Jewell Class to Breakaway??

troyphoto

Hi Gang! Been a while... 🙃

We're in the process of trying to reschedule a cancelled cruise. Up til now, we've loved the Jewell class. Whenever I'm not on one of those, I get grumpy due to the lack of the quiet aft open air, no wind, shaded cafe. (AKA, the Great Outdoors bar and extension of the Garden Cafe). I want to be out, enjoying the open air, staring at the ocean going by, with bar staff, breakfast, and lunch (and cookies) a few steps away. Best part of the Jewell class right there, IMO.

Well, since we're looking at sailing Jan 2022, there's not much open for the Caribbean right now except for the MEGA ships that we don't have any interest in.

BUT... there's the breakaway out of NOLA.

When I look at the deck plans for Deck 15 on the Breakaway, looks like there is some space behind the pool area, in front of the Garden Cafe labeled "Open Air Garden Cafe". Just from the location, I wince. 

What are those areas like?

Any pics?

Also: Walking the promenade. Is there a similar walking area on the ship? The wife walks every morning and evening, even on port days. She needs to get a good 5 miles in that isn't on a treadmill. (Again, enjoying the outdoors)

Thanks! If anyone has links to a good post or gallery with lots of pics of the Breakaway, please feel free to add a link.

The area you're referring to is just a covered space with tables between the Garden Cafe and Aqua Park / Pool deck... You can bring your items from the cafe out there to eat. There are windows there, so it doesn't get windy in that area. If you go towards the other end of the Garden Cafe and go up one level, you'll be in Spice H2O, which is the adults only during the day area, with a bar and water feature... The Breakaway is a great ship, and I'll attach my review from when I sailed out of New Orleans, although it's not quite like some of the other reviews... 

• Like 3

The Waterfront is by far my favourite promenade deck. I have literally walked miles round the Waterfront on various ships. It generally doesn't get too busy.

The only issue with it is that it doesn't go right round the front. You have the choice when you reach the doors near the forward elevators to either turn back or cut through the ship top make a loop. In my opinion that is no worse than the usual covered forward areas that promenade decks have on the older ships.

On sea days, I often walk for up to 10 miles round the promenade deck or waterfront. Given the choice I would rather do that on the Waterfront over the older ships Promenade decks.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, KeithJenner said:

On sea days, I often walk for up to 10 miles round the promenade deck or waterfront. Given the choice I would rather do that on the Waterfront over the older ships Promenade decks.

Keith:

is the walking area wide enough for two people abreast each direction, or is it tighter? Thinking back to how wide the promenade was on the Jewell class ships when the chaise loungers were in place. Similar?

1 minute ago, troyphoto said:

Keith:

is the walking area wide enough for two people abreast each direction, or is it tighter? Thinking back to how wide the promenade was on the Jewell class ships when the chaise loungers were in place. Similar?

Plenty of room for two people all the way round. Most of it has a walking area very comparable to the Jewel promenade deck, with the loungers etc to the side.

A real appeal of it is that you don't have the pinch points that the promenade decks have towards the from and aft.

• Like 1

Looking in your signature, I see you have been on the Jewel, Pearl and Sun, and I had a look in NCL.com for January 2022 cruises ...

There is one on the GEM (sister to Jewel and Pearl) and one on the SKY (sister to Sun) ... both these have Great Outdoors aft and walk-around promenade.

Both Sid and Keith are correct about the Breakaway's Waterfront. It's great to walk around. Spice H2O is great too. But no Great Outdoors aft.

Enjoy!

21 minutes ago, bluesea777 said:

Looking in your signature, I see you have been on the Jewel, Pearl and Sun, and I had a look in NCL.com for January 2022 cruises ...

There is one on the GEM (sister to Jewel and Pearl) and one on the SKY (sister to Sun) ... both these have Great Outdoors aft and walk-around promenade.

Both Sid and Keith are correct about the Breakaway's Waterfront. It's great to walk around. Spice H2O is great too. But no Great Outdoors aft.

Enjoy!

Thanks.... but....  prefer not to do NYC... Been there for other vacations. Then I rubbed elbows with other tourists, not NYCers.

My TA said the last couple from Indiana he sent to NYC almost walked away from the cruise and stopped cruising at all. Something about Midwestern sensibilities vs NYC attitudes.

And, I don't want to lose a day of the cruise each to the chilly/choppy North Atlantic in January. 

Isn't the Sky Bermuda only? That wasn't on the list of ports the wife and her sister wanted to go on.

Sounds like I can make do with spice H20 if I avoid the smoking side.

Others have suggested balconies, but I find the railing cuts right across where my line of vision falls. So I don't get the horizon. Just a steel and wooden bar. And, I'm a writer, so cafe table with chair is best. Need to keep the word count up each day.

21 hours ago, troyphoto said:

Others have suggested balconies, but I find the railing cuts right across where my line of vision falls. So I don't get the horizon. Just a steel and wooden bar. And, I'm a writer, so cafe table with chair is best. Need to keep the word count up each day.

The Waterfront restaurants have table & chairs available before dinner service is set up (at least until 3pm in my experience). Usually very quiet as no food service is available in the area before dinner. The bar has more comfortable seating closer to the bar

• Like 2

Here are way too many pictures of the Getaway.  They are about 6 years old so some things have changed a bit.  However, they will give you a good idea of what those two ships are like.  We are Jewel class fans also.  The Getaway, we've sailed on her twice, very nice and beautiful ship.  However, for us just way too large and we just don't use all that she offers.  Also, balconies are really small, except for a few on deck 8.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vls9lJ7ii1nmkOxq2

• Like 1

6 hours ago, roger001 said:

Here are way too many pictures of the Getaway.  They are about 6 years old so some things have changed a bit.  However, they will give you a good idea of what those two ships are like.  We are Jewel class fans also.  The Getaway, we've sailed on her twice, very nice and beautiful ship.  However, for us just way too large and we just don't use all that she offers.  Also, balconies are really small, except for a few on deck 8.  

https://photos.app.goo.gl/vls9lJ7ii1nmkOxq2

Nice pics. Thanks!

Yep. Those are small balconies. We're switching to inside cabins to maximize the excursion potential. Esp since we're traveling with cruise newbies this go. Their budget is tight until they learn what is most important to them about cruising.

Walking; I walk minimum 3 miles a day onboard prior to 9 am , the Jewel Class Ships have the complete walk around deck, (think 6 or 7) but the Breakaway Ships also have a walking track on an upper deck, yes you are doing circles for an hour, but doable, then can do  the "promenade" deck during the rest of the day.  the walking track on the Getaways let you get in some good speed walking.  For those interested in a Haven experience, the we have done Breakaway, Getaway and Bliss, the best, Jewel class Haven is nothing in comparison, just added this for those who might want to know 

• Like 1