Bliss

6 minutes ago, PhillyTravelBug said:

Bliss with the observation lounge was the perfect ship when we sailed Alaska. I highly recommend.... unless you plan on sailing on Apex with Celebrity.

This.  We generally don't pay for fancy balcony rooms, so being on a ship with a nice observation lounge is great.  Epic is the epic example of what no-lounge means.  Also, a rear facing outdoor restaurant is fantastic.  Again, Epic is an epic example of how not to do it....

I believe that both our previous Alaska cruises were on the Pearl, which had both.  I had to "beat up" the crew members in the Pearl show booth when they put on some stupid afternoon event and closed all the blinds in the observation lounge so people could better see the idiots on stage.  They first agreed to open them a bit but, we still couldn't see anything.  Finally they understood.   jk about the "beating up."   More like politely asked (twice).

9 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

Thanks!! I find myself so pissed at NCL today. 

Don't be.  Covid isn't their fault.  Neither are the CDC's evolving rules.  I'm just so glad that they promptly reinstated the 2021 Alaska cruises.  We've been trying to sail on one since May 2020 and have been cancelled three times.  Hopefully the fourth time's the charm.

27 minutes ago, jcu1210 said:

Thanks!! I find myself so pissed at NCL today. 

Who isn’t? 

I’m not, actually, but only because I had already switched from Joy to Bliss late last week. Otherwise…

But I agree that this one is sailing. 

11 minutes ago, coastcat said:

Who isn’t? 

I’m not, actually, but only because I had already switched from Joy to Bliss late last week. Otherwise…

I'm the opposite of pissed.  I'm happy with NCL.  Especially that they are rushing to get Alaska cruises going again.  Sure, I've had to start a spreadsheet to track all the bookings and cancellations, but that's okay.  I like spreadsheets.  See y'all on the Bliss!!!

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

I'm the opposite of pissed.  I'm happy with NCL.  Especially that they are rushing to get Alaska cruises going again.  Sure, I've had to start a spreadsheet to track all the bookings and cancellations, but that's okay.  I like spreadsheets.  See y'all on the Bliss!!!

I feel the same.  My poor pcc hahaha.  I said please don’t hate me when I called her hahaha 

1 hour ago, coastcat said:

Who isn’t? 

I’m a worrier shading to “alarmist” (which has often served me well), and the Bliss/Alaska announcements were the first time I ran even a mock booking since March 2020. So if it got past my hyper-vigilant gut, we might be ok?

The only thing I was still wondering about was staffing, and that was before they diverted the Joy staff over. Does make me wonder how well any of the big lines will do at ramping back up. Has to be crazy logistics involved, especially with so many employees coming from the other side of the world, and maybe from countries without vaccine rollout … if they can even get a lot of those people back. 

52 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

Does make me wonder how well any of the big lines will do at ramping back up. Has to be crazy logistics involved, especially with so many employees coming from the other side of the world, and maybe from countries without vaccine rollout … if they can even get a lot of those people back. 

It is a logistical nightmare.  I'm sure running a cruise line is crazy complicated even in normal times.  I think the slow ramp up in sailings is a recognition of this.  Alaska now presents the least variables to deal with.  No foreign stops.  Mainland departure.  If it weren't for the state of Hawaii, POA would likely be the second safest opening.  

2 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

We just pulled the trigger and put a courtesy hold on Bliss to Alaska. Need to wait to get our cruise next back to put down the deposit. Hopefully they will get funds back to us quickly like they have in the past. I sure do hope this one goes! Very excited to drop some tourist dollars in Alaska!

• Like 2

8 hours ago, jcu1210 said:

So we just had our 4th cruise cancelled and our now debating about doing the Bliss or celebrity. It sounds like Alaska is happening, but curious if anyone has strong thoughts about the likihood of it actually happening this August.

I think Captainwoody gave you great advice, that is what I have done with another cruise. I say go for it. Good luck!

9 hours ago, jcu1210 said:

So we just had our 4th cruise cancelled and our now debating about doing the Bliss or celebrity. It sounds like Alaska is happening, but curious if anyone has strong thoughts about the likihood of it actually happening this August.

The Bliss is a beautiful trip and the first purpose-built ship for Alaska. A large observation lounge taking up 1/3 of Deck 15, heaters over outdoor dining areas, heated pools and water features. We were on the inaugural voyage of the Bliss to Alaska and will sail on her again this fall.... after our cruise out of Jamaica was just cancelled. 

Well, I mentioned Edge upthread, but it sounds like DeSantis is still playing politics (including with that sailing), so I'm glad to be sailing out of ... basically any other state ... for this one. (See X forum for more info, don't want to derail too much. I only brought up the Edge sailing last night because it gave me a greater sense that we might actually get this whole thing off the ground soon ...)

Edited by AdoraBelle

1 minute ago, dottedline said:

So. how will the covid test work before embarkation?

On their site right now, it says "All guests will be required to take a COVID-19 antigen test." 

There are cheap/easy/fast antigen tests available now, ones where you can self-swab. I've been assuming they'll use something like that. 

But with 80 days to go, who knows. The situation is changing so fast. I've read about some other types of rapid tests being developed (like breath or saliva based). 

Not sure. US is in a much better place now, but still at 20k ish new cases per day. I’m also completely ignorant on how international travelers are handled (for example, can someone fly in from the UK and take this cruise?). 

11 hours ago, dottedline said:

So. how will the covid test work before embarkation?

Royal had a pre-boarding test requirement which they just removed for vaccinated people. Only non-vaccinated people (kids under 12) will need to be tested at check-in. 

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

My guess is that this test requirement will be removed fairly soon.

I feel the same, I think they will remove the testing requirement. Fingers crossed 🤞