Didn't take long

2 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

Unless they're false positives.

I assume the odds that they are both false positives are long also.  Maybe they both received the less effective J&J vaccine, or came down with one of the newer variants.  

• Like 6

1 minute ago, cruiserchuck said:

I assume the odds that they are both false positives are long also.  Maybe they both received the less effective J&J vaccine, or came down with one of the newer variants.  

No variant is more contagious than any other.  

When you mass test people like the cruise lines will do, the odds of false positives on the ship are very high.

• Like 7

43 minutes ago, thadlo said:

Very unusual.  Both in the same cabin. Were they really vaccinated? Would be interesting to find out. Why were they tested? If they were asymptomatic what would be the impetus behind testing in the first place? Makes me think there is more to this story AND that starting with the next sailing they will be testing all vaccinated passengers at the port. 

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 8

We've been on cruises before where a norovirus breaks out and that causes a lot of rukus as well.  I think we will always have some risk when we're sailing because of the confined quarters and people coming from so many places.

Tom

• Like 8

I will be curious, as I’m sure we all are, for more details.  Which vaccine?  Confirmed to be vaccinated? Contact with someone before the cruise or caught onboard?  Does the vaccine do as expected, and prevent them from getting severe cases? ( so far asymptomatic but do they continue to feel well).  Is it just the two of them, or did others on the cruise contract it as well?  Lots of questions, that I hope the answers help the cruise lines fine tune protocols to everyone’s benefit

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

51 minutes ago, smokeybandit said:

No variant is more contagious than any other.  

When you mass test people like the cruise lines will do, the odds of false positives on the ship are very high.

Very true, with probability of 1% in the latest data I can find for the PCR tests.  If you're testing 2000 people that's an expected value of 20 positive tests.

Hopefully folks don't report initial positive tests but rather cases after multiple tests have been run as confirmation. Curious about what kind of cycle threshold they're using while they're testing. In theory even if the virus enters your body and the immune system responds from a prepared vaccine state you could still end up with enough detectable vital fragments. Will have to go look for some literature on that. 

• Like 1

Update from someone on the ship on the Celebrity board. Everyone tested to renter the US as required. That is why the two passengers were tested even while being asymptomatic. Still does not explain how two supposedly vaccinated people in the same cabin tested positive. One maybe, but two?  Very rare indeed. My guess is they may not have been vaccinated in reality. If they lied and faked their proof, make an example of them.  This is going to put pressure on the cruise lines to verify vaccination records. 

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

54 minutes ago, Goodtime Cruizin said:

Well if you need proof, look no further than all of Royal's unvaccinated cruises that didn't ruin anything. There's plenty of them 

And those cruises were not anything close to normal (or fun). Cruises to nowhere, masking up in majority of spaces, tracking wristbands, limited amenities, etc. I would rather spend my money on the plenty of successful cruises that will be fully vaccinated and have little to no restrictions on fun.

• Like 3

Sad the headline is incorrect in saying "Two guests onboard a Royal Caribbean Cruise" instead of "Two guests onboard a CELEBRITY Cruise". I know Celebrity is part of RCG - Royal Caribbean Group but it's not a Royal Caribbean cruise. 

Edited by suzyluvs2cruise
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, coldflame said:

It wasn't a regular revenue cruise.

https://www.cruisecritic.com/ab/agents/variation-b/news/6174/

It's a regular revenue cruise, and it's the first one with a homeport in the Caribbean. Test cruises will only be coming out of US homeports per the CDC's CSO. The same ship will have its second Caribbean itinerary in two days.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

Update from someone on the ship on the Celebrity board. Everyone tested to renter the US as required. That is why the two passengers were tested even while being asymptomatic. Still does not explain how two supposedly vaccinated people in the same cabin tested positive. One maybe, but two?  Very rare indeed. My guess is they may not have been vaccinated in reality. If they lied and faked their proof, make an example of them.  This is going to put pressure on the cruise lines to verify vaccination records. 

I doubt we will ever know any more details about this than we do now. Were they really vaccinated? Was it 2 breakthrough cases? 2 False positives? We will never really know.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, jrapps said:

I doubt we will ever know any more details about this than we do now. Were they really vaccinated? Was it 2 breakthrough cases? 2 False positives? We will never really know.

I think we may know if they were false positives fairly quickly. In fact it should be by now. Two breakthrough cases in the same family group? Hmm.  Not likely. The media is all over this. Several news groups/reporters are actually on board. This will NOT stay quiet.  

Edited by harkinmr
  • Like 2

48 minutes ago, tserface said:

We've been on cruises before where a norovirus breaks out and that causes a lot of rukus as well.  I think we will always have some risk when we're sailing because of the confined quarters and people coming from so many places.

Tom

But norovirus spreads so easily. Air, fluids, surface, you name it. You don't get statements from cruise lines when 2 people have norovirus.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, harkinmr said:

I think we may know if they were false positives fairly quickly. In fact it should be by now. Two breakthrough cases in the same family group? Hmm.  Not likely. The media is all over this. Several news groups/reporters are actually on board. This will NOT stay quiet.  

I actually think 2 cases in one family makes a lot of sense...just posted this in another thread.

The vaccine doesn't prevent you from getting Covid...we aren't immune. It can significantly reduce the chances of catching it, and significantly reduce your viral load making it harder for you to pass it to someone else.

If a vaccinated person manages to contract it, I can see them quite easily re-transmitting it to a spouse in close or intimate contact, but doubtful they would infect someone passing by in a hallway or restaurant.

• Like 8

1 minute ago, jrapps said:

If a vaccinated person manages to contract it, I can see them quite easily re-transmitting it to a spouse in close or intimate contact, but doubtful they would infect someone passing by in a hallway or restaurant.

I don't believe there are any documented cases of a breakthrough case spreading it to someone else.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, smokeybandit said:

I don't believe there are any documented cases of a breakthrough case spreading it to someone else.

Really? Interesting. Then perhaps they both caught it at the same time from someone else. Isn't' that what happened with the NY Yankees? They had like 7 breakthrough cases among players. Why is it hard to believe 2 members of the same family can catch it the same way.

If this turns out to be falsified covid cards, that will really cause issues for future cruises to have this happen so quickly.

I'm not jumping to that conclusion, just thinking out loud.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, jrapps said:

Really? Interesting. Then perhaps they both caught it at the same time from someone else. Isn't' that what happened with the NY Yankees? They had like 7 breakthrough cases among players. Why is it hard to believe 2 members of the same family can catch it the same way.

If this turns out to be falsified covid cards, that will really cause issues for future cruises to have this happen so quickly.

I'm not jumping to that conclusion, just thinking out loud.

If these are true positives, then that's the only answer that makes any sense.  

One concern raised in the UK was that the tests were so sensitive that vaccinated people were testing positive due to viral load in their nose from a recent exposure, but it never actually got bad enough to truly infect them.