C-Pap Extension Cord Question

DublinFC

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before.  However, I was under the impression that when informing NCL that a C-Pap will be used in the cabin that NCL will provide both distilled water and an extension cord. 

I received an email from NCL stating they will provide water, but asked me to bring my own extension cord.  The email stated they do have some available, but are 1st come 1st serve and could run out.  I understand they do not have an infinite supply of cords, no problem.  My question is what kind of cord is allowed to be in the stateroom?  There are rules as to what cords can and cannot be used by guests correct?

Power strips, multi plug box outlets / adaptors, and extension cords (WITHOUT SURGE PROTECTORS) are allowed on board, when used with proper caution. My wife uses a C-Pap machine. and most of the time a plug is close to the bed. One time we had to ask to use one of their extension cords.

We have a 15 foot heavy duty extension cord that we always bring with us.  So long as there is no surge suppressor, that cord is fine with NCL.  The cord always stays in the CPAP case, as there have been several times when we have needed it in pre/post cruise hotels.  We use the European plug in the stateroom, so there is a power adapter in the case too!  We always have NCL provide the distilled water.

I always bring a 15 ft regular extension cord on all cruises (and hotels too). It's in the CPAP bag.

It's an idea to invest in buying one - a normal/regular one will do - make it at least 12 ft - no need for a heavy duty one - so you can stick it in the travel bag for each time you travel.

2 hours ago, DublinFC said:

Hello,

I apologize if this has been asked and answered before.  However, I was under the impression that when informing NCL that a C-Pap will be used in the cabin that NCL will provide both distilled water and an extension cord. 

I received an email from NCL stating they will provide water, but asked me to bring my own extension cord.  The email stated they do have some available, but are 1st come 1st serve and could run out.  I understand they do not have an infinite supply of cords, no problem.  My question is what kind of cord is allowed to be in the stateroom?  There are rules as to what cords can and cannot be used by guests correct?

No rules. Most NCL standard rooms, the power will be on the desk across the bed. The length of cord will depend on the ship and room. 

We bring a 12' and 6' light weight, 2-prong, extension cord for our CPAP. If your CPAP has a grounded cord, then you will need a 3 prong cord. 

5 minutes ago, BirdTravels said:

No rules. Most NCL standard rooms, the power will be on the desk across the bed. The length of cord will depend on the ship and room. 

We bring a 12' and 6' light weight, 2-prong, extension cord for our CPAP. If your CPAP has a grounded cord, then you will need a 3 prong cord. 

OK good to know.  I just want to make sure I am prepared 🙂

Posted this in another thread...

After fighting the CPAP extension cord, especially when the plug is on the other side of the cabin from the bed, I broke down and purchased a battery for my machine.  Bought it primarily to use on overnight flights, but it works great in the cruise ship cabin. Just charge it during the day. I even have it plugged in to my machine at home in case the electricity goes out overnight. Here is the link for my battery on Amazon. I am sure there is a battery for every specific CPAP Machine. Can't sleep without mine. 

It still baffles me as to why NCL will not put power outlets next to beds … each time I go on brand new ship or renovated ship I look to see if NCL had the decency to install power outlets beside the beds but alas no. They did install USB power outlets beside the beds on the newly renovated Spirit but that was all. 

Now that we’ve booked to go on Viking Orion here in Bermuda in early Aug (sorry for going to the dark side but it’s our 35th wedding and we’re not ready to fly off island) I researched online about Viking ship cabins and guess what? There are both power and USB outlets beside BOTH sides of king beds in all cabins. 

Go figure!!!

NCL … ARE YOU READING THIS??

Edited by bluesea777
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

It still baffles me as to why NCL will not put power outlets next to beds … each time I go on brand new ship or renovated ship I look to see if NCL had the decency to install power outlets beside the beds but alas no. They did install USB power outlets beside the beds on the newly renovated Spirit but that was all. 

We were in a RCCL Junior Suite last week and they had a USB next to the bed, but I needed 3 of their short cords to get power from the desk to the bedside (since you can not bring one onto the ship). Had to keep asking for additional cords until it reached the bed.  

Edited by BirdTravels

3 hours ago, CardFanDubG said:

Posted this in another thread...

After fighting the CPAP extension cord, especially when the plug is on the other side of the cabin from the bed, I broke down and purchased a battery for my machine.  Bought it primarily to use on overnight flights, but it works great in the cruise ship cabin. Just charge it during the day. I even have it plugged in to my machine at home in case the electricity goes out overnight. Here is the link for my battery on Amazon. I am sure there is a battery for every specific CPAP Machine. Can't sleep without mine. 

Battery charging should only be done while you are in the room. Room stewards have been told to unplug anything left unattended. 

1 hour ago, bluesea777 said:

Now that we’ve booked to go on Viking Orion here in Bermuda in early Aug (sorry for going to the dark side but it’s our 35th wedding and we’re not ready to fly off island) I researched online about Viking ship cabins and guess what? There are both power and USB outlets beside BOTH sides of king beds in all cabins. 

Go figure!!!

NCL … ARE YOU READING THIS??

Which type of outlet would you like, a US outlet or a Europe outlet? Or should they add both?

1 hour ago, BirdTravels said:

We were in a RCCL Junior Suite last week and they had a USB next to the bed, but I needed 3 of their short cords to get power from the desk to the bedside (since you can not bring one onto the ship). Had to keep asking for additional cords until it reached the bed.  

Crazy!

22 minutes ago, anyman said:

Which type of outlet would you like, a US outlet or a Europe outlet? Or should they add both?

Anything as long as there is an electrical outlet beside the bed. I carry several plug adapters (US, UK, European, Australian, etc) and my CPAP machine is dual voltage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drvmywifecrzy said:

If you have a Phillips CPAP check the website, there is a huge recall currently

Thanks for the heads up. Both mine and my wife's are affected and I just had to wake her up to tell her to take it off. I just got a new machine too . . .

• Like 1