How is JiJis solo?

firefly333

I'm thinking I'd like to eat here several nights, but its served family style.  I have lots of obc to treat myself.

Have some of you eaten there in the past? Do they combine people so the tables are full? I'd like to sample almost everything. I hope this is a good place for single diners.

20210622_104632005.jpeg

20210616_193015737.jpeg

20210616_193043749.jpeg

20210616_193105024.jpeg

Seems unpopular, and only a few ships have them. Maybe I'm the only one that loves oriental type fares.

I'm worried when I read about adventure that it's best to reserve a time to eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch ...buffet will reopen for dinner when rcl hits around 65% occupancy. That solo is a problem to eat.

Well I'd be fine family style but I'm solo and idk if I can order a little bit of all but one thing. Not a whole helping of each. I hope some others eat here when vista restarts and can say how it is.

15 minutes ago, Tiger0613 said:

I ate there solo on the Sunshine in February 2019.  I was seated by myself.  I was allowed one appetizer, one entree, and one dessert.

Seems like that's not exactly fair, but ok, might not eat there as much. Even chops you get more appetizers if you want. Thanks.

I was afraid solo wouldnt be as good but I'll try it.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

Seems unpopular, and only a few ships have them. Maybe I'm the only one that loves oriental type fares.

I'm worried when I read about adventure that it's best to reserve a time to eat in the buffet for breakfast and lunch ...buffet will reopen for dinner when rcl hits around 65% occupancy. That solo is a problem to eat.

Well I'd be fine family style but I'm solo and idk if I can order a little bit of all but one thing. Not a whole helping of each. I hope some others eat here when vista restarts and can say how it is.

JiJi’s is the absolute best food I’ve had on a cruise. I have no idea why it’s unpopular, but it’s amazing. I’d go solo, as a couple, or as a group. Nothing can hold me back from that Kung Pao Chicken! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, originalgeek said:

Never been but that menu looks fantastic so I'd definitely go and if my wife didn't want to (she's kinda iffy on Asian food in general but likes a very few things) i'd go without her. 

Idk why but only half the menu posted above. I love duck and spicy and everything but the coconut dish. I'm allergic .. but everything else looks so good. Too bad one choice allowed.

Hers the rest of the menu

20210616_193105024.jpeg

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, firefly333 said:

Idk why but only half the menu posted above. I love duck and spicy and everything but the coconut dish. I'm allergic .. but everything else looks so good. Too bad one choice allowed.

I've ordered more than "one" choice, no problem, just ask.  I would be surprised if they didn't accommodate your request.

• Thanks 1

I have tried Ji Ji's on Panorama and found the service and food to be excellent. I had no problem ordering what I wanted, or more than one choice. The meats and vegetables were fresh and definitely first class. I mark down slightly for the condiments and sauces because they are sourced from large purveyors and are skewed from "authentic" to flavors more in tune with American palates. An example is the shrimp dumplings when served must have a very special vinegar mixed with spring water and ginger just prior to serving. 

I was delighted with the duck dish and the pork belly required a second round. The servings are smaller than typically seen in Asia, but I think that does prevent food being wasted because a lot of folks will just avoid new flavors and not eat the dishes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Hmmm. As a party of 2, I recall only being offered one option from each category, served to us individually. Perhaps I'm remembering incorrectly. However, it wasn't crowded and the food was excellent. We have reservations for Horizon in November. I'm sure solo is fine and they will accommodate your wishes. 

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, firefly333 said:

As a quick note, you can still show up at the Windjammer without a reservation. They're probably requiring reservations to make sure it doesn't get too crowded at one point. I haven't seen any reports of anyone getting turned away. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, natefish95 said:

As a quick note, you can still show up at the Windjammer without a reservation. They're probably requiring reservations to make sure it doesn't get too crowded at one point. I haven't seen any reports of anyone getting turned away. 

How do you know if carnival hasnt resumed out of the usa.

I was just watching rcl that cruise critic did a question and answer on, and they recommended getting a reservation.. yes for the buffet. They are doing social distancing on their vaccinated cruise. I havent seen john asked this question, but if they are also socially distancing us on carnival for safety why wouldnt it be harder to get in. 

