Rhine: Are the temps predictably cooler on the water?

HRH_Twink

Our family is doing a Rhine cruise the first week of September 2021 (fingers crossed).

When I was looking up historic weather patterns for the places we will be docking, in order to plan what clothing to bring, I wondered how much different the temperatures are when actually cruising on the water. Any guesstimate about how many degrees cooler it is on the river than in town?

Almost all of your cruising takes place while you are asleep.  The exceptions are when you pass through the scenic middle Rhine, and the day Viking took us to Kinderdijk, we spent the afternoon cruising on the Waal, which connected us to the Rhine.  Also remember that the river isn't super-wide--you can always see both banks of the river at all times.

Mostly hardly discernible but the wind chill could be more so depending when you are travelling maybe a jacket to suite the time of year. I find it a bit chilly in the ships restaurant with the air con so take wrap of some description. Enjoy your cruise. CA 

In October on the Rhine, I wore a light weight down jacket over a fleece on deck for the day we were cruising on the river.  In towns, a cotton jacket or fleece pull over were enough.  

• Thanks 1