Children-what's the deal?

willzmom

Relax and enjoy your cruise. We took my daughter on her first cruise last year (she was 1yo) and we all had the BEST time. Yes, it was different than travelling without children but that's not our life anymore. We're getting ready to take her on her second cruise (now 2yo) and I can't wait. The only time my daughter had issues was during dinner but we were with a big group and just rotated taking her out. If you're considerate of those around you, I don't think there will be any problems. Like I said, just relax and enjoy your FAMILY cruise.

I certainly agree that children need to be lovingly nurtured and taught how to behave in public, but let's be realistic and cut parents a little slack. Children are children, not mini-adults, and we can't expect perfect behaviour at all times, especially in the pre-school years. Sometimes kids just lose it for one reason or another, and if possible the parent does need to remove them from the scene, but sometimes this may be difficult, such as in an airplane, where there is nowhere to go. A little patience and understanding for the parent goes a long way. It's not always that easy to calm a screaming or upset toddler or baby. Also we need to remember that kids, like adults, have very different temperments and not all children are as easy to handle and discipline as others. This does not mean I condone the 'let 'em run wild' mentality; parent's need to be aware of and concerned about their children's behavior and it's effect on others and do all they can to make sure their kids are a pleasure to be around. But to expect or require that all kids at all times be perfect little angels while in public, or stay home, is unrealistic and silly.

There have been a lot of comments that it it isn't the children the cruisers don't like its the parents who don't control them. I like PP re: cutting parents some slack. The truth is that while we won't let them run wild or torment anyone, if they are doing kid things on a moderate level that don't actually count normally as misbehaving (running about is a common favorite), you don't want to go apes**t on them, or they panic. We can gently remind them we're in a more formal than usual place, but if you overwhelm them with control, they actually act up worse than if you can calmly guide them back into good behavior. To the outside it may look as if you aren't doing much to control them, but you are.

I can also explain why parents don't always whip a child right out of a dining room the minute they act up. I've been there, done that. We were on vacation and restaurant took a very long time to get seated and served. By the time food arrived, DD was so past her eating time that she was overwhelmed and too worked up to eat and so screamed and threw food on the floor (she was 1). Pretty bad, and I was truly, truly sorry for everyone who was a victim of our presence. But here's the thing. I needed 12 minutes or so to charm child into eating a couple of bites. Once she ate a few bites, she'd be less hypoglycemic and would settle down and eat and be happy. If I took her out or took her out to try to feed her in the parking lot, she'd get more and more out of control and the whole night would be a freak out. I may have looked as if I didn't care, but in truth, I just needed a few minutes to make it all better. 95% of time time restaurants work out pretty well, so we do keep going. Every so often a this that and the other thing conspire to make it ugly.

But that's why some people uncategorically don't want children in their presence (i.e., cruise ships). They don't want to have to come in contact with those bits of slack parents need.

Until I read these boards I didn't realize there was such a rift between traveling families and nonfamily people. An eye opener. I admit I used to hope on business trips I didn't get put in the family section on the plane, so I do understand the other side. And even now DD knows I won't eat at Bertuccis because it is too wild with everybody running around in there. But I didn't realize culture was becoming so polarized. Interesting...

• 3 weeks later...

if you go to a restaurant that offers high chairs, kids menus, and crayons, you assume the risk that there will be children there and sometimes children are noisy. it's just pointless to complain about a screaming child in a family restaurant. if you want a formal dining experience, there are better dining choices for you.

the same can be said for cruises. if you go on a cruise that advertises children's activities and sails during a school break, expect to see tons of noisy kids. even the most perfectly behaved children will act up in a strange setting around lots of strange kids. hopefully parents will choose the more casual dining options and will keep their kids out of adults only areas, but they paid (sometimes the full adult price for the kids) to have the same cruise experience that everyone else gets. they shouldn't be exiled to buffetland for burgers when they paid for the filet. if you are unhappy with the activities of other guests (child or adult) you can always request a different seating arrangement for dinner. they are not responsible for your cruising experience. you are.

Supernate's mom - Just go and enjoy yourself. No worries. I hear the same complaints on these boards all the time. I also am there when people come up to us in the dining room on the cruise and commend my children for being so well behaved during dinner.

I've had more problems with unruly adults on my cruises then with unruly children. My kids started cruising at 7 months of age. My oldest one is now 6.

