Welcome Back Cruises 2021 - Malta & Adriatic Cruises and General Discussion

JM0115

12 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

You beat me to it! 🙂 I was just about to post it. US citizens with vaccination cards now accepted. No mention of PCR testing. Same rules, apparently, as those with Maltese, UK or EU vaccination certs. Success! Let’s see if this holds…!

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/malta-expected-to-ease-ban-on-unvaccinated-travellers-impose.886429

A nice person on Facebook alerted me to it! Still not exactly sure what it means-hopefully no PCR test? But do you need one for passenger locator form? Or airline?

somebody must have straightened the Malta government out!!! 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, grznuts said:

A nice person on Facebook alerted me to it! Still not exactly sure what it means-hopefully no PCR test? But do you need one for passenger locator form? Or airline?

somebody must have straightened the Malta government out!!! 

The EU told Malta they must obey their rules after France complained Malta were discriminating against people who had not been vaccinated .... But still a bit rich considering France has made its own rules up throughout the pandemic in respect of the UK.

All quite worrying this change has been made and comes into force 12 hours or so after made. We won't get much chance to get a PCR if they decide they do want one and advise on their website the day before. I doubt people check on Malta's website daily.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, CharTrav said:

Given the specific reference to the US CDC card, I think the exception was specifically for passengers from the US. The rule for folks from the UK hasn't changed. You still only need your NHS card. The UK was not on the Amber list; the change going into effect on 14July only affects them. 

Relevant excerpts from the govt site cited below:

"Travel from the United Kingdom (UK)

As from 30th June 2021, all arrivals from the UK need to present proof of full vaccination with14 days after the second dose.                                                                                                                                                                  

As from the 1st July 2021 the Superintendent of Public Health is recognising and accepting the following vaccination certificate : -“NHS COVID Pass “– NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination record – full course of vaccination with 14 days after last dose"

"If you have a recognised certificate of vaccination you are exempt from pre-travel testing and self-isolation"

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

Just so folks are aware: While the letter for the July 14 cruise did refer specifically to the CDC card, the new rules that Malta adopted today -- after the letter was sent -- do not refer to that card. Instead, the rules permit visitors from the U.S., Canada, and other countries formerly on Malta's amber list to enter that country if they possess a "vaccination certificate." That term isn't qualified or limited, so it appears to include the CDC card and other forms of vaccination certificates.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, les37b said:

The "NHS card" is not valid (a certificate or digital passport is required) and I wasn't replying to a post that mentioned a US CDC card. It was a generic question in respect of PCR testing and had rules changed. (Which I now see you've edited your post to include that info .... Thank you.)

One further issue no one AFAICS has picked up on yet.

Malta is making all amber countries red as of 14th July. Does that mean if Croatia and Montenegro are Amber now, they become red and passengers face a 14 day quarantine in Malta when they get back?

Yeah - I realized I should have been more precise and kept editing it until I took care of that. Unfortunate artifact of responding from my mobile phone where flipping back and forth between apps is frankly a bit tedious. 

Good question about Croatia and Montenegro. 

55 minutes ago, LindaS272 said:

You beat me to it! 🙂 I was just about to post it. US citizens with vaccination cards now accepted. No mention of PCR testing. Same rules, apparently, as those with Maltese, UK or EU vaccination certs. Success! Let’s see if this holds…!

https://timesofmalta.com/articles/view/malta-expected-to-ease-ban-on-unvaccinated-travellers-impose.886429

English version

https://legislation.mt/eli/ln/2021/301/eng

I studied the list of US states and it looks like all the states that were on the red list before - no PCR test option - are no longer.  All they need is a vax card - no mention of what is a valid accepted card. 👍🏼

Edited by CharTrav

8 hours ago, Jammy Bun said:

I don't know, but if your ship is the Star, then I'm rather hoping that they will be basing her in the UK for a bit longer, and doing cruises to Scandinavia or the Canaries up until Christmas!  (Sorry, I feel your disappointment and DO sympathise.)  I love the idea of getting back onto a Viking cruise, but at the moment I'm not prepared to take flights anywhere.

