New spa program at Silversea

Dolcevita Diva

I can certainly wait.  It sounds like a new "enhancement" to increase onboard revenue.  As I read it, if one buys into the program one will enjoy a program with perks that "permeate every moment of the cruise with multiple touches" including surprises at the pool.  So some people (who have bought in) will enjoy surprises at the pool, while other guests will be left out?  Is Silversea moving toward a caste/class system?  The fact that all guests are currently equal after leaving their suites is a virtue of Silversea.  This sounds distinctly regressive and revenue-driven.  Disappointing. 

• Like 2

Dolcevita Diva, I like your handle!

Thanks for posting the info.  Observer, I don’t see that it’s any different than hotels that quote room rates that include a spa package and enhancements.  It’s there for those who enjoy that sort of thing…not everyone does.  Quite frankly, I’ve never received a great spa service at sea so my interest in this could be limited but I do think it shows how actively SS is pursuing the luxury niche.  It seems like good news to me.

There aren’t many details related to price.  Is this an add-on purchased for the entire cruise or can it be purchased by the day?  Could be perfect for sea days otherwise on a typical cruise there usually isn’t all that much time for the spa.   

Edited by Gourmet Gal
Add-on

Gourmet Gal, I like your handle too!

I view this as a positive too, because like you I have never had a great spa experience on a cruise. My read is that they are trying to create more of an experience around your spa appointment, just as many resorts add special touches to their spa sessions.   Observer is also correct that of course they're looking to enhance revenue by filling more appointments or generating more revenue per appointment - but at least they're adding some special touches.  Nothing in this description sounds like they're creating a separate class system to me.    

I recall there was a rather detailed survey sent to recent passengers about two years ago that asked for opinions about what kind of health-oriented shipboard program would be of interest to a Silversea customer.  This must have been in the works for some time.

32 minutes ago, Dolcevita Diva said:

Nothing in this description sounds like they're creating a separate class system to me

I guess it depends on what "surprises at the pool" will be. If they bring around a smoothie to people in the program, I won't care. If they hold desirable deck chairs for paying spa guests, I will. 😉

But do we yet know if this program is or isn’t a paid add-on to your cruise booking or just the day of your spa service?  There is mention of special bedding in your suite so is that a full-ship enhancement or just to a certain number of suites?  Does anyone who is booked on the Dawn know any details yet?  The announcement seems a little vague.

There's a lot that's confusing with the soothing marketing talk absent the details. For instance, "And then there’s a completely redesigned sleeping experience: guests spend in bed more than a third of their time on board so it made sense to develop a brand-new mattress – the Otium Soft Touch – which will accompany our redesigned pillow menu, a selection of blankets and our pillow mists."

So does that mean if you sign up for a cruise-long spa experience, you will get an upgraded mattress installed in your suite?

I imagine that this is a lot of marketing hype to promote a new revenue stream and to increase charges to use space attached to the spa.

On the Muse-class ships, a Thermal Suite is on the aft deck behind the spa treatment rooms.  There is a significant upcharge to use the sauna/steam/jacuzzi/heated tile beds associated with the area.  It was more than $100 pp for a not terribly long cruise.  Access is not included in spa treatments.  But access (at least on Spirit) was not closely monitored and people simply wandered in without being challenged.  (It wasn't difficult.  One simply said one was visiting the included steam room and went on to the luxury steam room in the Thermal Suite.)  There are also lounge chairs beside the jacuzzi outside to enjoy the ship's wake.

I assume they are renaming the Thermal Suite as Otium (fancier name=fancier upcharge) and perhaps adding food/cocktail service and more space (perhaps reducing the huge number of treatment rooms.) 

For those who know/have used the Thermal Suite, this seems to be marketing gone wild:  some enhancements are announced as a revolution.

I wonder if this revolution means the end of the Steiner/Timetospa association with Silversea.

Edited by Observer

25 minutes ago, Gourmet Gal said:

Apparently the Thermal Suite will be complementary on The Moon so then I would think so on Dawn. 

Interesting.  May I ask where this was reported?  If it's complementary on Moon, I would assume it would be retroactively on Spirit and Muse.  

Could it be that it is complementary on the summer Greek cruises where they will probably have fewer passengers and are offering free excursions, &c, to entice people to sign up.

I don't at all like the charge for the Thermal Suite.  But I don't see how they could make it complementary.  Demand would be huge and it would be impossibly crowded.  (That has been the case IME when facility-crashers wandered in when there was a charge.)

The aft outdoor area is particularly nice:  Think of the area on the deck outside of Panorama, but with a jacuzzi and deck chairs -- all in much sought-after shade. 

Edited by Observer

It’s on the “official“ Cruise Critic review for the Moon.  I checked My Silversea for my Moon cruise and there is no option for booking the thermal suite in the activity section.  Is that where it  would normally  be?

Other spaces onboard include the Zagara Spa, which offers a complementary thermal suite, complete with a thalassotherapy pool and private sun deck.

Edited by Gourmet Gal
Add-on.

1 hour ago, Gourmet Gal said:

It’s on the “official“ Cruise Critic review for the Moon.  I checked My Silversea for my Moon cruise and there is no option for booking the thermal suite in the activity section.  Is that where it  would normally  be?

Other spaces onboard include the Zagara Spa, which offers a complementary thermal suite, complete with a thalassotherapy pool and private sun deck.

Thank you.  I do not put much credence in this Cruise Critic assertion. But I am grateful to have the source.

IME, one has never been able to book access to the Thermal Suite online.  One must do so by going to the spa Reception Desk.  I think that initially they sell only "passes" (one gets no physical pass, though requiring paying guests to wear a bracelet would make sense to help avoid intruders!) for the entire cruise.  If the uptake on cruise-long purchases is not great, they will sell day passes for use that day. 

They do limit the number of "passes" that they sell, so if you really want to buy legitimate access to this area (and are not inclined to try to sneak in to freeload 🙂), you should probably go to spa Reception on embarkation day.   

Edited by Observer
  • Like 1