea in the Adriatic.  200 of us on a ship designed for 930 passengers.  Spit into the mandatory morning COVID-19 PCR test container, answer the daily 4 question symptoms quiz on the onboard app, put my contact tracing medallion in my pocket, and head for the 24 hour coffee station.  After a forehead temperature check, make the perfect coffee americano, two double-shots of expresso in a tall mug filled then with hot water.  Make my way to the forward observation lounge exchanging pleasantries with several staff members (2+ staff for each of us).  Witness the dawn with three other early birds.

Worth the hassle of getting here?  Definitely!

5c4681f7ba524044a68bfa05596affcb

Oh yeah, yesterday a guy from United was at the front door with my misplaced bag. 

Regards, Troy

We are on the Venus and I agree completely! Just finished the Greek Isles and so very happy to stay on for the Adriatic.  I use the Atriam bar for my morning coffee.  Service is amazing!  The 16 of us who are staying aboard, as well as 3 lecturers were treated to a wonderful excursion today.  Went to the megalithic temples of Malta and Marsaxlokk fishing village.  In between had a most delicious lunch at a local restaurant (we were the only guests, since they are not usually open for lunch).  Viking does everything perfectly!  Looking forward to having more guests for the next part of the cruise.  The hassles to get here are so worth it!

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, ammthm said:

We are on the Venus and I agree completely! Just finished the Greek Isles and so very happy to stay on for the Adriatic.  I use the Atriam bar for my morning coffee.  Service is amazing!  The 16 of us who are staying aboard, as well as 3 lecturers were treated to a wonderful excursion today.  Went to the megalithic temples of Malta and Marsaxlokk fishing village.  In between had a most delicious lunch at a local restaurant (we were the only guests, since they are not usually open for lunch).  Viking does everything perfectly!  Looking forward to having more guests for the next part of the cruise.  The hassles to get here are so worth it!

I and my group of three will be on the Venus on Oct 12. So looking forward to I!!!!!!  How  wonderful of Viking to arrange a lunch for all of you.

. BTW, who are the lecturers and the resident historian? Will they still be there on our October 12 sailing? 

Edited by Azulann

Anybody have intel/feedback on a Split excursion called "Scenic Cruise through Croatia's Archipelago" ??  heard from another guest that its upwards of a mile walking, not well handled, and includes beach time ???

BTW on the flights to Malta, document checking wa sporadic EXCEPT very thorough at the Malta health check station -- they were happiest with everything on paper being handed to them.

On board, th contact tracer is a lightweight, innocuous device you can wear around your neck or in your pocket.  

Edited by tony the magnificent

2 hours ago, tony the magnificent said:

Anybody have intel/feedback on a Split excursion called "Scenic Cruise through Croatia's Archipelago" ??  heard from another guest that its upwards of a mile walking, not well handled, and includes beach time ???

BTW on the flights to Malta, document checking wa sporadic EXCEPT very thorough at the Malta health check station -- they were happiest with everything on paper being handed to them.

On board, th contact tracer is a lightweight, innocuous device you can wear around your neck or in your pocket.  

Good to know! We aren't on that Split excursion but definitely my husband (who walks aided by a cane) could not do it. Even the included walks of the towns may be too much in the heat! Definitely bring a hat!!

On 8/21/2021 at 4:44 PM, travelguy19 said:

We are doing the exact same thing - both Walgreens and CVS on Friday. If it makes you feel any better, it seems like most everyone is getting their results back in 24-36 hours.

Decided to do Walgreen on Thursday and CVS on Friday...to cover the confusing MVJ discrepancy departing flight & arrival in Malta...as we are via Vienna, Austria & think we will be checked here at IAD. That is what another cruiser said she did & got both back...& she was checked in Orlando by United. Just trying to cover our basis with a test!  Certainly not required by anywhere we will be! We called Viking yesterday & they said they are trying to rectify it on MVJ & info.

41 minutes ago, gma1 said:

Good to know! We aren't on that Split excursion but definitely my husband (who walks aided by a cane) could not do it. Even the included walks of the towns may be too much in the heat! Definitely bring a hat!!

We did four of the included walking tours and these are the distances recorded on our hiking Garmin:

Kotor walking tour  1.1 miles
Split walking tour (includes our short add-on) 2.2 miles
Zadar city walk 2.1 miles
Sibenik promenade ~1.9 miles
  • Thanks 3

2 hours ago, cboyle said:

We did four of the included walking tours and these are the distances recorded on our hiking Garmin:

Kotor walking tour  1.1 miles
Split walking tour (includes our short add-on) 2.2 miles
Zadar city walk 2.1 miles
Sibenik promenade ~1.9 miles

This is good info.  I am a bit concerned about these walks as have issues with walking and standing these days.  Hoping there will be enough places to park my bum for a few minutes and I will be good for another walk!

Edited by catswin

29 minutes ago, catswin said:

This is good info.  I am a bit concerned about these walks as have issues with walking and standing these days.  Hoping there will be enough places to park my bum for a few minutes and I will be good for another walk!

EXACTLY my husbands words! I would think there are walls & such & hopefully considerate guides. Super helpful  information  cboyle....thanks so much.

Newbie question here:

We have some Euros from previous trips (not with Viking) that we wish to use for tips on the excursions. However, most of it is in larger bills than what we will need. What are your suggestions on how to break them while we're in the Viking bubble on Malta and Greece? It's not like we can go make a small purchase before we get on board!

I would love to hear how others have solved this problem. Thanks!

34 minutes ago, crochetgirl said:

Newbie question here:

We have some Euros from previous trips (not with Viking) that we wish to use for tips on the excursions. However, most of it is in larger bills than what we will need. What are your suggestions on how to break them while we're in the Viking bubble on Malta and Greece? It's not like we can go make a small purchase before we get on board!

This will be my first Viking Ocean, but when we did Viking River a couple of years ago, Viking did break down Euros if you asked. I’m hoping Viking Ocean does the same, because it is a problem.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, crochetgirl said:

Newbie question here:

I have about 45 euros in cash .  You can always exchange into smaller bills at the airport you are using at  the Currency exchange.

• Like 1