Light Rail from Sea-Tac

FredZiffle

There's a light rail station within a couple of blocks of our hotel neat the Port of Seattle.  Any reason not to take light rail from the airport on a Friday mid day?  If it goes smoothly, I was also considering the reverse trip on debarkation day (so Saturday morning).

As long as you’re mobile.  The light rail wasn’t designed for a lot of luggage although there is small area or two in each car. Another consideration is that, although it doesn’t happen often, the escalators and elevators can be out of service.  It’s a long haul up to street level from Westlake.

Another note, depending on your definition of “near”, the Westlake light rail station is about 1 mile from Bell St. Pier and about 4 miles to the other cruise port at Smith cove.

14 hours ago, Glaciers said:

As long as you’re mobile.  The light rail wasn’t designed for a lot of luggage although there is small area or two in each car. Another consideration is that, although it doesn’t happen often, the escalators and elevators can be out of service.  It’s a long haul up to street level from Westlake.

Another note, depending on your definition of “near”, the Westlake light rail station is about 1 mile from Bell St. Pier and about 4 miles to the other cruise port at Smith cove.

I'm actually looking at Univ. St. Station.  We're staying at the Crowne Plaza.

As long as you’re mobile you’ll be fine. Before we moved here we would travel down from Alaska several times a year.  Only one time did we take a town car, every other time is was the light rail. Make sure you put your luggage in the storage area quickly or you’ll have it on the seat next to you or in the aisle which won’t make you very popular.

If you have a little down time you might take a look at Freeway Park. It’s across the street from your hotel.  There had been some homeless there but things are being cleaned up and it may not be bad. Another neat stop would be the Starbucks Reserve Roastery. It doesn’t get mentioned a lot but is a very neat place.

If you’re not spending the night in Seattle on your return, the light rail becomes more inconvenient as you’ll, most likely, need public transportation from the cruise terminal to the Westlake Station to catch the light rail. Much easier to just take the public transportation direct to the airport from the cruise terminal.

Edited by Glaciers

On 5/24/2021 at 12:13 PM, Glaciers said:

Much easier to just take the public transportation direct to the airport from the cruise terminal.

I haven't stumbled on that option yet.  Can you elaborate?  I'm assuming bus.

1 hour ago, FredZiffle said:

I haven't stumbled on that option yet.  Can you elaborate?  I'm assuming bus.

Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Cruise line transportation. You will have to take some form of transportation from the cruise terminal, might as well take it all the way to the airport instead of just to the  light rail station.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Glaciers said:

Taxi/Uber/Lyft/Cruise line transportation. You will have to take some form of transportation from the cruise terminal, might as well take it all the way to the airport instead of just to the  light rail station.

Glaciers is correct in suggesting that you go directly from the pier to the airport.  It would be faster and easier than going back into DT Seattle to get on the light-rail.  Not sure which pier(66 or 91) you will be using, but the last few years, the taxis at Pier 91 (HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Princess & Carnival) offered a flat rate to Sea-Tac Airport ~$39.  Not sure yet what the plan will be this season.

9 hours ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

Glaciers is correct in suggesting that you go directly from the pier to the airport.  It would be faster and easier than going back into DT Seattle to get on the light-rail.  Not sure which pier(66 or 91) you will be using, but the last few years, the taxis at Pier 91 (HAL, Celebrity, RCI, Princess & Carnival) offered a flat rate to Sea-Tac Airport ~$39.  Not sure yet what the plan will be this season.

But Glaciers referred to "Public Transportation".  That's not a taxi or shuttle or Uber.  We have plenty of time, so if there is no public transportation, I'll opt for a much shorter Uber to the nearest light rail station.

• Like 1

I’ve not heard of anyone using the bus between the cruise terminal and the airport so didn’t consider it. It would be pretty inconvenient. You can check the schedule.

https://kingcounty.gov/depts/transportation/metro/schedules-maps.aspx?search=duvall

You might also consider walking from the cruise terminal to the light rail station. It would take about 1.5 hours of schlepping luggage but will save you $21, if that’s important to you.  A quick Uber search indicated $21. I live close to the walking path and have seen “light packing cruisers” walk it each year. Although they appear to be walkers and not trying to save a few bucks.

You might consider posting this question on TripAdvisor. You will get many more responses to Seattle transportation questions.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowForum-g60878-i74-Seattle_Washington.html

Edited by Glaciers

23 hours ago, FredZiffle said:

But Glaciers referred to "Public Transportation".  That's not a taxi or shuttle or Uber.  We have plenty of time, so if there is no public transportation, I'll opt for a much shorter Uber to the nearest light rail station.

There is no public transportation at Pier 91.  To access true public transportation you would have to walk yourself out of the Pier 91 complex and get yourself to a city street.  While it is doable (assuming that you are mobile and have sturdy wheeled luggage) it is neither convenient or particularly easy.  Passengers complain about the 10 minute 1/4 mile walk to the Uber/Lyft lot.  You would be walking a bit less than a mile in an industrial port with few sidewalks and lots of buses, trucks and cars passing you.  I don't recommend it. 

7 minutes ago, Ferry_Watcher said:

There is no public transportation at Pier 91.  

Thanks everyone for the information.  Yeah, I'm cheap, but not cheap enough to schlep luggage a mile through an industrial area.  Looks like my cheapest option without undue burdens will be to take light rail from SEA to the Westlake Station and a Lyft from there to the hotel.  Lyft or taxi from the hotel to port.  On return, Lyft from port to Westlake Station and light rail from there to airport.

21 minutes ago, FredZiffle said:

Thanks everyone for the information.  Yeah, I'm cheap, but not cheap enough to schlep luggage a mile through an industrial area.  Looks like my cheapest option without undue burdens will be to take light rail from SEA to the Westlake Station and a Lyft from there to the hotel.  Lyft or taxi from the hotel to port.  On return, Lyft from port to Westlake Station and light rail from there to airport.

FZ, if your fight leaves Seattle mid day, and if your suitcase is a small carry-on size, you might consider taking Lyft to Pike Place Market and having breakfast there.  The cost to take Lyft to Pike Place Market should be about $20. Then you could walk from Pike Place to Westlake Station and then take the light-rail to Sea-Tac.  Might be the best of both worlds.

Edited by Ferry_Watcher
added info
  • Like 1

I highly recommend an app call City Mapper for navigating public transportation.  I used it to get all over London and had not a single hiccup, and had never even really used much public transportation before.  It guides you step by step.  I was thrilled to find out it was available for Seattle.  Sorry if I sound like an ad ..it's just so helpful if you're trying to figure out buses and such.  The walking directions are even great.  SO much more user friendly than Google.  You get a little fan in front of you that shows you which direction you're facing, so you don't end up walking a ways the wrong direction before you figure out which way to go.  

Edited by DenaInWyo
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry I didn't read all the responses.

To the original question, the light rail is great...... when you don't have cruise luggage.

Weather is another consideration. I'd just cab, shuttle or Uber to your hotel.