Yes they are. Have just checked the Viking UK site. Star is doing an England's Scenic Shores and Scenic British Isles in August. It looks like she's not scheduled at all the rest of this month. Have to update my spreadsheet! Should have investigated this last Sunday when I noted that all of a Star's Malta & the Western Mediterranean sailings were cancelled. 

Thanks to the poster who first asked the question about Star and why she's headed towards Gibraltar. 

Edited by CharTrav

1 hour ago, DaveSJ711 said:

Instead, the rules permit visitors from the U.S., Canada, and other countries formerly on Malta's amber list to enter that country if they possess a "vaccination certificate." That term isn't qualified or limited, so it appears to include the CDC card and other forms of vaccination certificates.

It must; the CDC card is the closest thing to a "vaccination certificate" that we have here in the US.

• Like 1

I’ve been quietly following along on this discussion as well as dedicating countless hours almost daily checking for updates about Malta’s entry requirements. Finally created an account and decided to chime in! My mom and I are booked to go on the July 31 Malta & Greek Isles Discovery cruise.

On Maltese government/public health site it states the following:

2A COVID-19 vaccination certificate recognised by the Superintendent of Public Health:

- a valid Maltese vaccination certificate
    or

- “NHS COVID Pass “– NHS Coronavirus (COVID-19) vaccination record – full course of vaccination with 14 days after             last dose
    or
      - “EU Digital COVID Certifcate (Vaccination Certifcate)“- for all EU Member States and Switzerland from 9th July 2021 - full course of vaccination with 14 days after last dose

If not in possession of an approved COVID-19 vaccination certificate recognised by the Superintendent of Public Health, specific authorisation from the Maltese Public Health Authorities for every person travelling to Malta is required.
The following documents are NOT VALID for entry into Malta: 

• EU Digital COVID Recovery Certificate
• EU Digital COVID Vaccination Certificate showing one dose, irrelevant of whether after recovery or not.
• Negative Rapid Antigen Test or any other test, apart from PCR – either on EU Digital COVID Certificate or otherwise.
• Handwritten vaccination certificates or vaccination cards

https://deputyprimeminister.gov.mt/en/health-promotion/covid-19/Pages/travel.aspx

I’m hoping maybe it just hasn’t been updated since the most recent changes? I do find it interesting that on the revised legislation the verbiage is less specific. The fact that is says “Vaccination Certificate”  instead of “recognized vaccination certificate” or “approved vaccination certificate.” It looks a bit more promising. I am still nervous as heck but at least my anxiety has gone down just slightly. 

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:25 AM, CharTrav said:

question - noticed you are both wearing what looks like a monitoring device? and thanks for your video - very helpful and comforting to those who all be travelling to Malta in the coming weeks. 

No,  interesting that you'd think that - those little black boxes are our wireless mics so that you can hear us better.  No tracking in Malta.

For everyones reference below is the email from Viking explaining the new Malta entry proceedures:

Dear Viking Guest,

Thank you for choosing Viking for your upcoming voyage. Rest assured that we continue to work closely with the Maltese Health Authorities to ensure your travel to Malta will be as smooth and easy as possible. 

Viking guests will be allowed to visit Malta and proceed to the ship for your departure of Malta & Adriatic Jewels as planned.

At this time, the Maltese Health Authorities have received a list of guests confirmed to travel on board Viking Venus, embarking on July 14, and are preparing for your arrival.