Cruise lines like RCCL are moving more towards families WITH kids. You are never going to get everyone to agree with your choices for taking kids on cruises on these boards. There are always other options out there for people who want to avoid kids - Celebrity perhaps?

We would not take our children into an environment or on a cruise that is geared toward adults. I love my vacation time with my family, away from all of the duties of home. There are cruise lines and resorts that cater to adults and I respect this. We like to enjoy our vacations.

I personally find that adults who are being loud, drunk, and/or obnoxious on airplanes, ships, and in restaurants should be held to the same standards as children. Everyone should be respectful of those around them, whether you are an adult or a child. I find myself more embarresed by the behavior of adults when I travel than the behavior of children.

Parents are responsible for planning their special time with their children when schools plan breaks and maybe those times should be considered by those who prefer to be in adult enenvironments, this applies to travel anywhere in the world. I remember my kids telling me about a couple that got on the elevator with them last year on a ship who immediately glared at them. Guess what the kids wanted to do next? They didn't act on their desires but I'm not sure I would have had the same control.

Cruises that obviously welcome children are a great vacation for everyone.

We would not take our children into an environment or on a cruise that is geared toward adults. I love my vacation time with my family, away from all of the duties of home. There are cruise lines and resorts that cater to adults and I respect this. We like to enjoy our vacations.

I personally find that adults who are being loud, drunk, and/or obnoxious on airplanes, ships, and in restaurants should be held to the same standards as children. Everyone should be respectful of those around them, whether you are an adult or a child. I find myself more embarresed by the behavior of adults when I travel than the behavior of children.

Parents are responsible for planning their special time with their children when schools plan breaks and maybe those times should be considered by those who prefer to be in adult enenvironments, this applies to travel anywhere in the world. I remember my kids telling me about a couple that got on the elevator with them last year on a ship who immediately glared at them. Guess what the kids wanted to do next? They didn't act on their desires but I'm not sure I would have had the same control.

Cruises that obviously welcome children are a great vacation for everyone.

I couldn't agree with you more! We are going on the Norwegian Dawn in April with our 4 year old and 6 month old and we intend to have a fantastic vacation. We have no intention of not eating in the paying restaurants and plan on including our kids in all the fun activities we partake in. We have been vacationing and eating in restaurants with our 4 yr old since she was a newborn and she is all the better for it. She is polite, well behaved and a real joy to take places. We plan on doing the same thing with her baby brother. There is no better education for children then showing them the sites and making them aware that you expect excellent behavior from them in certain situations.

To Supernate's Mom and the OP:

We cruised w/our first son when he was 18 months old, and we have another cruise planned w/both our boys (they will 3 1/2 and 9 months @the time of the cruise).

We did not get any negative comments/feedback from any passengers. We have always taken our son out w/us in public (unless, of course, it was someplace/something intended for adults only). I think it is good to take children out in public from an early age (provided they are being properly supervised/parented), b/c it teaches them how to behave appropriately when they are out.

Having said that, we DID take precautions. Our son is a happy child and does not complain much. BUT....he can be very vocal/loud when expressing his happiness (OH MAMA, LOOK AT THAT!!!!!!),etc. Also, there was NO WAY he was going to make it through dinner in the dining room (it took too long, and he can be rather messy w/his food when he is done eating it!). So, we took him to the buffet every night. And we tried to keep him in places were it was acceptable to be "boisterous". We didn't take any tours or long excursions. We arranged to go to the beach every day we were in port somewhere. He loved that!

My husband and I had cruised quite a bit before we had children. I honestly never thought about or noticed kids before on a cruise (until I had children myself!). However, I have noticed a lot of drunk and obnoxious adults. But, even that won't keep me from cruising.

We had a wonderful time when we cruised w/our son and so did the rest of the family (we have a tradition of cruising @Christmas instead of buying a lot of presents). In fact, both sets of grandparents said it was the best trip they had been on (maybe that's why I liked it so much......w/2 sets of grandparents fighting over him, my husband and I had lots of time alone!).

