Southern Caribbean on Explorer vs. Harmony w/ new cruisers?

I have sailed both of those ships and have sailed the two itineraries several times.  I like to visit new places and therefore I tend to sail for the itinerary.  The Southern Caribbean is my favorite of the Caribbean routes.

However, we loved the Harmony.  There is just so much to do.  Everyone can find something they really want to do.  We took the Harmony TA when she first came to the US from Europe. So, we had LOTS of sea days.  We did not get to do everything we wanted.  I really enjoyed the escape room.  Your 12 person group would be the perfect size group to do that. 

Having to fly to San Juan [a city I love to visit] is a big PITA with that group size.  We have found San Juan to be a disorganized port for embarkation. Also, getting everyone to get their luggage through the agriculture inspection for the return flight can be a snag. 

I think Orlando is an easy airport to navigate.  

Have you asked the other veteran cruisers?  I agree that the bride and groom should pick what they like.  However, if they are undecided the other veteran cruisers may have valuable insight.

. . . So, I am another vote for the Harmony.

• Like 1

If you think cruising will be back to normal by February 2022, Harmony in the 2 bedroom GS with 6 people (holds 8, but too crowded in my opinion) in the cabin is so worth it. 
The suite benefits allow you so much freedom. 
No need to buy drink/refreshment package or internet. You don’t need to worry about reservations to any of the shows except The Comedy Show. 
The suite sun deck is wonderful. 
Free beer, wine, water and soda from 11-11, and mixed drinks from 5-8:30 every night. 
Meals in Coastal Kitchen 3 times a day if you want. Free internet. It becomes a stress free cruise with SO much to do. 
Find a TA that will give you OBC or free tips for 4 of the 6 guests in the cabin. 
Concierge will email you ahead of time and reserve any Royal excursions you want. 

If you don’t think cruising will be back to normal, I would go on the Explorer. 

I’ve been on both. 

Zip line on the Harmony is quick and easy. I don’t go on the slides, but will do the zip line. 
The zip line on Labadee is so worth it ONE time. 

• 1 month later...

We just booked the Explorer.  We were on one big ship, Anthem, a few years ago and it had propulsion issues.  We did not like the big ship except for the entertainment and a few of the activities were nice to try.  The crew doesn't get to know you and the Cruise Director and staff was standoffish.  We cruise for the ports more than the ship.  The kids (young adults?) aren't paying and I would hope they would appreciate the cruise whichever one.

On 5/26/2021 at 11:19 AM, RedIguana said:

Was explorer ever able to complete her amplification? I know it was postponed at one point. I'm curious how much difference there would be in activities if she has completed her amp. I've only done Harmony (with DD who was 19) and several of the Sovereign classes (with DW, we are both 50's). Unless you are suite class or key, shows etc. have a long wait time or early sign up on Harmony (JS on Harmony with Key worked out pretty well, this was march 2019 so key was pretty new). Harmony is a great ship though. Have explorer booked for 8 day southern next august.

No, it has not been amped yet and won't be by Feb 22.  I was on the Navigator in 2019 shortly after its amplification and it makes a huge difference.  However, I'm going on the Explorer in March 2022 to St. Martin and the ABC islands, so it obviously doesn't make a difference to me.

I think you made the right choice. I have traveled with children of that age group and they really enjoyed seeing all of the different ports and exploring. Going in and out of San Juan is an adventure of its own - and these ports are all really good. To me, it's kind of like asking if you are going for the destination or the hotel. Waking up in a different port almost every day is an adventure of it's own.