Mediation between CDC and Florida Collapses

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Why is Alaska in jeopardy based on the FL lawsuit? I know the answer is probably super simple and I'm just being daft. 🙂

FLA lawsuit attempts to have CSO declared invalid

Some claim that the legislation recently passed to allow skipping Canada through next February requires the CSO to be in place.

Conclusion (false) is that if CSO is invalid, than legislation is invalid, and ships must again stop in Canada.

If that gives your (left) brain a headache, than join the party.  The CSO was always set to expire Nov 1, so it makes no sense that the legislation would become invalid.  Even if it did, the initial law passed unanimously in both houses and was quickly signed into law.  There is absolutely no reason to believe that a new law would sail through just as fast (if needed)>

This is really just the media making up stuff to try to get clicks/attention.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

thanks for the article. So, if I'm understanding this right, in order for Alaska cruise to be a go the judge needs to throw out the Florida lawsuit.

If the lawsuit drags forward, can't the 3 branches of government just pass Alaska Tourism Act Part 2  that has no mention of the CDC?

Also, can't NCL just up and say they aren't requiring 100% vaccination? I mean, that isn't optimal, but it is an option, correct?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

If the lawsuit drags forward, can't the 3 branches of government just pass Alaska Tourism Act Part 2  that has no mention of the CDC?

Exactly, but I don't think the lawsuit could have anything to do with Alaska sailings.

• Like 1

Just now, CaptainWoody said:

Exactly, but I don't think the lawsuit could have anything to do with Alaska sailings.

Sorry if I'm being a dumb blonde (I can say that because I'm blonde, and kinda dumb) 🙂

Do you mean that if the lawsuit continues, Alaska sailings would just go on as scheduled until such as a time as there is a ruling?

17 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

Sorry if I'm being a dumb blonde (I can say that because I'm blonde, and kinda dumb) 🙂

Do you mean that if the lawsuit continues, Alaska sailings would just go on as scheduled until such as a time as there is a ruling?

It’s also worth noting that despite the Alaska tourism act, Alaska is still penciling itself into Team DeSantis as of this week.

https://cbs12.com/news/local/talks-at-impasse-in-cruise-industry-fight

“Alaska also has requested approval to intervene in the case on Florida’s side, saying in a document filed Wednesday it wants to “protect its interests in the CDC’s constantly-morphing orders, restrictions and guidance which will apply to all large Alaska cruises in 2021.”

So they’re positioning themselves to flip to the no-vaccine stance depending on which way the wind blows.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, AdoraBelle said:

It’s also worth noting that despite the Alaska tourism act, Alaska is still penciling itself into Team DeSantis as of this week.

“Alaska also has requested approval to intervene in the case on Florida’s side, saying in a document filed Wednesday it wants to “protect its interests in the CDC’s constantly-morphing orders, restrictions and guidance which will apply to all large Alaska cruises in 2021.”

So they’re positioning themselves to flip to the no-vaccine stance depending on which way the wind blows.

Thank you for sharing this- I appreciate 🙂

3 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

No.  I mean that the Alaska sailings are between the CDC, the US congress and NCL and that they are going to go on as scheduled regardless.  It's just media (like that idiot with the youtube blog) who are pretending to be lawyers and telling us that FLA will prevail in that frivolous lawsuit and that will mean the cruise lines, the US congress, the CDC and us cruisers will all just give up on cruising.  It's simply ludicrous if anybody with eyes to see simply takes a step back and opens their eyes.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, AdoraBelle said:

Why would AK have anything to do with policing a vaccination requirement.  This would occur in Seattle prior to boarding.  Last time I checked, Seattle isn't part of the great state of AK.

This is just one more example of how readily the media insults our intelligence.  That said, since so many swallow it hook, line and sinker; perhaps the insult is at times valid.

Edited by CaptainWoody
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, CaptainWoody said:

Why would AK have anything to do with policing a vaccination requirement.  This would occur in Seattle prior to boarding.  Last time I checked, Seattle isn't part of the great state of AK.

This is just one more example of how readily the media insults our intelligence.  That said, since so many swallow it hook, line and sinker; perhaps the insult is at times valid.

