LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

Looks like a beautiful day in Isafjordur!....... for those who went to Vigur Island, any puffin sightings? also was duty free open in Keflavik when the Saturday arrivals came in?  Thanks again to all for the great information being posted....sooo looking forward to our upcoming cruise!

2 hours ago, Crockett&Darla said:

That's interesting. On our 6/15 Bermuda cruise, our contact tracing devices were square, and about 1/3 the size. While speaking to the shore-ex coordinator on board, he said the devices communicated with routers installed all over the ship. BTW, prior to cruising we bought retractable lanyards, the kind that either clip to your belt loop or slide over or clothing. We put our cabin card in the clear holder, then added the tracing device to it too. You can also stick your DL in the holder too. We needed a picture ID to reboard the ship. Everything thing is in one spot and secure. 

Please, someone/anyone explain the purpose of the tracking device.  Why do I need to be tracked while cruising?  This will be my first Viking cruise and I have never been required to carry a tracking device on any other cruise line.  Is Big Brother Watching Me?  If so, why?

3 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Please, someone/anyone explain the purpose of the tracking device.  Why do I need to be tracked while cruising?  This will be my first Viking cruise and I have never been required to carry a tracking device on any other cruise line.  Is Big Brother Watching Me?  If so, why?

So that if someone tests positive, they can quarantine anyone who was near that person.

• Like 1

Just now, Snit13 said:

It is part of Viking’s Covid procedures. Presuming it works like the NC Covid contact tracing app I have on my phone, The device doesn’t really “track” you.

It records when you’ve been in close contact with someone else who is also wearing a device. Should you or they test positive for COVID-19, then they will read the device of the positive person, and be able to identify others who might have been exposed. Presumably they will then do extra testing to make sure the exposed person isn’t positive also. 

• Like 2

Did anyone on the current cruise go on the "Iceland on Horseback" shorex in Reykjavik -- or hear feedback from anyone who did?  Wondering if the riding center accommodates all levels - beginner as well as advanced riders.  

1 hour ago, Snit13 said:

Please read the Covid19 Policies & Procedures as well as the Privacy Policy (which I bet no one EVER reads) on the vikingcruises.com website.  It outlines everything which you can/cannot do,  must agree to do, as well as potential consequences for non compliance.  The Privacy Policy outlines what is done with information collected.  

3 hours ago, flaladyB said:

Looks like a beautiful day in Isafjordur!....... for those who went to Vigur Island, any puffin sightings? also was duty free open in Keflavik when the Saturday arrivals came in?  Thanks again to all for the great information being posted....sooo looking forward to our upcoming cruise!

Yes yes yes!  Puffins everywhere on the spectacular Vigur island excursion this warm sunny morning. 

E59EB4E4-0057-49FC-9A3E-9B5C1DD95EF8.jpeg

1827CF3B-3A89-4AB0-9BFD-DA0C5B50AA55.jpeg

• Like 18
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, SantaFe1 said:

Yes yes yes!  Puffins everywhere on the spectacular Vigur island excursion this warm sunny morning. 

Spectacular!  Lots of people will be so happy.  Warm?  All reports is that the temps were maybe 10 or 12 C.  That is in the 50's.  Warm because it was sunny?  Also showed no wind to speak of.  Just trying to gauge weather "reports" with actual experience. LOL on the port webcam I saw a family at that little red building on the far side from ship.  Family with kids had shorts and T shirts on kids.  Just figured they were Icelanders so...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TayanaLorna said:

Please read the Covid19 Policies & Procedures as well as the Privacy Policy (which I bet no one EVER reads) on the vikingcruises.com website.  It outlines everything which you can/cannot do,  must agree to do, as well as potential consequences for non compliance.  The Privacy Policy outlines what is done with information collected.  

I read them a month ago but forgot what I read.  Sorry

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, TayanaLorna said:

Spectacular!  Lots of people will be so happy.  Warm?  All reports is that the temps were maybe 10 or 12 C.  That is in the 50's.  Warm because it was sunny?  Also showed no wind to speak of.  Just trying to gauge weather "reports" with actual experience. LOL on the port webcam I saw a family at that little red building on the far side from ship.  Family with kids had shorts and T shirts on kids.  Just figured they were Icelanders so...

In the 50s this morning.   It sunny.  NO WIND. Just lovely.  This afternoon on the included tour it was positively hot.  People were peeling off layers and begging the bus driver to turn on the AC, which of course they don’t have.  Tomorrow is reported to be a high of 75.  Have no idea what to wear.   But we have been blessed.  No real rain. No wind.  Plenty of sun today.  

• Like 6

19 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

OOh great. We are doing the Vigur Island tour next week and have our binoculars and Merlin app ready!!!

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

In the 50s this morning.   It sunny.  NO WIND. Just lovely.  This afternoon on the included tour it was positively hot.  People were peeling off layers and begging the bus driver to turn on the AC, which of course they don’t have.  Tomorrow is reported to be a high of 75.  Have no idea what to wear.   But we have been blessed.  No real rain. No wind.  Plenty of sun today.  

Uh oh ….time to repack🙁

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, librarylady19 said:

OOh great. We are doing the Vigur Island tour next week and have our binoculars and Merlin app ready!!!

I took binocs but really never used them.  The birds are all quite close.  You walk through an Arctic tern nesting area and have to carry a stick above year head, as the dive bomb the highest thing.  It really was fun!

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

How did you think the included tour was?  I read some people did not like it. 

Just now, StuLaurie said:

How did you think the included tour was?  I read some people did not like it. 

We didn’t like it.  It went to a nice waterfall,  but spent way too much time there.  The rest was pretty boring, driving through the two villages, with a stop to learn about fishing in Iceland.  And our guide was poor. ; a good guide can make even a boring excursion fun.  

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

We didn’t like it.  It went to a nice waterfall,  but spent way too much time there.  The rest was pretty boring, driving through the two villages, with a stop to learn about fishing in Iceland.  And our guide was poor. ; a good guide can make even a boring excursion fun.  

That’s too bad, yes a good guide can really make all the difference.  Hopefully seeing Puffins made up for it!

8 minutes ago, SantaFe1 said:

There appeared to be a group coming off a small boat at one point.  Were there tour companies on the pier offering other options?  We have only booked the included and given we don’t know for sure that Viking won’t reinstate the bubble I hesitate to book something independently in advance. 

• Like 2