Texting through wifi on carnival

Sorry if this seems redundant, but I've searched the boards and am finding conflicting answers.

My question is, if I purchase a wifi plan on a Carnival cruise then turn my cellular data off on my phone can I send/receive text messages through wifi?

Has anyone had success with this method of staying in touch with the outside world?

I have a Verizon plan and I can send/receive texts through my wifi at home. Just wondering if it works on the ships. I do not have an international roaming plan.

Thank you for any and all input!

Oletruckdude

I usually buy the social media plan, turn my cell phone data plan off and put it on airplane mode, and I've been able to iMessage people back and forth with no issues!

You can also Facebook messenger or other social media apps to communicate with people back home. 

7 hours ago, Oletruckdude said:

Sorry if this seems redundant, but I've searched the boards and am finding conflicting answers.

My question is, if I purchase a wifi plan on a Carnival cruise then turn my cellular data off on my phone can I send/receive text messages through wifi?

Has anyone had success with this method of staying in touch with the outside world?

I have a Verizon plan and I can send/receive texts through my wifi at home. Just wondering if it works on the ships. I do not have an international roaming plan.

Oletruckdude

I have found it much more convenient in the past to simply use emails instead of text. Naturally I alerted my planned recipients (house sitter, married daughter, etc) to check their email for posts from me. I don't generally need more than that unless a situation arises prior to the cruise that requires much more communication. But then I had no need to contact them on a routine basis. Depends on ones situation obviously.

If you see the need, you might contact Verizon and see if they have a "as needed" or short term international roaming plan. The former costs nothing unless used, and the latter is generally reasonably inexpensive for just a 4-15 day cruise.

Doug

You've seen conflicting answers because it's spotty. I've done it a few times with AT&T cellular over wifi. Sometimes it worked good, but other times I would go for several hours where it didn't work at all. If it's something that you must have, then you would need a backup plan. FB messenger is a little more reliable. BTW I always purchase the premium wifi plan, so that's not really a difference. 

The simple answer is no. Text messages are sent on cellular networks not wifi so if you shut off cellular network texting won't work.

The more involved answer is it depends.  Newer phones do have the ability to send text messages over wifi but it doesn't always work and you will need to change some of the settings on your phone.  The best way to do that is to go in to your providers store for Android or for Apple one of their stores.

• Like 2

texting over wifi works with iphones using imessage.  doesn't work with android.  fb messenger, snapchat & i believe whatsapp do work with the social media plan. international plans don't work at sea, i know you said you don't have one just letting you know so you don't add it to your service then realize it doesn't work

Thank you all for the replies. I have an elderly mom who only knows how to text and doesn't do social media. It took years just to convince her to let me buy her a smartphone. Texting is as far as we've gotten with it. 

Anyway, I will talk to my local Verizon folks to see what they suggest 

Thanks again!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Oletruckdude said:

Thank you all for the replies. I have an elderly mom who only knows how to text and doesn't do social media. It took years just to convince her to let me buy her a smartphone. Texting is as far as we've gotten with it. 

Anyway, I will talk to my local Verizon folks to see what they suggest 

Thanks again!

May be try Facebook messenger app, I find texting took awhile to receive, but messenger app is faster for us

I have Verizon and I always buy the value internet plan.  I have only had one problem with wifi texting.  It will only work on my Samsung Galaxy S5 that I purchased from Verizon and my S7 that I purchased directly from the manufacturer.  It won't work on my S8 that was also purchased from the manufacturer.  All three phones have all of the necessary settings enabled.  I have the Verizon Messages+ app on all three phones.  There is sometimes a delay of a few minutes, but it still works.  I don't consider that potential delay a problem because that and worse occasionally happens on land in the US.  I have done this on the Inspiration, Fantasy, Triumph, Legend, Dream, Sunshine, Glory, and Valor.

You have to enable HD Voice on your line.  That can be done through the My Verizon app.  Go to Accounts, then Add-Ons & Apps, and then HD Voice.  This will theoretically also enable wifi calling, assuming you purchased your phone through Verizon.  Wifi calling doesn't work when you purchase the phone directly from the manufacturer.  Verizon blocks that feature when you don't purchase the phone from them.

Edited by Tiger0613

6 hours ago, Tiger0613 said:

I have Verizon and I always buy the value internet plan.  I have only had one problem with wifi texting.  It will only work on my Samsung Galaxy S5 that I purchased from Verizon and my S7 that I purchased directly from the manufacturer.  It won't work on my S8 that was also purchased from the manufacturer.  All three phones have all of the necessary settings enabled.  I have the Verizon Messages+ app on all three phones.  There is sometimes a delay of a few minutes, but it still works.  I don't consider that potential delay a problem because that and worse occasionally happens on land in the US.  I have done this on the Inspiration, Fantasy, Triumph, Legend, Dream, Sunshine, Glory, and Valor.

You have to enable HD Voice on your line.  That can be done through the My Verizon app.  Go to Accounts, then Add-Ons & Apps, and then HD Voice.  This will theoretically also enable wifi calling, assuming you purchased your phone through Verizon.  Wifi calling doesn't work when you purchase the phone directly from the manufacturer.  Verizon blocks that feature when you don't purchase the phone from them.

This is great info! Thank you!

Our phones are Android pixel phones with message+ that we purchased directly from Verizon. 

I'll probably still talk to Verizon but your info is encouraging.

Thanks again!

Oletruckdude

You should also be able to send a text via email if needed.  To send a text to a verizon customer using your email you just send it to [10 digit phone#]@vtext.com.  It will show up as a text to the recepient and if they reply to it you will get an email back.  Pretty much all carriers have a email to text option, not just verizon.

Edited by Brentt_M

On 5/14/2021 at 9:52 PM, Oletruckdude said:

Oletruckdude

Carnival blocks the network ports that are needed for SMS. You are better off running whatsapp or messenger

Thanks so much for all of the replies. 

Now I understand why there's so much conflicting info out there. It's just not a cut and dried issue. 

I am considering everyone's input before I decide how to proceed. 

Kind regards,

Oletruckdude

Talked to Verizon. They have a cruise deal whereby you sign up for the duration of your cruise and then pay $1.79 per minute for calls and 50 cents per text message. Only charged for what you use.

Seems reasonable so I will likely go this route right before sailing.

Thanks all for your input!

Oletruckdude

• Like 1

We also use WhatsApp when we cruise.   (I've also got a coworker that travels all over the world and keeps in touch with us through WhatsApp as well).   We use it to keep in touch with each other on the ship and to keep in contact with any family /friends back home as well.

its an app so it runs on your data / wifi networks but it's almost exactly like the text messaging apps that are on most cell phones.  Very simple to use!

• Like 1