Exactly. Seattle won't care about asking for vaccine status and since Alaska doesn't care who visits, should be smooth sailing for vaccinated sailings out of Seattle. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

It works on half the country.  And a lot of people on these boards.

• Like 7
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

The Alaska law, the way I understand it, was to get around a law that says cruises there must have one international port, which was always Canada.  Since Canada is closed, the law allows cruises from Seattle to Alaska and back.

1 hour ago, KennyFla said:

The Alaska law, the way I understand it, was to get around a law that says cruises there must have one international port, which was always Canada.  Since Canada is closed, the law allows cruises from Seattle to Alaska and back.

thank you- I understand the part about being able to bypass Canada. What is murky for me is the article stating that the CDC is claiming that if the Florida ruling is upheld then the Alaska restorative tourism act no longer applies. Apparently the tourism act specifically mentions the CSO, and if Florida ruling is upheld there will be no more CSO so by default Alaska sailings are shut down. It’s a bizarre twist. 

28 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

thank you- I understand the part about being able to bypass Canada. What is murky for me is the article stating that the CDC is claiming that if the Florida ruling is upheld then the Alaska restorative tourism act no longer applies. Apparently the tourism act specifically mentions the CSO, and if Florida ruling is upheld there will be no more CSO so by default Alaska sailings are shut down. It’s a bizarre twist. 

Even if that's true, like you said in a post earlier, it would be easy to fix.

Edited by KennyFla
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, KennyFla said:

Even if that's true, like you said in a post earlier, it would be easy to fix.

I think we are on the same page- there appears to be confusion because in the post you quoted (#33) I was  responding to Woody and asking him for clarification of a post he made earlier (-#28 and #32). 

In the meantime- celebrity Millennium is currently picking up guests in St Maartin for their first Caribbean sailing. So we are making progress.

93D1E9D8-64EC-4AC9-9FBF-FEE5EFAE10C1.jpeg

17 hours ago, CaptainWoody said:

That exemption bill flew through uncontested.  If there's some glitch due to wording, they can just sail another one through to fix it.  Alaska cruising is happening this fall.  I guarantee it.

Disagree.  The CSO was included in the legislation in order to smooth its passage by both parties. It was highly unlikely that any exemption to the PVSA that did not require compliance with federal law would have been uncontested. If an amendment is required because injunctive relief is granted, the legislation will be dead in the water.  Not to worry though. The judge has scheduled a hearing on a brief by the CDC arguing ratification of the CSO under the Alaska legislation, which will effectively be a motion to dismiss Florida’s suit. My prediction is Florida’s injunctive relief is denied and the case languishes in trial or is dismissed as moot. Meanwhile sailing resumes. 

• Like 3

7 hours ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

I think we are on the same page- there appears to be confusion because in the post you quoted (#33) I was  responding to Woody and asking him for clarification of a post he made earlier (-#28 and #32). 

In the meantime- celebrity Millennium is currently picking up guests in St Maartin for their first Caribbean sailing. So we are making progress.

93D1E9D8-64EC-4AC9-9FBF-FEE5EFAE10C1.jpeg

It is definitely exciting to see Celebrity moving ahead. And on kind of a sidenote, you are many things, but you are definitely not dumb! I think you’re one of the best informed people on here. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/4/2021 at 10:46 AM, Laszlo said:

It should have been Binding.... 

mediation is only binding when an agreement is reached and signed off on. Otherwise the parties are free to sit there and ignore each other until the clock runs out.

• Like 1

On 6/5/2021 at 9:37 AM, harkinmr said:

Disagree.  The CSO was included in the legislation in order to smooth its passage by both parties. It was highly unlikely that any exemption to the PVSA that did not require compliance with federal law would have been uncontested. If an amendment is required because injunctive relief is granted, the legislation will be dead in the water.  Not to worry though. The judge has scheduled a hearing on a brief by the CDC arguing ratification of the CSO under the Alaska legislation, which will effectively be a motion to dismiss Florida’s suit. My prediction is Florida’s injunctive relief is denied and the case languishes in trial or is dismissed as moot. Meanwhile sailing resumes. 

I agree 💯