One thing I forgot to mention about Super Bowl on the ship

LAFFNVEGAS

One thing I did forget to mention was about the Super Bowl last Sunday. When we first met up with Mr. Deering on Saturday he said that they knew they were going to get the Satellite Feed for the Super Bowl. Each ship has to pay $25,000.00 to access and show the Super Bowl. What they did not know till the broadcast is if it would be in English or Spanish. It ended up that it was a little of both, the actual commentary was in English but the scoring and written words on the screen were mostly in Spanish as well as we did have commercials but....they were also Central American Spanish commercial. So we were unable to see any of the expensive entertaining U.S. commercials.

They had the Super Bowl on TV in the Lounge while the Captian's Welcome party was going on???

KK, Yes, you can review my picture. I have pictures showing it while the Captian's Welcome part was taking place.

part 1

http://community.webshots.com/album/547512961DgHgIE

part 2

http://community.webshots.com/album/547522649qYTiTB

I'm not sure that is correct. That would be over $100 a guest on just TV alone. Maybe there is some mistake here. There is a fee that businesses pay to show the Superbowl and they cannot make it different for different businesses (with the exception of a lower price for larger amounts of people) and most Superbowl parties at bars and restaurants don't have to charge $100 for an entry fee. I'm thinking that maybe it's $25,000 for the whole fleet.

I'm not sure that is correct. That would be over $100 a guest on just TV alone. Maybe there is some mistake here. There is a fee that businesses pay to show the Superbowl and they cannot make it different for different businesses (with the exception of a lower price for larger amounts of people) and most Superbowl parties at bars and restaurants don't have to charge $100 for an entry fee. I'm thinking that maybe it's $25,000 for the whole fleet.

No, it was definitely $25,000 per ship. We spoke quite bit with Mr. Deering about this and what the cost was for the whole company.

Hi ya Lisa, with Maria and Vic from the Oosterdam in Mazatlan! Mr. Deering, Esther and Marj all say hi to you and Tom! Having a great time!:)

Oh John, I wish I would have been on line when you logged in while in Mazatlan but I have been so very busy at work since I returned. I hope you can check back in and sya Hi to Mr Deering, Esther and Marj. I bet I even know the place you got on the computer at:) $3.00 for 30 minutes is a good deal;) Thanks again.

No, it was definitely $25,000 per ship. We spoke quite bit with Mr. Deering about this and what the cost was for the whole company.

What was the justification for that kind of charge? It's like saying McDonald's charged someone $50 for a burger? I'm just very skeptical about such a preposterous charge for something that anyone can see on TV for free.

Think of it this way, all of the Hotels in the US would have to pay $100 for that Sunday night the SuperBowl is telecast. Every bar in town would have to pay the same fee.

The Superbowl is not a Pay-Per-View event like Main Event Boxing, but is broadcast on Network Television for Free.

I hate to question Mr. Deering's knowledge on this subject but his numbers are just not rational.

What was the justification for that kind of charge? It's like saying McDonald's charged someone $50 for a burger? I'm just very skeptical about such a preposterous charge for something that anyone can see on TV for free.

Think of it this way, all of the Hotels in the US would have to pay $100 for that Sunday night the SuperBowl is telecast. Every bar in town would have to pay the same fee.

The Superbowl is not a Pay-Per-View event like Main Event Boxing, but is broadcast on Network Television for Free.

I hate to question Mr. Deering's knowledge on this subject but his numbers are just not rational.

I see where you are coming from. Yes, it is free in the states BUT Hal's ships do not pick up regular network TV. They have to pay to access a satellite which looks like some kind of Ted Turner / CNN package to me. (I wish they would dump this and go with FOX News.)

The $25,000 is steep. :eek: I don't know why they would bother at that price. I find it hard to believe that is the actual cost per ship.

If this in fact is the actual cost, as a CCL stock holder I would vote to forget showing the superbowl at this price. If this is so important to someone don't book a cruise when the superbowl is being played.

American Broadcasting Laws are very strict about re-broadcasting of television programming to the public. Basically it is forbidden, with huge fines for anyone caught in the act.