To ensure you are identified as a Viking guest and are processed correctly, on arrival in Malta:

1. Gather your luggage and proceed to Customs. 
  2. Once you exit Customs, please proceed to the "Priority - Public Health Screening Area." 
  3. At the "Priority - Public Health Screening" desk, you will be asked to present: 
    1. Negative PCR Test Results 
    2. CDC COVID-19 Vaccination Record Card (Proof of FDA/WHO authorized COVID-19 vaccine) 
    3. Passenger Locator & Health Declaration Form 
    4. Valid Passport 
    5. Airline Boarding Pass (if it is not noted on your Passenger Locator Form) 
    6. Cruise Documents (Viking Journey Summary emailed to you by Viking)

@mediawise - great to know you got there ok and things looking brighter. I'm unsure what the US CDC status says for travel on cruises outside of US waters - but in the UK our website shows that we are fine to cruise in UK waters, can travel to green and now amber countries without quarantine and both are off the "don't recommend to travel" list. However, overseas cruises are still showing for us "not recommended" which ultimately means going against government advice and invalidates insurances policies here. 

I booked my sailing on the day that we were told we no longer needed to quarantine for 10 days on return from an amber country. I did speak about insurance with the sales people when I booked and said my insurance doesn't cover things against government advice and I definitely thought I was fine now amber could be visited and was no longer against advice. Given this is the cruise industry, I'm a bit peeved they are selling cruises in places to UK residents without coming clean on a restriction that most certainly isn't obvious.

Your cruise wasn't advertised in the UK - but know if I'd wanted to, I could have got a booking (they said that.) 

Hopefully you guys are OK with the dilemma above and doesn't affect you. Knowing how insurance works, unless the uk gov website gets updated (and there really is no reason it shouldn't particularly with the safety protocols in place), I'm now at T-10 days on a booking made at T-16 days and seemingly about to get shafted 'cos my insurances isn't valid and I can't get a refund despite a short discussion with Viking on the subject. If you get a chance to ask the questions with GS it would be really helpful. I suspect there will potentially be a lot of disappointed Brits in 10 days time unable to cruise and no refund.

1 minute ago, CLBSC said:

Does anyone know if Viking Cruise passengers will be able to explore Malta on our own?

Per email from Viking notifying me when my shore excursions would be available for booking:

In consideration of your health and safety, only Viking-offered shore excursions will be allowed during your voyage. We will offer a range of shore excursions, including sightseeing, special interest and active tours, and each one will be hosted by an experienced guide. To minimize potential risk, no independent exploration is permitted at this time.

This was back in June.. I was hoping the rules would be more relaxed by the time my trip begins but judging by the strict new requirements it’s highly doubtful we will be able to venture off on our own.

Hello Everyone,

I was contacted by a Viking rep yesterday about the Malta and Greek Isles Cruise, which I am seriously considering for Sept 22, 2021.  I was offered free coach air.  I told the agent I would like to upgrade to business and was told there was no upgrade.  I would just have to purchase each business class ticket through them for $4798.

I'm not sure why I can't apply the cost of the free coach ticket to the business class ticket, or if I even received correct information.

Any insight would be helpful as I only have a few more hours to make my decision.

Best Regards

11 minutes ago, jsam949 said:

Per email from Viking notifying me when my shore excursions would be available for booking:

In consideration of your health and safety, only Viking-offered shore excursions will be allowed during your voyage. We will offer a range of shore excursions, including sightseeing, special interest and active tours, and each one will be hosted by an experienced guide. To minimize potential risk, no independent exploration is permitted at this time.

This was back in June.. I was hoping the rules would be more relaxed by the time my trip begins but judging by the strict new requirements it’s highly doubtful we will be able to venture off on our own.

We are hoping that perhaps Croatia and Montenegro may be a different story.  We’ll see.   

Here’s the latest news regarding entry requirements for Malta.

According to Malta Airport, only the following vaccination certificates will be accepted for entry:

• Maltese Vaccination Certificate
  • EU Digital COVID Certificate (Switzerland has joined the EU Digital COVID Certificate framework, and therefore, the Swiss Certificate is also being accepted by the Maltese Authorities)
  • Dubai Health Authority Vaccination Certificate
  • Turkish Health Certificate
  • United Kingdom Vaccination Certificates: 
    • England: NHS Covid Pass (Digital App and NHS Letter)
    • Wales: NHS Covid Pass Letter
    • Scotland: NHS Letter demonstrating Covid-19 vaccination status
    • Northern Ireland: Interim proof of vaccination document which is valid until 11:59pm on 31st July 2021

https://www.maltairport.com/covid19/arrival/?w3tc_note=flush_all#VC

NO mention of the United State’s CDC Vaccination Card.

