LIVE from "Iceland's Natural Beauty" -- All Sailings, 2021

Peregrina651

For all those who have already done it, I was able to finally get my VeriFLY  done after several attempts but how does the information get to Viking they have not said anything yet about it.

Edited by BarbRN

Returned from Ice Lagoon tour about an hour ago. Viking takes you to the smaller of the two lagoons and in my opinion it is the prettiest. Our guide was knowledgeable and friendly. We had blue skies throughout the zodiac ride. High clouds moved in when we went to lunch. We had a tomato based soup and Icelandic cod with potatoes and coleslaw. We noticed several passengers roll their eyes when they were served the fish. Yes, on our three tours that included lunch we were served fish (salmon, ocean catfish, and today’s cod). But remember, we’re in Iceland!   All of the fish was super fresh and prepared properly. It bothered me to hear people grumpy about their lunches. 
Warning:  the bus trip to the lagoon was long, but the scenery was stellar. 

• Like 10
  • Thanks 2

35 minutes ago, Australia08 said:

Returned from Ice Lagoon tour about an hour ago. Viking takes you to the smaller of the two lagoons and in my opinion it is the prettiest. Our guide was knowledgeable and friendly. We had blue skies throughout the zodiac ride. High clouds moved in when we went to lunch. We had a tomato based soup and Icelandic cod with potatoes and coleslaw. We noticed several passengers roll their eyes when they were served the fish. Yes, on our three tours that included lunch we were served fish (salmon, ocean catfish, and today’s cod). But remember, we’re in Iceland!   All of the fish was super fresh and prepared properly. It bothered me to hear people grumpy about their lunches. 

It's sad that we pay thousands of $$$ to learn about other cultures, but shun some of the most important tools to learn. It's embarrassing to be in the presence of those who can't or won't appreciate local customs.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BarbRN said:

For all those who have already done it, I was able to finally get my VeriFLY  done after several attempts but how does the information get to Viking they have not said anything yet about it.

Just like it does with American Airlines, VeriFLY has a contract to link the data to Viking.

It’s “automagically” transferred.

Tom 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Australia08 said:

Thank you so much for the info! We are going on this excursion. How cold was it? My husband doesn't eat fish unless it's lobster, scallops or clams, preferably fried, but he is going to on this trip!! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Tom.in.nc said:

Just like it does with American Airlines, VeriFLY has a contract to link the data to Viking.

It’s “automagically” transferred.

Tom 

Tom thank you I didn’t know that so my airline will know I’m good to go also.Tom thank you I didn’t know that so my airline will know I’m good to go also.

Just now, BarbRN said:

Tom thank you I didn’t know that so my airline will know I’m good to go also.Tom thank you I didn’t know that so my airline will know I’m good to go also.

No, not necessarily.  A Trip With Viking only informs Viking. American Airlines only gets informed if you submit a Trip to A Country.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, sinsonte said:

To those of you currently cruising or having recently cruised in Iceland, have you been able to get off the ship on your own after the covid case on Viking Sky?

Jul sailing

Edited by philw1776
mistake

6 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Are you flying out of Tampa?  We depart Tampa August 30 on Delta at 12:50 pm.  (Delta keeps changing time).  Wondering how to get the required test within the 72 hour time frame.  Manatee County will send results to phone but I don't believe they are open Saturdays.  I will have to call CVS and Walgreens to see if they do the testing.  Normally go to Quest Diagnostics but I am almost certain they are not open Saturday.

No we are flying out of Buffalo to Boston to catch our Flight on 8/30/21. Originally thought the test had to be PCR but have read they will accept the rapid test which is quicker and cheaper. Also they have an approved home test ALLUME which is monitored on line and cost $30 @ cvs. Are you in Manatee county?.That where we're from.

6 hours ago, Snit13 said:

Are you flying out of Tampa?  We depart Tampa August 30 on Delta at 12:50 pm.  (Delta keeps changing time).  Wondering how to get the required test within the 72 hour time frame.  Manatee County will send results to phone but I don't believe they are open Saturdays.  I will have to call CVS and Walgreens to see if they do the testing.  Normally go to Quest Diagnostics but I am almost certain they are not open Saturday.

I'm not in Florida, but I found that Quest had good options for PCR testing, any day, not far away, with 1-2 day turnaround. 

