Next question. What’s the deal with The Retreat on the Encore & Ovation

Hobar

We will be on the Odyssey next April. I noticed the deck plan shows an area for The Retreat that appears much smaller than the area on the Ovation. Is it supposed to be the same set up?

2 minutes ago, ernieb said:

We will be on the Odyssey next April. I noticed the deck plan shows an area for The Retreat that appears much smaller than the area on the Ovation. Is it supposed to be the same set up?

No, it's completely different. And for some of us SB old timers it's a much missed space on the two new ships.

edited to add -at the time of writing. Who knows what changes SB will make in the next few months!

Edited by Isklaar
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, M&PGermany said:

To be honest I, have never heard that a guest on Seabourn was unable to get a drink in various venues.

The staff are more than attentive and when you cough loud enough you should be getting their attention very quickly. Especially under today's circumstances 😂.

Once during Ovation's premier season, though,  I had trouble getting a drink in the Observation Bar at night. But then I just stood up, walked up to the bar and asked the 2 guys behind the bar if there is anything that I could do for THEM, maybe take some orders, help with mixing cocktails, that sort of thing to make THEIR life easier...

You can trust me, they understood pretty fast and I had my cocktail served before I was back in my chair..

You sound like a real pleasure.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Isklaar said:

No, it's completely different. And for some of us SB old timers it's a much missed space on the two new ships.

edited to add -at the time of writing. Who knows what changes SB will make in the next few months!

What made the old space better?

20 minutes ago, ernieb said:

What made the old space better?

Well there's no fee to enter it is a positive! Seriously, it has some comfortable sofa type seating, a small golf course area and shuffleboard.

There's a large forward sun terrace.
Also it's a perfect peaceful spot in the evening.We had an astronomer on the ship one time who gave some great star gazing lessons up there. 

Edited by Isklaar
Grammar!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Isklaar said:

Well there's no fee to enter it is a positive! Seriously, it has some comfortable sofa type seating, a small golf course area and shuffleboard.

Love it. I'm up there every day improving my shuffleboard.

3 hours ago, jjs217 said:

Oh my - you are feisty!

+1 

I normally take an opposite approach.  When the bartenders are overwhelmed, I typically wait till things calm down a bit to place my order.  No need to cause drama; they work so hard and have to deal with so many guests, some of whom, as we all know, can be difficult and demanding at times, that the last thing I'd want to do is to be snarky and to disrespect them.

I am very fond of Seabourn staff - they are the most important asset of Seabourn and its top value proposition, as well as the reason for which I return to the brand time and again.  I want to keep them happy and show them my appreciation. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ernieb said:

Are drinks - cocktails and wines served there as well?

In my experience it depends on how many guests are using the area, if it's just a small number, perhaps no crew will come until you ask but  you can let them know at the Sky or pool bar and then someone will certainly bring you wine etc. 

There is always a fridge stocked with Coke, Club soda, water etc and a large box of ice to serve yourself. 

4 hours ago, ernieb said:

I was going to say “that’s easy… there is no Retreat on the Odyssey class ships” because that was always the Sun Terrace or something like that and it was free.

But then I looked at the deck plans and see that it’s now labeled The Retreat on the Odyssey deck plans online, so it makes me wonder if someone at corporate has decided to monetize that space on the older ships.  😳

51 minutes ago, ernieb said:

Thank you. Does sound nice.

Okay so my partner said there is not a drinks fridge on that deck area.

Today marks a year and a half since we were last on a Seabourn ship. Memory is acting up.
Who's right, who's wrong? Hopefully someone else,will comfirm or deny the presence of the fridge!

57 minutes ago, Isklaar said:

Okay so my partner said there is not a drinks fridge on that deck area.

Today marks a year and a half since we were last on a Seabourn ship. Memory is acting up.
Who's right, who's wrong? Hopefully someone else,will comfirm or deny the presence of the fridge!

Tadaaaaaaa.....

Here to serve.... there used to be a drinks "buffet" in front of the sun terrace sunbeds like in the photo... this was replaced by a fridge. 😉

Bildschirmfoto 2021-07-05 um 23.48.26.png

• Like 1

7 hours ago, sfvoyage said:

+1 

I normally take an opposite approach.  When the bartenders are overwhelmed, I typically wait till things calm down a bit to place my order.  No need to cause drama; they work so hard and have to deal with so many guests, some of whom, as we all know, can be difficult and demanding at times, that the last thing I'd want to do is to be snarky and to disrespect them.

I am very fond of Seabourn staff - they are the most important asset of Seabourn and its top value proposition, as well as the reason for which I return to the brand time and again.  I want to keep them happy and show them my appreciation. 

I agree.  They are there to serve us; they are not our servants.  I cringe when I see those who feel so entitled to disrespect, belittle and humiliate staff.  Ugh.  

• Like 1