But according to Times of Malta, the government is in talks with other countries and additional certificates may be added. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/timesofmalta.com/articles/view/maltas-latest-travel-rules-explained.886552.amp

Praying they decide to recognise the CDC issued card. Or that Viking is able to obtain exceptions for entry for all guests who are booked for upcoming cruises.

5 minutes ago, Pwalczyk said:

We are hoping that perhaps Croatia and Montenegro may be a different story.  We’ll see.   

It won't be. All these cruises are currently bubble cruises. You can't DIY when docked. I'm aware that MSC and Celebrity at least, have kicked people off who booked a tour then did their own thing once off the ship.

I expect Viking will do the same.

Email just received from Viking.

All guests are required to have adequate travel insurance in place prior to departure, which includes COVID and repatriation cover. Please confirm with your insurance provider that your policy will cover you for cruising in international waters, as well as the individual countries you will visit on your itinerary. Once you have verified this information, please email your insurance details

This is because as discovered yesterday, the UK still advises against International cruises, so Viking know, its unlikely anyone will have the insurance cover they are requesting.

Nice to request that 10 days before departure and inside the 14 days you have to cancel.

Hopefully the UK government will update that page, else it looks like I've paid Viking a cruise fare they will keep and give me nothing in return. Odd they are aware of it now but wasn't when it was booked 6 days ago.

53 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

At this stage I'd be more than satisfied with a cruise through the Adriatic without port stops, if it came to that. Like most of us, I'm just desperate to escape and soak up Vikings relaxing luxury cruise offering 🤞

We feel the same way!! I have no problem with being in a bubble either!  We don't leave until August 30, so am certain there may be changes & know Viking will keep us informed.

58 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

At this stage I'd be more than satisfied with a cruise through the Adriatic without port stops, if it came to that. Like most of us, I'm just desperate to escape and soak up Vikings relaxing luxury cruise offering 🤞

I suggested the same thing when my Silversea Tower Bridge to Norway Fjords got cancelled last August. 

17 minutes ago, les37b said:

Email just received from Viking.

All guests are required to have adequate travel insurance in place prior to departure, which includes COVID and repatriation cover. Please confirm with your insurance provider that your policy will cover you for cruising in international waters, as well as the individual countries you will visit on your itinerary. Once you have verified this information, please email your insurance details

This is because as discovered yesterday, the UK still advises against International cruises, so Viking know, its unlikely anyone will have the insurance cover they are requesting.

Nice to request that 10 days before departure and inside the 14 days you have to cancel.

Hopefully the UK government will update that page, else it looks like I've paid Viking a cruise fare they will keep and give me nothing in return. Odd they are aware of it now but wasn't when it was booked 6 days ago.

So does this mean that because the UK government advises against international cruises, that Viking will not accept our insurance even if it includes cruise cover?

4 minutes ago, FirstTimeFreddy said:

So does this mean that because the UK government advises against international cruises, that Viking will not accept our insurance even if it includes cruise cover?

Its unlikely your insurance will cover travel that the government advises against.

This is the advisory.

There is no problem with cruising in UK waters... just not international. So effectively making your policy null and void.

If your policy states you are fine to travel in international waters and to ignore advisories, then you will be fine. I for one would love to know the details so I can buy it.

Edited by les37b

4 minutes ago, les37b said:

Its unlikely your insurance will cover travel that the government advises against.

This is the advisory.

There is no problem with cruising in UK waters... just not international. So effectively making your policy null and void.

But isn't the Venus departing from Valletta today with UK tourists on board? Surely they are all subject to the same insurance problem at this point, and yet they're all being allowed onto the ship. This is so confusing. 😩