Viking Air Plus Seat Upgrades

rbslos18

1 hour ago, greydog said:

Hi again, thanks - I feel having an advance reservation with locator code and seat assignment is preferred over facing fewer options/choices at 60-days from embarkation.  I understand the ticket is not issued until later within Viking contract process.

My current reserved itinerary is all Lufthansa to ATH, all BA return (because of limited choices of equipment with Prem-E seating).  I appreciate the reminder about potential terminal complications if mixing carriers.  I got Prem-E BA seat thru Air+  with no $ extra fee (but understand the ATH-LHR connection economy seat is not locked in. 

At LHR you can experience terminal changes, even when all flights are BA.

Pre-COVID, the designated BA terminal (T5) was already at capacity, so they had moved a number of long haul flights to T3. Our EDI flight arrived in T5, but the Vancouver flight departed T3. Always best to check, as it can takes some time to make the connection.

I am hoping that post-COVID with reduced flights, BA has moved everything back to T5.

What happens if during the Winter a flight to port is cancelled. I assume Viking Air+ takes care of it. What is the number to call if there is a problem? Is there an after-hours hotline?

RB

Edited by rbslos18

45 minutes ago, rbslos18 said:

What happens if during the Winter a flight to port is cancelled. I assume Viking Air+ takes care of it. What is the number to call if there is a problem? Is there an after-hours hotline?

RB

I hate to say it but you are pretty much on your own.  They make your reservations but if you miss a connection because of a delayed flight or a flight is canceled you will have to deal with the airline.  There is sometimes an “after hours” number listed in the ore-cruise paperwork they send but I’ve never gotten through!  Dealing with the air line directly is probably your best bet anyway.

38 minutes ago, molymoo said:

I hate to say it but you are pretty much on your own.  They make your reservations but if you miss a connection because of a delayed flight or a flight is canceled you will have to deal with the airline.  There is sometimes an “after hours” number listed in the ore-cruise paperwork they send but I’ve never gotten through!  Dealing with the air line directly is probably your best bet anyway.

That is not very reassuring!!!!

3 hours ago, rbslos18 said:

That is not very reassuring!!!!

You mean you actually believe the marketing blurbs from cruiselines about how you are cared for if there are any air issues?  Check the actual terms and conditions and compare with the weasel words of the marketing hype.

Check the thread you started for more.

11 minutes ago, FlyerTalker said:

You mean you actually believe the marketing blurbs from cruiselines about how you are cared for if there are any air issues?  Check the actual terms and conditions and compare with the weasel words of the marketing hype.

Check the thread you started for more.

Given the excellent reviews of Viking with people touting its excellent service onboard,  I was expecting top flight service in the event of a last minute delayed or cancelled flight. Perhaps I am being naive?!

Edited by rbslos18

We usually fly into the embarkation port a few days early, specifically to provide time to arrange options in the event of cancellations and/or delays.

Our first stop is with the airline, but will also give our TA a call, as she can contact the Viking Air desk. When we were stuck in Dubai at the end of the WC, the Viking Air Dept worked wonders arranging flights for everyone.

1 hour ago, Heidi13 said:

We usually fly into the embarkation port a few days early, specifically to provide time to arrange options in the event of cancellations and/or delays.

Our first stop is with the airline, but will also give our TA a call, as she can contact the Viking Air desk. When we were stuck in Dubai at the end of the WC, the Viking Air Dept worked wonders arranging flights for everyone.

Thanks. That is reassuring to hear. We normally go 1-2 days early. Due to work, we could only live a day before the cruise. So we basically have two days to get to Florida and depart in the morning.