WORLD CRUISES

Rotterdam

I'm looking at taking a world cruise, either on one ship in its entirety or piecing together several voyages do ultimately I would sail all around the globe.

I'll be sailing solo. MSC POESIA has an interesting itinerary & ON Oceania I could get to Sydney & board QM2 back to NYC.

Has anyone else done a world cruise or portion thereof? I / we would  like to hear about your experience & the away.

😊 

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2021 at 4:13 PM, Rotterdam said:

I'm looking at taking a world cruise, either on one ship in its entirety or piecing together several voyages do ultimately I would sail all around the globe.

I'll be sailing solo. MSC POESIA has an interesting itinerary & ON Oceania I could get to Sydney & board QM2 back to NYC.

Has anyone else done a world cruise or portion thereof? I / we would  like to hear about your experience & the away.

😊

Sadly, I had a 39 night sector of a P&O World Cruise cancelled for this year. Personally, if I were looking to book another one in the future, seeing what happened when the Covid Pandemic struck, I think I would want to do it all on one cruise line. At least they then have a responsibility to look after you and get you back home.

On 6/11/2021 at 6:42 AM, Britboys said:

Sadly, I had a 39 night sector of a P&O World Cruise cancelled for this year. Personally, if I were looking to book another one in the future, seeing what happened when the Covid Pandemic struck, I think I would want to do it all on one cruise line. At least they then have a responsibility to look after you and get you back home.

Hi BB's....

I wanted an itinerary that completely circumnavigate the world 🌎 START & finish in the same port..truly around the world.

As far as the cruise lines are concerned I've found a traveller at times are left to their own devices...such as passengers on the HAL WORLD CRUISE 🛳 last year...they were basically dumped in Australia.  I ry not to  sail on a CARNIVORE CORP ship anymore...BUT even long time HAL FANS were turned off by the way they were treated. I know QM2/ CUNARD IS a CARNIVORE brand but being able to sail in & out of NYC is a major plus.

15 hours ago, Rotterdam said:

Hi BB's....

I wanted an itinerary that completely circumnavigate the world 🌎 START & finish in the same port..truly around the world.

As far as the cruise lines are concerned I've found a traveller at times are left to their own devices...such as passengers on the HAL WORLD CRUISE 🛳 last year...they were basically dumped in Australia.  I ry not to  sail on a CARNIVORE CORP ship anymore...BUT even long time HAL FANS were turned off by the way they were treated. I know QM2/ CUNARD IS a CARNIVORE brand but being able to sail in & out of NYC is a major plus.

That's strange. I know someone who was on a South America cruise with HAL when the Pandemic struck and he felt they were very well looked after. He should have disembarked in South America but eventually got off in Miami and was then flown back to the UK.

23 hours ago, Britboys said:

That's strange. I know someone who was on a South America cruise with HAL when the Pandemic struck and he felt they were very well looked after. He should have disembarked in South America but eventually got off in Miami and was then flown back to the UK.

If you have a moment look up posts on HAL Board from WCB ...they are long term HAL world cruise passengers...they tell a different story...lack of communication, being dumped in Australia & then 8 months before their luggage showed up.

Tho active they are getting up in years...they went back to California i believe on 3 different flights...they had good insurance but HAL wasn't exactly

Accommodating.

CARNIVORE CORP that owns HAL is ultimately responsible.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

I am looking into a world cruise on Viking - covid and the cost of the solo supplement are impediments but not insurmountable obstacles.  I think I have my brother talked into part or all of the trip, but we would want separagte rooms for a trip that long so back to the single supplement problem.  I'll be following this thread for tips!

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to suggest looking at Viking.  They took incredible care of WCers when Covid hit.  They ended up with only 8 guests aboard at one point.  Moved them all to suites, had special events, etc. until they could eventually get them home.  Check out https://andyandjudi.com/2020-world-cruise-viking-ocean/ for a detailed report from onboard.

We hope to do a World Cruise in the future.  Have a couple more years until I am Medicare eligible which will allow me to get off of Obamacare and allow us to increase our income by selling stocks to fund the cruise.🤞

• 1 month later...
On 8/11/2021 at 10:56 AM, Clay Clayton said:

I was going to suggest looking at Viking.  They took incredible care of WCers when Covid hit.  They ended up with only 8 guests aboard at one point.  Moved them all to suites, had special events, etc. until they could eventually get them home.  Check out https://andyandjudi.com/2020-world-cruise-viking-ocean/ for a detailed report from onboard.

We hope to do a World Cruise in the future.  Have a couple more years until I am Medicare eligible which will allow me to get off of Obamacare and allow us to increase our income by selling stocks to fund the cruise.🤞

Thank you Clay...as Im still reluctant to book...tho my heart strings are saying..."go for it"

I did read the blog & w

have checked out Viking options.....

3 hours ago, RICHARD@SEA said:

Thank you Clay...as Im still reluctant to book...tho my heart strings are saying..."go for it"

I did read the blog & w

have checked out Viking options.....

If you decide to go with Viking (even if not a WC), drop me an email so I can share some co$t $aving tip$. BigNCBear@aol.com

• 1 month later...

I've always wanted to do a world cruise but I don't think it's in the cards for me.  The best I think I can do it to do segments over several years to I will sail around the world, but not continuously.  The thought of multiple ships for you trips does sound more interesting.  Different people, different menu, etc

On 11/6/2021 at 11:51 AM, dad son team said:

I've always wanted to do a world cruise but I don't think it's in the cards for me.  The best I think I can do it to do segments over several years to I will sail around the world, but not continuously.  The thought of multiple ships for you trips does sound more interesting.  Different people, different menu, etc

Back before retirement I put together an itinerary doing an around the world cruise as you described, mostly to determine how it’s cost compared to what my mother was paying for assisted living (worked out to be slightly cheaper to cruise and the food would have been much better😂)  

The issue I had was I would find myself stuck in locations for a good while unless I was willing to fly someplace to catch the next ship….or stay inland for a few months.  For example, I got to Alaska   In May but couldn’t get to Asia until the fall when one of those ships repositioned.  Same sort of thing when I got us to Europe in January or February…couldn’t get back to the US until the next fall.  #firstworldproblems

We hope to be able to do a world cruise after we both qualify for Medicare (six or seven years away) and we can drop Obamacare (which allowed us to retire early) which keeps us from being able to sell enough stock to fund the WC. Hopefully we will both still be healthy and able to enjoy it by then 🤞