Ncl is now showing you can book Alaska 2021

andychris

On 5/17/2021 at 5:09 PM, BermudaBound2014 said:

By the end of October the sun doesn't even rise until close to 9:30 a.m. and the high temps were in the low 30's.

Your post got me thinking....

It would be nice if the sun didn't rise until 9:30.  I could sleep in until 9:00 and still enjoy a sunrise. 😀

I did find this nifty tool for anybody thinking about NCL Alaska this October.

Alaska Vacations & Travel Advice from Trusted Alaskans | ALASKA.ORG

It looks like I'll need to be getting up closer to 7:00 to enjoy those sunrises.

Edited by CaptainWoody

41 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Your post got me thinking....

It would be nice if the sun didn't rise until 9:30.  I could sleep in until 9:00 and still enjoy a sunrise. 😀

I did find this nifty tool for anybody thinking about NCL Alaska this October.

Alaska Vacations & Travel Advice from Trusted Alaskans | ALASKA.ORG

It looks like I'll need to be getting up closer to 7:00 to enjoy those sunrises.

You may like either one of these sites.... it shows you why there is so little daylight in the Winter and so much in the summer (in the NH). You have to play around a bit to get the hang of it. You can change to exact location and exact date to see how the sunrise/sunset changes over the year.  I think it's a cool visual to help understand how the sun moves through the sky.

https://www.suncalc.org/#/62.4148,-161.6836,3/2021.01.05/21:53/1/1

https://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/sunearth.html

Edited by BermudaBound2014
  • Like 1

Well the CEO's must know something! This morning I ran a test booking for Bliss to Alaska in Sept - it was about $2500 per person in a Haven Forward Facing Cabin - didn't pull the trigger and book it - I wanted to discuss with my wife first - Wife agreed great deal let's go - Went online to book it tonight and the price is now $4400 per person! NCL knows Alaska is open! I don't begrudge NCL for pricing that reflects the value they feel a Haven Cruise to Alaska is worth. However, I did not book this cruise - I won't pay that much for a Haven Cabin even though it's my favorite way to cruise.

15 minutes ago, Beamco said:

Well the CEO's must know something! This morning I ran a test booking for Bliss to Alaska in Sept - it was about $2500 per person in a Haven Forward Facing Cabin - didn't pull the trigger and book it - I wanted to discuss with my wife first - Wife agreed great deal let's go - Went online to book it tonight and the price is now $4400 per person! NCL knows Alaska is open! I don't begrudge NCL for pricing that reflects the value they feel a Haven Cruise to Alaska is worth. However, I did not book this cruise - I won't pay that much for a Haven Cabin even though it's my favorite way to cruise.

You snooze you lose. 

why didn’t you just book it on a three day hold?

Edited by CaptainWoody

Captain Woody - I agree I snoozed I lost - but I really didn't care that much - the price was enticing but a late season Alaska cruise didn't make me feel compelled to rush into it. But I will also say I didn't think it would jump up within 12 hours - maybe after some sort of announcement on the bill in Congress but not the same day! Truth is I am still hesitant to book travel. 

5 hours ago, CroozFanatic said:

Folks gonna cancel Punta Cana and Montego Bay and jump on Seattle/Alaska.

Those would be very experimental home ports vs. an established port and supply chain in Seattle. Not to mention hotels, restaurants, and taxi/uber in Seattle.

Nice NCL didn't jack up prices for the Bliss in Alaska.  Was just looking at 2021 vs. 2022. OMG!

The thought did cross my mind, though. Why deal with the inconvenient new port when I can sail from my home port? And then I realized hey, why not make up for lost time and do both... So I will. Got to use up that FCC, right?

17 hours ago, Beamco said:

But I will also say I didn't think it would jump up within 12 hours - maybe after some sort of announcement on the bill in Congress but not the same day! Truth is I am still hesitant to book travel. 

I'm guessing it's supply/demand.  If there are 6 available when you first check and only 2 available the next time you check, the price will likely be much higher.  This is how airlines, hotels, etc. operate.  I've diligently booked cruises through 2023, because I think a month or two from now there will be a surge in demand and prices will skyrocket.  We actually have nine booked in that period but will only sail on five (at most).  This is due to the churn with cancellations and new announced cruises.  Alaska has been the biggest variable for us.  Three bookings cancelled by NCL but now October again scheduled/booked.

19 hours ago, Beamco said:

I guess it's all a matter of perspective. To us, $4400/pp for I assume a 7 day cruise is actually a good deal in my eyes for Haven ($628/day). The original price you saw I would have booked first and asked questions later - that beats any price we've ever paid for Haven.

The $628 is not great, but not egregious for a newer ship like the Bliss with a full Haven experience. We're booked on the late August sailing on Bliss in an HC for ~$800/day, and I won't even tell you what we're paying for an H4 on Prima in 2023.

Sailing Away I don't do the math your way - $4400 per person is $8800 a week for a 7 day cruise about $1100 a night plus fees it's about $1250 per night- for me not worth it. However, that was not the point of my post. Earlier in this topic other posters mentioned the bill to open Alaska to cruising and someone made a comment about the Cruise CEO's having insight. I didn't get into details in my first post but I had been tracking cruises again for about a week. All of the September cruises on Bliss to Alaska were under $3000 per person for the entire month every time I checked in for about a week. That suddenly changed to pre covid type pricing. My post was to point out that this sudden jump makes me think the CEO's know this bill will pass and many people will book a cruise at pre-covid price points even though it is late season for Alaska and still early in  the process of resuming cruises out of US ports.