I want to see someone who is on vista in 2 weeks say wide open to get into the buffet.

And I expect first vista to be very low capacity .. going to have more booking maybe once it restarts and people feel safe. I just dont know how anyone can say until carnival restarts, but I do like oriental and was doing it and maybe once at steakhouse if np to book.

I was thinking chefs table but saw john said cancelled july and august ..and sept cant buy either so far. Lots of unknowns so far to me. I'm a show me lol. 

1 hour ago, Moviela said:

I was delighted with the duck dish and the pork belly required a second round. The servings are smaller than typically seen in Asia, but I think that does prevent food being wasted because a lot of folks will just avoid new flavors and not eat the dishes. 

Lol actually I love duck and wanted it, and the pork belly I wanted to try but wasnt sure. But they are top of my list, but I love the spicy chicken too. Saw several things but those were top of my list to order.

4 hours ago, Cruise Related said:

JiJi’s is the absolute best food I’ve had on a cruise. I have no idea why it’s unpopular, but it’s amazing. I’d go solo, as a couple, or as a group. Nothing can hold me back from that Kung Pao Chicken! 

Absolutely agree with you, and Kung Pao is my favorite too.  I've never had better anywhere of that particular dish.  I really wish they had it on more ships, because going solo wouldn't be a problem.  I'd just try something new every night!  Maybe.  There's also a chance I'd just eat Kung Pao every night 😄Oh, and the rose creme brulee!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, DenaInWyo said:

Absolutely agree with you, and Kung Pao is my favorite too.  I've never had better anywhere of that particular dish.  I really wish they had it on more ships, because going solo wouldn't be a problem.  I'd just try something new every night!  Maybe.  There's also a chance I'd just eat Kung Pao every night 😄Oh, and the rose creme brulee!

Lol I want that too. That's why it's so hard to just choose one.

I’ve eaten at JiJi’s solo on numerous occasions on the Sunshine. Never had a problem getting more than one appetizer or entree. In fact usually the servers ask if I would like more. Also I have to concur on the Kung Pao Chicken…to die for!! 🤤

• Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, DenaInWyo said:

Well, if you only go one night, I can tell you that's the ONE.  😉

But but but, it says family style sharing style. That's why I wanted to share a table.

And I'm sure I could eat it more than once and the duck too. One night for lobster and one for steak. I'm sure I will be there  oro than once. Too bad it's only on vista, not on breeze.

1 hour ago, firefly333 said:

How do you know if carnival hasnt resumed out of the usa.

I was just watching rcl that cruise critic did a question and answer on, and they recommended getting a reservation.. yes for the buffet. They are doing social distancing on their vaccinated cruise. I havent seen john asked this question, but if they are also socially distancing us on carnival for safety why wouldnt it be harder to get in. 

I want to see someone who is on vista in 2 weeks say wide open to get into the buffet.

And I expect first vista to be very low capacity .. going to have more booking maybe once it restarts and people feel safe. I just dont know how anyone can say until carnival restarts, but I do like oriental and was doing it and maybe once at steakhouse if np to book.

I was thinking chefs table but saw john said cancelled july and august ..and sept cant buy either so far. Lots of unknowns so far to me. I'm a show me lol. 

You mentioned needing a reservation on Adventure of the Seas and I was just pointing out that they're not required. You can still show up to the Windjammer without a reservation. I don't know what Carnival's plans out, but since you mentioned Royal, I just wanted to add a point of clarification. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, natefish95 said:

You mentioned needing a reservation on Adventure of the Seas and I was just pointing out that they're not required. You can still show up to the Windjammer without a reservation. I don't know what Carnival's plans out, but since you mentioned Royal, I just wanted to add a point of clarification. 

Yea we will see if there is a line to get in as I dont want to choose when to eat breakfast. I'm used to getting up early and spending time watching the sun come up drinking coffee. Then later eating. I'm thinking wouldnt be able to just hang out in the buffet .. hope I'm wrong. Brunch in Mdr to me is served too late, I'm hungry before it opens. I want eggs and bacon in the buffet. From the egg station. 

I'm sure will be some compromises. I hope the weather is nice to sit outside.