St Barts and Jost Van Dyke

Peace2U

I would love to go to St Barts and Jost Van Dyke. Are they worth seeing?  We just like to look around the absorb the atmosphere. What are the best ports to get a ferry or excursion to these places?

Jost Van Dyke is most often visited from Tortola, which has its own page on this forum. Lots of ways to get there.  Both are in the British Virgin Islands.  Jost can be visited from St Thomas in the US Virgin Islands, but requires a longer port stay, and a private boat charter,  or a short flight. The beaches and beach bars are legendary. 

St Barts is visited by some cruise lines, I have been there from both Celebrity (I think) and Princess ships. Its a lovely island, but not particularly  cruise ship friendly.  The businesses prefer to trade with the higher end clientele who stay on the island, rather than day trippers. Euros and a knowledge of the French language will help here. The beaches are so-so (IMO)

There are occasional day trips to St. Barts from St Maarten offered by cruise lines. You take the ferry over, have a few hours there to wander around, and ferry back. 

St Barts and St Maarten both have their own page on this forum. 

Good luck 

• 2 weeks later...

Have been to both on Star Clipper's Star Flyer which goes out of St. Maarten.  This is a sailing ship less than 200 passengers and is different from major lines but a great way to get into small ports that major lines can't get into.  I believe Windstar also stops at these islands also.  Taking these different cruise lines have taken me to Bequia, Mayreau, Tobago Cays, Norman Island, Beef Island,Pigeon Island which are just a few of places I would never experience from a major cruise lines.  Of the two Jost was fabulous and St Barts did not suit me but I did get to experience the island.  Hope you get to both. 

• 4 weeks later...

Most daytrippers go tomJVD simply to lime on White Bay beach and enjoy the famous beach bars like Soggy Dollar, Ivan’s Stress Free Bar, Heidi’s and Seddy’s One Love…You can find detailed info on getting there on the Tortola forum…
Agree with elklemi an itinerary on a smaller ship is a great way to actually experience smaller or less accessible islands like Jost…saves long transport times and let’s you enjoy these islands longer…