Edited by IWantToLiveOverTheSea

Question for those in Heimaey or have been there: About how long is the tender ride, once the tender has all its passengers and leaves?  The Heimaey port website says it's usually a 2.5 nautical mile trip from where ships anchor, but I have no idea what that might translate to in terms of time.

Thanks. .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sinsonte said:

To those of you currently cruising or having recently cruised in Iceland, have you been able to get off the ship on your own after the covid case on Viking Sky?

We had a positive case on Jupiter July 13 sailing.  We missed one port (Akureyri)  after a mis-communication with the Icelandic autorities.  We were able to go ashore for all the rest of the ports on our own.  I think that the original Sky sailing that had the positive case never were allowed off the ship until they got to Reykjavik but not right away in Reykjavik either.  We, being the second sailing with a positive case, probably benefitted from all of the negociations and protocol checking that the Sky went through.  We were about 3 days behind them.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, NeilP57 said:

Linda

This is very helpful in that it originates from Viking. 

Can you point me in the correct direction on the website where I can find this document because the requirement for a PCR test rather than an antigen test (Lateral Flow) does not match what has been said by the Icelandic Authorities.

I would like to query this with Viking in the UK but it would be good to know where on the website I can find that document.

The following quote is a straight copy from the Iceland.is site

https://island.is/en/p/entry

NOTE: From 27 July 2021 vaccinated passengers (and those with a prior infection) born in 2004 or earlier, must present a negative PCR or antigen test (not older than 72 hours) prior to boarding a vessel to Iceland.

I called Viking this afternoon and they told me it had to be the PCR test not antigen test.  Wonder who knows the correct answer.

11 hours ago, DAVE & PAT said:

With the new positive PCR test requirement the 72 hour requirement is going to be tight for us. We have a Saturday and Sunday  prior to our flight and hope to avoid the $250 test at the airport.  I was told the rapid test does not qualify and must be the PCR. Once the results are sent by email will the airline officials look at our phones for proof or must it be printed out.

Walgreens and Viking told me this afternoon that it had to be the PCR and both told me to get it Friday morning before my Monday flight to make certain I had the results,

1 hour ago, DAVE & PAT said:

No we are flying out of Buffalo to Boston to catch our Flight on 8/30/21. Originally thought the test had to be PCR but have read they will accept the rapid test which is quicker and cheaper. Also they have an approved home test ALLUME which is monitored on line and cost $30 @ cvs. Are you in Manatee county?.That where we're from.

Yes, Lakewood National Golf Course Community and cousin is in Del Webb.  Walgreens told me test was FREE.  Viking agent told me it had to be the PCR.  Who knows?

48 minutes ago, IWantToLiveOverTheSea said:

Question for those in Heimaey or have been there: About how long is the tender ride, once the tender has all its passengers and leaves?  The Heimaey port website says it's usually a 2.5 nautical mile trip from where ships anchor, but I have no idea what that might translate to in terms of time.

Thanks. .

The tender ride is about 15 mins.

• Thanks 1

For those doing a post stay or have a later flight.. At debarkation, is there a shuttle from the cruise ship to Reykjavik? How are you getting from the cruise terminal to downtown?

22 minutes ago, Snit13 said:

Walgreens and Viking told me this afternoon that it had to be the PCR and both told me to get it Friday morning before my Monday flight to make certain I had the results,

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/topic/2791401-covid-test-required-for-all-iceland-visitors-starting-july-26/?do=findComment&comment=61501157

This is the link where I posted a summary of my conversation with Piper at Viking. I hope this helps! We're doing a rapid PCR test on Sunday morning. We fly at 10:25 PM Monday 7/26 on Delta.

1 hour ago, DAVE & PAT said:

The statement from Iceland says PCR I thought

No. Viking says PCR only. But PCR only applies to the unvaccinated per the Iceland Government. 
Vaccinated can do either PCR or Rapid test per the Iceland Government. The Iceland government says this, the Iceland Air website says it and the US State Dept click through to the Iceland Government rules says it. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, BQEC said:

No. Viking says PCR only. But PCR only applies to the unvaccinated per the Iceland Government. 
Vaccinated can do either PCR or Rapid test per the Iceland Government. The Iceland government says this, the Iceland Air website says it and the US State Dept click through to the Iceland Government rules says it. 

From United Air

74204630-784F-4F89-9198-2B09A792E230.png

• Like 1