Not getting a refund...any options?

My son booked his honeymoon Mediterranean cruise for May 2020.  Due to Covid he canceled the cruise a week before RCL canceled the sailing. He has been trying to get a refund for months. RCL is only offering a credit but the credit doesn’t cover the original cost of booked rooms and package. Prices have gone up I guess.  They are apprehensive to cruise and would really prefer to get a full refund. They aren’t getting anywhere with this.  The customer service rep said that because they canceled prior to the cruise line canceling, they aren’t entitled to a refund.

Does this sound right?  I understand that under normal circumstances that may be the case but there was a raging pandemic going on.  Can anyone suggest another avenue to peruse?  The rep told him that his only recourse was to transfer the credit and have someone pay him for the transfer.

Thanks in advance!  
On a happier note they are finally getting married after 3 canceled wedding dates🤗

Wish I had better news but that is the contract he agreed to when he booked.  He would have had the option of a price protected lift & shift moving his cruise a year later with his cruise fare remaining the same.  Many here, including myself, took advantage of this and he was probably eligible.  But if he cancelled outright, he is not entitled to get a refund, just a Future Cruise Credit.  A good travel agent could have assisted with this.  

Edited by poocher
  • Like 2

I think they should at least be refunded taxes and fees and costs for drink pkgs and excursions.   Where are you from?  Different rules in different countries.   Also any insurance?  Those might help.

Same thing happened to me.  I was ONE day cancelled before rcl cancelled!!! No refund. Had insurance but they of course won’t pay me because I have a credit. 
I picked a cruise for feb next year ( the furthest away LOL). 
hopefully, we will go if covid stays lower but the new variants and everyone opening so quickly has me concerned.

Sorry to say but I’ve really checked into this as I would rather a refund but it is credit only