Edited by Beamco

19 minutes ago, Beamco said:

Sailing Away I don't do the math your way - $4400 per person is $8800 a week for a 7 day cruise about $1100 a night plus fees it's about $1250 per night- for me not worth it. However, that was not the point of my post. Earlier in this topic other posters mentioned the bill to open Alaska to cruising and someone made a comment about the Cruise CEO's having insight. I didn't get into details in my first post but I had been tracking cruises again for about a week. All of the September cruises on Bliss to Alaska were under $3000 per person for the entire month every time I checked in for about a week. That suddenly changed to pre covid type pricing. My post was to point out that this sudden jump makes me think the CEO's know this bill will pass and many people will book a cruise at pre-covid price points even though it is late season for Alaska and still early in  the process of resuming cruises out of US ports.

My math is fine, $1250/2 people = $625 which is about what I said. 

Regardless, since you're familiar with price stalking cruises (I have a spreadsheet myself to track both cruise and airline prices) you're familiar with the ebb and flow of price hikes. You lost out on a good deal, but that's better than booking high on a last minute sailing post final payment date and not being able to get a price adjustment at all.

After booking Prima my exact same cabin went up in price by over $1000 within 24 hours. After NCL cancelled my October Pearl sailing and sent the Jade to Greece instead, that same cabin went up over 40% in price. It sucks, but you either book anyway if you're set on that ship and itinerary - or move to another cruise line like we did for Greece.

My guess is that once any ship starts sailing and returns with no issues, prices in general will go back to 'normal'. 

1 hour ago, andychris said:

Hope we hear an official announcement very soon!,

There is a blurb on the website: 

2021 Alaska Cruises

On May 13, 2021, the U.S. Senate unanimously passed legislation that temporarily relieves large cruise ships sailing in Alaska of the Passenger Vessel Services Act (PVSA), which requires foreign-flagged ships to stop in at least one foreign port when sailing between two U.S. destinations. We remain optimistic that by working with the CDC and local port and government authorities in the destinations we visit that we will be able to resume safe cruising in the U.S. this summer. As such, we have opened for sale voyages on Norwegian Bliss to be scheduled for August until the end of the season.

43 minutes ago, roger001 said:

Wonder if Alaska can get their temporary workers up there in time for a short season?  Here in the lower 48, businesses are closing because of no workers willing to work right now.  

Seattle may have the same issue-- many more jobs in the Hospitality industry currently available than the number of people willing to work even at a good pay scale. 

51 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Seattle may have the same issue-- many more jobs in the Hospitality industry currently available than the number of people willing to work even at a good pay scale. 

Can't say that I blame them.  I could go work at Amazon standing and sorting all day for $15 and hour....or I could not go to work at all and get $15.32 an hour.  Let me think about that one..........

48 minutes ago, www3traveler said:

Considering what hospitality workers experienced over the last year - layoffs, inconsistent safety protocols, endless verbal abuse from anti-maskers… it’s no wonder a lot of former hospitality workers have moved on to other jobs! With things opening back up, it’s going to be a challenge to staff up to meet demand.

I’m assuming that Alaska will make a huge vaccination push in the SE tourism areas to keep workers and residents safer. And I hope that means we’d get to roam free at Alaska ports. I’m not interested in excursions but I do want to shop and visit Creek Street and otherwise go leash-free. 

2 hours ago, roger001 said:

Wonder if Alaska can get their temporary workers up there in time for a short season?  Here in the lower 48, businesses are closing because of no workers willing to work right now.  

Many of the businesses in ports are seasonal - so it's also a matter of getting businesses to even open up.  Since they didn't have any tourist season last year, I would guess that some have moved on and wouldn't even be interested in opening shop, especially if it's just for a couple of months.  My last Alaskan cruise (2 years ago) was in mid September and many of the shops were shutting down for the season - some were already closed.

On 5/17/2021 at 10:34 PM, CaptainWoody said:

I doesn't matter what "was."  NCL has opened reservations for the Bliss in September and October, so there is little reason to "suspect" what "could" happen.  The bill will pass quickly.  I'll guarantee it! 🤣

See!!  I told you this would pass quickly.  Unanimous approval in the House.  😎

• Like 2

Supplemental unemployment is set to expire September 6 and some states are ending it sooner.  Our Alaska Bliss is scheduled for October, so hopefully most places will be staffed by then.  I'll be happy as long as she sails and there is some semblance of "normal."  

Holland now selling Alaska too. Carnival Miracle has been up.

Royal Caribbean just blew up their Bermuda home port cruises for June, July, and August.

I would say better than 50% chance NCL does the same thing in Jamaica and Dominican Republic. You are splitting hairs if you going to tell me there is a huge difference between these "experiments". The numbers/math are probably within a few percentage points. Royal must not only be losing money, but a lot of money in order to do this (folks are pissed). NCL will follow. Easier now that Royal has done it.

Bliss gonna sell out.

Edited by CroozFanatic