Renting a Car in St. Maarten

PokerFaceNJ

Hi all..

We are cruising on the Celebrity Summit during the week of July 17th.  We are flying in the same day of the cruise on a flight that was prearranged through Celebrity.  Seems we can have 4-5 hours to ourselves to explore the island a bit as we have never been here before.  Our biggest obstacle is our luggage.  Since we do not have the option to board the ship, then come back off...we need to come up with a different plan.  After exploring some ideas, I thought of just renting a car for four hours.  Seems I can get a car from Sixt for about $32 total for the day.  That would be cheaper than using taxis or hiring a car service.  Since we have never been to the island, would love to hear your thoughts about this.  

The only problem i can see would be theft. The recommendation in St Martin is to never leave valuables in the car, and leave it unlocked so windows won’t get broken for thieves to check for valuables. I’d only do this if you could 1. See the car at all times from where you are or 2. Find a locker or storage facility to leave luggage. Maybe the rental agency has facilities?

I rented a car on this island in 2002 GREAT day easy driving island is beautiful and quiet. Car rental right outside the gate on the left. Can't miss it, I rented a car my girlfriend drove we went all over the island. I drank she drove, 2002 Thanksgiving all day rental $50(US) +something else just under $55(US) total. 

I highly recommend it. Totally safe I felt right at home especially with dingbat driving. Have fun. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I would also speak out against renting a car to drive around the island with your luggage unless you plan to NEVER leave the car.

Get close to the pier, with you luggage, and sit and enjoy until you can board.

gary

• 2 weeks later...

If you decide to go ahead, I used Rodeal (maybe Rodael) a few years ago. Not sure if they’re still around.

i haven’t used Sixt myself but when I was researching for my trip, I didn’t see a lot of positive comments about them. However things may have changed.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 6/21/2021 at 3:28 PM, PokerFaceNJ said:

Hi all..

We are cruising on the Celebrity Summit during the week of July 17th.  We are flying in the same day of the cruise on a flight that was prearranged through Celebrity.  Seems we can have 4-5 hours to ourselves to explore the island a bit as we have never been here before.  Our biggest obstacle is our luggage.  Since we do not have the option to board the ship, then come back off...we need to come up with a different plan.  After exploring some ideas, I thought of just renting a car for four hours.  Seems I can get a car from Sixt for about $32 total for the day.  That would be cheaper than using taxis or hiring a car service.  Since we have never been to the island, would love to hear your thoughts about this.  

We hope to be in Sint Maarten in November.  Did your ship sail and did you get to rent a car?