South America Cruises

Focused1

Has anyone heard from Silversea about the South America cruises in January/Feb 2022?  Today, another cruise line cancelled cruises to that area for 2022. We are booked on the Jan 19 sailing and received flight arrangements today. 

I am booked on the FLL LIM cruise December 2 to 18, 2021 aboard Silver Dawn and feel less and less confident. But so many things can change in a 6-month time frame. Remember what was the health situation 6 months ago end of November 2020! 

12 hours ago, Focused1 said:

Has anyone heard from Silversea about the South America cruises in January/Feb 2022?  Today, another cruise line cancelled cruises to that area for 2022. We are booked on the Jan 19 sailing and received flight arrangements today. 

Which cruise line cancelled?  We are booked on Oceania for Jan 8/22 and beginning to have our doubts.   Have heard nothing, but that is no surprise....

For what its worth , Barbara Muckermann  responded to a similar question about this on her Q & A forum

"As of now, all published itineraries for Silver Dawn will operate as planned" 

I'm booked on the Silver Dawn for Mar 22 Manaus to Miami and am prepared for the  "we are sorry to inform you email"  But can't see Silversea taking any decisions on this until nearer Oct/Nov.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Condocat said:

Which cruise line cancelled?  We are booked on Oceania for Jan 8/22 and beginning to have our doubts.   Have heard nothing, but that is no surprise....

Regent canceled a bunch of SA itineraries in the past few days.  I've got Azamara to SA booked in Jan '22, but think the odds of that going forward are slim to none.  It's great that Regent gave their guests so much advanced notice.  I wish SS, Azamara etc. would do the same.  

17 hours ago, Focused1 said:

We are on the one previous to yours (3 Jan 2022)..... There is next to zero chance IMHO it will sail. I do think Silver Dawn will do its Transatlantic, but think it will be sailing in the Caribbean. The infection and death rates are still crazily high throughout South America. I can't see SS risking its sailings by going to places with high infection rates... and I doubt these countries will want visitors either.

Funnily though, I did see my flight from Lima to London Heathrow (KLM Via Schipol) is showing on my.silversea. But then flights have been shown on the 3 other SS cancellations I'd booked with flights.

Its particularly annoying as this booking was a replacement for the near exact cruise on the moon meant to sale last November - which was already a cancellation because of Cuba. 4th time lucky maybe!

I tend to agree with Les37b but still remaining hopeful.  Here is an email I just received from a Silversea insider when I posed the question:

"No. We have not announced and do not plan on canceling any voyages to these regions. We plan on resuming sail to Antarctica this upcoming November and also to South America."

I am of  the opposite belief of most of you.  With the spectacular efficacy of the vaccines, and the ships being 100% filled with vaccinated passengers and crew, to whom/where is the harm??

Economies have been devestated by Covid, and any infusion of tourist $$$, without the risk of having the tourists spread the virus, nor require medical care in the country is what is needed. Is it 100% guaranteed, nope.  But its the absolute best option.

And the cruislines will find out pretty fast in June and July the success or failure of sailing with ships 100% jabbed.

If a ship filled with TOTALLY vaccinated people can't visit a country safely, who can?, and how do they expect to welcome any tourists back?  Has to be by this highly controlled method of 100% fully vaccinated people.

Just my 2 cents.

Edited by kimanjo
  • Like 2

On 5/27/2021 at 3:38 PM, kimanjo said:

With the spectacular efficacy of the vaccines, and the ships being 100% filled with vaccinated passengers and crew, to whom/where is the harm??

Economies have been devestated by Covid, and any infusion of tourist $$$, without the risk of having the tourists spread the virus, nor require medical care in the country is what is needed. Is it 100% guaranteed, nope.  But its the absolute best option.

And the cruislines will find out pretty fast in June and July the success or failure of sailing with ships 100% jabbed. If a ship filled with TOTALLY vaccinated people can't visit a country safely, who can?, and how do they expect to welcome any tourists back?

I agree with you. But as you say, the test will be trying it in the real world. The concern is whether a ship with 100% vaccinated people can safely travel for days and weeks, and make port calls (a) without people onboard falling ill, and (b) without people onboard picking up the virus asymptomatically but transmitting it during port calls, and in airports and planes going home. The science says the risks are low enough to move ahead, but the tests with live people and traveling ships will give us a more solid answer.

12 minutes ago, cruiseej said:

I agree with you. But as you say, the test will be trying it in the real world. The concern is whether a ship with 100% vaccinated people can safely travel for days and weeks, and make port calls (a) without people onboard falling ill, and (b) without people onboard picking up the virus asymptomatically but transmitting it during port calls, and in airports and planes going home. The science says the risks are low enough to move ahead, but the tests with live people and traveling ships will give us a more solid answer.

Red highlight is mine.  Yup, that's the test.  If your'e asymptomatic, can you transmit???  Can you shed it? That is what we'll learn.  

If anyone missed the it, this is a very, very interesting article re: the "breakthrough" cases on the NY Yankees.

https://nymag.com/intelligencer/2021/05/what-really-happened-with-that-weird-yankees-covid-outbreak.html

. The vaccines doing what they are supposed to.  Keeping nearly 100% from getting seriously ill or dying. 

• Thanks 1