How to do the Baths and Soggy Dollar?

laurajc

We are on the Celebrity Millenium and in Tortola on July 12.  Is there a tour company that can help us do the Bathes in the morning and have some time at Soggy Dollar in the afternoon?  If not, what is a good compromise?  Thanks so much!! 

Provided we get the OK to sail soon,  I'll be there on July 15th on the Equinox, and have contacted Gary at Kuralu Charters about a trip to JVD / S$B  

Here's the website, it doesn't look like he goes to the Baths, but he is very helpful and responsive, you can email and ask if he thinks both those destinations are doable in one day.

https://kuralu.com/

To do both you’d need a private charter (powerboat) like Ocean Magic. Jost and Virgin Gorda are on different sides of Tortola...

https://www.oceanmagicmitch.com/testimonials

Independent cat sails like Aristocat, Kuralu, and Patouche provide both shared and private excursions to the east of Tortola including the Norman Island Caves, Indians, Cooper Island, OR the Baths. I know Patouche also has a power cat that provides private excursions to Jost and VG or the Willy T...

A third option is going on your own (if allowed) via ferry to one or the other.

There is also ALOT of info here in pre-pandemic posts including itineraries and pricing...

Edited by blue_water

Thank you!  My husband makes the point that this may be our opportunity to go to the Baths without a big crowd.   Wondering if there is a beach with a beautiful beach and fun bar closer to the Baths or if Soggy Dollar really worth the extra time??

17 hours ago, laurajc said:

Thank you!  My husband makes the point that this may be our opportunity to go to the Baths without a big crowd.   Wondering if there is a beach with a beautiful beach and fun bar closer to the Baths or if Soggy Dollar really worth the extra time??

We would do one or the other because we wouldn’t want to spend that much time moving around, but it’s your day and you have the option of doing JVD/VG if you do a private tour...

The problem with avoiding the big crowd is that you and your fellow passengers ARE the big crowd. Land visitors will stay away from the Baths midday because you are there. The one option - if you are in port long enough - is to enjoy another beach like Savannah Bay  or Spring Bay, then head to the Baths after the main crowd from the ship...

You can find ideas and recommendations on that in earlier threads by using the Search function too...

Savannah Bay May have a vendor with drinks, not sure. Spring Bay is close to the Baths but has no amenities. Some folks just go to Spring because it has a slightly similar topography to the Baths but is a flatter access. 
For this question I would ask residents/recent land visitors on the VG forum on TripAdvisor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g147358-i651-Virgin_Gorda_British_Virgin_Islands.html

A nice day would be to enjoy Spring or Savanah Bay,  then the Baths, and then hit Mad Dog Cafe near the Top of the Baths for cocktails.

https://www.facebook.com/MadDogVG/

You can also try the Baths & Turtle /Chez Bamboo in Spanishtown after your beach day and walk to the ferry terminal from there..

https://www.bathturtle.com/

good luck!

• Like 2

I agree with all of Blue Water's suggestions.  I think that the Baths is a really special place, so highly recommend going there.  A few additional thoughts:

Private tours can cost reasonable amounts if you share them with other cruisers on the roll call for your cruise.  We did that in Tortola several years ago (can't recall the company we went with--it was a dive company, but I'm sure they would have done whatever type of trip we wanted).  

I'm also someone who tends to do one thing per day,  but if you want to go to another place in addition to VG, you might take a taxi to Cane Garden Bay on Tortola.  It's a pretty beach, there are several bars/restaurants, and you get to see beautiful Tortola on the way there.  

• Like 1

Yes jaga04 is correct, many day visitors will get another couple or two from their roll call to make a nice private boat excursion affordable. I had checked prices with Ocean Magic awhile back and they and Captain Malcolm offered private tours ranging from $750 for a couple on a small powerboat, to $100/person with up to 12 ppl...just depends on the itinerary and what you want to spend. They can also drop you by water at the Baths, either by dinghy or a swim into shore from the boat...

With your port time and fewer people you have excellent choices for Tortola, and a Jost/VG day is very doable. Tortola is a gorgeous island as Jaya mentioned too...

• Like 1

Thanks, blue_water and jaga04!  We are definitely leaning towards VG and the Baths.    Chez Bamboo looks lovely!  I have emailed Gary at Kuralu, I will check in with Ocean Magic as well.  We are okay with taxis and public ferries, etc. as well.  Our ship roll call is still pretty quiet, not sure about booking last minute given the current conditions! 

The trip advisor link you shared is super helpful!  Cane Garden Bay looks like a great afternoon option.  Really hoping everyone stays well and we are able to leave the ship on our own!  Thanks so much for all of your expertise!

Yes you can always take the earliest Speedy’s ferry, and if a large part group is heading to the Baths just take your time and check out Savannah Bay first. You can find a driver who will work with you and drop you at one spot and return to take you to another. Fares are reasonable as well, ~$5 - $6/pp each trip.

But you may be able to go straight to the Baths if the group is not too big, and then return to Tortola and enjoy a cocktail an a nice beach. CGB is beautiful, or perhaps Brewers Bay which is much less busy and has that old Carib vibe...Both are a 20 minute, $8/pp taxi over the spine of the island with spectacular views of the bays and other islands on the way...

Whatever your day enjoy!

• 1 month later...

It seems like the OP has it figured out...

I would only like to add to the thread from personal experience (to potentially help others that may also read it):

Of our three separate (cruise) port-days @ the BVIs.

Our 1st visit was docked @Tortola --- Beach Day at Virgin Gorda-The Baths/Devil's Bay Beach via Speedy's ferry @Road Town<-->Spanish Town/Safari Shuttle(RT).

Our 2nd visit was docked @Tortola --- Beach Day @Jost Van Dyke/White Bay Beach via ferry @West End<-->Great Harbour/Taxi(RT).

Our 3rd visit was anchored @Virgin Gorda --- Beach Day @Spring Bay Beach/Little Trunk Bay Beach via Safari Shuttle(RT).

The point that I'm trying to make here is that it may be better to avoid the Clark Griswold (try to fit it all in one day) type of thinking, even if one believes that they may only visit the BVIs once in their lifetime.

If one cruises frequently enough, chances are good that there will be other opportunities to get to the BVIs, and do something different than the previous visit.

We had pleasant days, with plenty of time to relax and enjoy our visits on all three separate occasions.

I don't think trying to fit both The Baths & JVD in one day @port (off of a cruise ship) would be very relaxing; with so much time involved in transit.

Edited by Skai
  • Like 1

Yes agreed, spending all of your time on one beach or in one area with no lengthy transfers does make for a more relaxing day. We stay on Tortola and have taken day trips to the other islands that way, enjoying all that area has to offer…. And the Baths are just a unique experience and so I always recommend going there to first time visitors, whether via ferry or on a shared or private cat. Just understand what that particular transportation option entails so you are not disappointed…

Having said that, many day visitors who want to pack a fun, diverse day into their visit do have great powerboat options here to whisk them to a couple destinations, albeit with limited time in each place. Definitely not as relaxing a day, but I remember younger days when that option would have appealed to us…

Either way the islands of the BVI are gorgeous, and getting between them part of the excellent adventure!