Although Cruise Ships have the technology and equipment to snatch programming out of the air, they are not allowed to show that programming to the paying public (but they do sometimes show local programming on the crew television channels, which is legal).

The basis for this regulation is advertising contracts that advertisers have with broadcasters. Advertisers pay big bucks to be seen on broadcasts that are guaranteed to reach a certain number of households. If cruise ships / airplanes and any other "outsiders" rebroadcast those ads to additional receivers, the advertisers are getting a free ride and the broadcasters are not getting paid fully for their services.

So the only way a cruise ship can legally re-broadcast a program is to purchase it from a satellite service. In most cases, the satellite feed does not include those ads. Most cruisers who watched the Superbowl last week didn't get to see those outrageously expensive (several million dollars for a 30 second ad) and fun advertisements that the Superbowl is famous for, because the advertisers had not paid additional money to have their ads broadcast to additional viewers (cruise ship passengers). So if the advertisers don't pay the freight for the programming shown on the cruise ship, who is going to pay? The Cruise Lines.

American Broadcasting Laws are very strict about re-broadcasting of television programming to the public. Basically it is forbidden, with huge fines for anyone caught in the act.

Although Cruise Ships have the technology and equipment to snatch programming out of the air, they are not allowed to show that programming to the paying public (but they do sometimes show local programming on the crew television channels, which is legal).

The basis for this regulation is advertising contracts that advertisers have with broadcasters. Advertisers pay big bucks to be seen on broadcasts that are guaranteed to reach a certain number of households. If cruise ships / airplanes and any other "outsiders" rebroadcast those ads to additional receivers, the advertisers are getting a free ride and the broadcasters are not getting paid fully for their services.

So the only way a cruise ship can legally re-broadcast a program is to purchase it from a satellite service. In most cases, the satellite feed does not include those ads. Most cruisers who watched the Superbowl last week didn't get to see those outrageously expensive (several million dollars for a 30 second ad) and fun advertisements that the Superbowl is famous for, because the advertisers had not paid additional money to have their ads broadcast to additional viewers (cruise ship passengers). So if the advertisers don't pay the freight for the programming shown on the cruise ship, who is going to pay? The Cruise Lines.

It seems that most of your post is very informative, but that does not justify over $100 a person in viewing fees. Go to Atlantic City or Las Vegas or any Sports bar on Super Bowl Sunday. There are literally millions that view the Superbowl from Satellite services across the country and world. And I know that these bars could not afford $100 or more per person.

Again, I could understand maybe $250 or even a near insane $2500 for rebroadcast permission. But $25,000? No. Not realistic. I think someone may have made a mistake here.

kingclick,

You and I obviously went to different high schools.

Where I come from, $25,000 divided by about 2,000 passengers comes to about $12.50 per head, not "over $100 a person".

You think $25,000 for the superbowl is insane?

Ever transit the Panama Canal on a cruise ship?

Medium to large cruise ships are currently paying between $125,000 and $150,000 for a ONE-WAY transit.

Did you ever notice those tug boats that follow your ship into and out of ports? In US Ports the current going rate is $19,000 per hour, per tug boat. Most US Ports require 2 tug boats as a safety precaution. Most tug boats charge a 2 hour minimum. Do the math. The Superbowl is quite a bargain by comparison.

Ever watch those union stevedores on the pier, trying to lose or destroy your suitcases before loading them on the ship? In the Port of Honolulu, the typical charge for unloading and loading suitcases on a cruise ship on a turnaround day is $40,000. I'll take the superbowl charges any day.

It seems that most of your post is very informative, but that does not justify over $100 a person in viewing fees. Go to Atlantic City or Las Vegas or any Sports bar on Super Bowl Sunday. There are literally millions that view the Superbowl from Satellite services across the country and world. And I know that these bars could not afford $100 or more per person.

Again, I could understand maybe $250 or even a near insane $2500 for rebroadcast permission. But $25,000? No. Not realistic. I think someone may have made a mistake here.

lol......ROTFLMAO!!!

Archived