Alaska pre and post cruise land tour recommendations for 2022

CruzinFeraBruzin

We are considering a cruise to Alaska aboard the Muse in early to mid June 2022.  For those who have taken the pre/post land tours Silversea offers to Denali and the Canadian Rockies, are you glad you added them on to the cruise or do you regret it?  This will be our first visit to Alaska and we are trying to make the most of our time and see as much as possible.  Thanks.

Edited by CruzinFeraBruzin

• CruzinFeraBruzin changed the title to Alaska pre and post cruise land tour recommendations for 2022

Not familiar with the SS land tour options, but we liked going to on Kodiak, Dutch Harbor and Sitka Island a lot, which would have to be privately arranged if you want to add more time to your first Alaska visit.  These areas combine both scenic grandeur, as well as getting to know what daily life is like living in this more remote part of the world.  

You may find like many others, while this may be your first trip to Alaska, it may not your last trip to Alaska. We enjoy going back again and again. It is nice to feel small in comparison to so much natural magnificence - a change of pace to life in the lower 48.

Can't think of any "bad" decisions about your final choice, no matter which one you pick. In fact we also learned there is no "bad" time of the year to visit - each month has its surprising charms including the dead of winter. There is a fresh crispness to the air in Alaska that stays in your soul.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My recommendation would be that it you have extra time for your Alaska trip, spend it in Alaska. There's so much to see in Alaska that I would maximize your opportunities to see and do more before or after your cruise. The Canadian Rockies are magnificent, but I wouldn't do that as part of your Alaska trip unless you feel you won't come back to this part of the world in future travels.

I don't know why Seabourn only does Vancouver roundtrips or one-way trips between Vancouver and Juneau; if they offered one-way trips between Vancouver and Anchorage, it would make it easier to tack on additional sightseeing in Alaska. We rented a car and traveled on our own for a week after our Alaska cruise (which was on Regent), so I can't comment on the specifics of Seabourn's add-on offerings.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, cruiseej said:

My recommendation would be that it you have extra time for your Alaska trip, spend it in Alaska. There's so much to see in Alaska that I would maximize your opportunities to see and do more before or after your cruise. The Canadian Rockies are magnificent, but I wouldn't do that as part of your Alaska trip unless you feel you won't come back to this part of the world in future travels.

I don't know why Seabourn only does Vancouver roundtrips or one-way trips between Vancouver and Juneau; if they offered one-way trips between Vancouver and Anchorage, it would make it easier to tack on additional sightseeing in Alaska. We rented a car and traveled on our own for a week after our Alaska cruise (which was on Regent), so I can't comment on the specifics of Seabourn's add-on offerings.

I agree with your comment cruiseej that the land tour to the Canadian Rockies are a trip in and of itself and probably should be saved for a future vacation.  Silversea's land tours in Alaska start in Anchorage, offering five different itineraries to venture inward.   Looking for feedback from anyone who has taken these Silversea land tours that are pre or post cruise.

Hi, I am not sure if it was a SS tour but I know one of the most traveled people posts on here........

His name is Terry and he has been to Alaska with SS and took some beautiful photos.......with a tour company too......if you are interested? Maybe he can post a link to that trip for you.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Thanks so much Lois R.  I just found the link from TLCOhio where he did the full Alaska Trip on the Muse a few years ago.  Will check it out.

Appreciate Lois' great comments and kind follow-up.  Glad that CruzinFeraBruzin found the link.  it is also shown below, plus a few visuals to help build excitement for this amazing adventure and the many options to consider.  

Our sailing trip was Vancouver to Alaska on the excellent Silver Muse.  Yes, we did the add-on, post-cruise excursion through Silversea for five days, including two nights at Denali. Super wonderful!!!  Not cheap, but much easier in having SS handle "it" all and for me to not worry on the "logistics", etc.  

Before starting our cruise, it was triple, "Hat-Trick" series of world-class adventures.  This included starting in Calgary, exploring Jasper/Banff National Parks, riding for two days in western Canada during the Rocky Mountaineer rail  trip through the Canada mountains and then finishing with three days in Vancouver.  As long as we were going to be doing these areas, we viewed it as best to MAXIMIZE our travel and total experiences.

Need more?  Questions?

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Completed 2019 summer with Calgary, Jasper/Banff National Parks, Western Canada Rocky Mountaineer rail adventure, Vancouver, sailing up to Alaska on Silver Muse, post-cruise excursion to Denali, etc.  Many visuals and details from our first in these scenic areas!  Live/blog: 

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2682584-live-terryohio-silver-muse-alaska-canadarockies-pix’s/

At Juneau, flying over the various glaciers was thrilling and amazing.:

(Open your screen/viewer wider to see this visuals larger/better!)

CMB_4600.thumb.jpeg.15a96ee34492d66e0bbcb7680935dafd.jpeg

CMB_4639.thumb.jpeg.8a59327c02ff4da45c1b1aa2cd0d5436.jpeg

At Sitka, our private charter boat got us nicely close to these feather friends, plus whales, etc.:

CMB_5400.thumb.jpeg.09249f44539bff6e7a5bc25d8a5c21c0.jpeg

CMB_5629.thumb.jpeg.790a9308cb1c96b0dee7ed759866dff2.jpeg

On the way up to Denali, this is one sample of the rail trip view, plus one example of the wildlife on the way back from that famed Alaska national park  Like?.:

CMB_6050.thumb.jpeg.a58e079762d2a76acf7b4c1d177fd346.jpeg

CMB_6765.thumb.jpeg.7458adf6c212360faf6959e5c3b680fa.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks Terry for providing this to all of us on this forum.  Lois R was right - you've provided so much beneficial detail.  Today was supposed to be the first day of our Galapagos cruise on the Origin, but alas, it was cancelled and next Saturday will be the official maiden voyage.  We took our FCC and applied it to the 2022 Grand Med. Voyage.  Alaska will follow.  If we decide to add Canada to the voyage, this will push it to 2023, but that's ok.  Thanks again.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, CruzinFeraBruzin said:

Thanks Terry for providing this to all of us on this forum.  Lois R was right - you've provided so much beneficial detail.  Today was supposed to be the first day of our Galapagos cruise on the Origin, but alas, it was cancelled and next Saturday will be the official maiden voyage.  We took our FCC and applied it to the 2022 Grand Med. Voyage.  Alaska will follow.  If we decide to add Canada to the voyage, this will push it to 2023, but that's ok.  Thanks again.

Appreciate our Texas' neighbor's kind comments and follow-up.  Yes, know the location of New Braunfels, north of San Antonio.  Have good friends who live and work nearby in the Pleasanton-Jourdanton towns.  

We had booked and planned to do the Galapagos cruise on the Silver Origin in February, 2021, but Covid came up and that adventure has had to be pushed back to a later day.  

Keep researching and planning for your upcoming Alaska exploring.  Many, many excellent options to consider.  Prepare accordingly as you have limited time and must match up your priorities correctly to your personal preference.  Don't be shy with any and all questions.  Post on my live/blog any info needs and I am most likely to catch it there and be able to respond promptly.  

THANKS!  Enjoy!  Terry in Ohio

Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise from Copenhagen, July 2010, to the top of Europe. Scenic visuals with key tips. Live/blog at 242,026 views.

www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

• Thanks 1