Just stay patient and be prepared (and if you are a mother, you already know that!).;)

I can also explain why parents don't always whip a child right out of a dining room the minute they act up. I've been there, done that. We were on vacation and restaurant took a very long time to get seated and served. By the time food arrived, DD was so past her eating time that she was overwhelmed and too worked up to eat and so screamed and threw food on the floor (she was 1). Pretty bad, and I was truly, truly sorry for everyone who was a victim of our presence. But here's the thing. I needed 12 minutes or so to charm child into eating a couple of bites. Once she ate a few bites, she'd be less hypoglycemic and would settle down and eat and be happy. If I took her out or took her out to try to feed her in the parking lot, she'd get more and more out of control and the whole night would be a freak out. I may have looked as if I didn't care, but in truth, I just needed a few minutes to make it all better. 95% of time time restaurants work out pretty well, so we do keep going. Every so often a this that and the other thing conspire to make it ugly.

Sorry, but when you realized that it was going to take a while before you got your food, you should have asked your server to bring something for your child to snack on. Or bring some snacks with you, just in case.

Many restaurants and cruiseship dining rooms will have crackers that can be brought out for any small kids. Sometimes we've had a waiter who doesn't even ask, just brings them to the table. Or you can carry a little container of goldfish crackers. I used to bring little containers of the goldfish and cheerios on the cruiseship when my daughter was younger. Very helpful, especially if the dining room is chaotic.

I am getting very discouraged with the comments about children on cruise ships.

One thing to remember about these boards, Many of the people on these boards have very strong feelings one way or another about this issue. Many of the comments seen here come from the extremes, while the majority of the people do not think about this issue at all, hence they would not have any reason to post about this subject, one way or the other.

This can also be applied to the people on the cruise. You will always be able to find a certain small percentage of kids that misbehave(and parents that let them). You will also find that small percentage of people that will not be happy unless they have something to complain about.

So enjoy your cruise, and do not worry about the extremes.:)

I took my daughter on her first cruise at 11 and she is now addicted to cruising. I do not think that there is a better vacation for children around that age. The only problem now is that she doesnt want to do any other type of vacation.

I have been on several cruises and have never seen any problems with any children. In fact, most have been well behaved but we do tend to cruise on off months.

Willzmom, I just read your question and all of the replies that went with it. We just got back from our first cruise, Carnival Valor, 3 weeks ago and had the time of our lives. My husband and I went with 6 other couples and we all left our kids at home (it was my first time away from my boys, ages 5 &7). We loved our cruise so much that I am already booking 2 more in the next year, one with kids, one without. We've decided on the Disney cruise with the kids. We had a blast as an all adult group on the cruise and I would not have done half of the things we did if our kids went with us. Bottom line is... of course Carnival is going to market all of the kids activities on a cruise, that's more money for them. But we've decided that if we take the kids, we'll take one that's designed for kids. Of course, grown ups have fun on the Disney cruise too. You will have a great time on your cruise and so will your son, it's all a matter of preference. Have a great trip!

Cruisee Q

We did the Disney Magic w/the ds's yes the cruise geared towords the young at heart .But Disney steps up this is not a Disnet commercial cruise the early cruise era is well represented classie in many ways There are adult areas and adult entertainment those over 18 and these areas are enforced and posted.The family kids areas are a ton of fun so are the kids camps. Their dinners are dining enjoyment a show in themselves. Best nite was the Pirates of the carribean nite around 10pm?? up on deck characters included audience included show after there is a true late nite buffet on deck. 2 cruise ships were docked beside us in cozumel and their passsengers were all watching us party away :p :)

and we have another cruise planned w/both our boys (they will 3 1/2 and 9 months @the time of the cruise).

Happy Chick, what great ages for cruising!!! On my first cruise, while I was chasing around my 1 1/2 -year-old (though still having fun), I was talking to a mom with a 3 1/2-year-old and an 8-month-old. She said that they were at perfect ages for cruising and they were having the best cruise. The 3-year-old wanted to spend time at the kids club, and the 8-month-old wasn't yet mobile and loved nothing more than to be outside by the pool with her. She said that mealtimes were great, too. This fall I will have a 3 1/2-year-old and a baby and am sooooo looking forward to it!!!

...But we've decided that if we take the kids, we'll take one that's designed for kids. Of course, grown ups have fun on the Disney cruise too...

Taking only Disney cruises with your kids is really going to limit yourself. They offer so few itineraries. I mean, how many times do you want to go to the Bahamas when there is a whole world out there for you and your kids to explore?!?! Maybe after a couple of Disney cruises with your kids you may venture onto other cruiselines with your kids. ;) Maybe someday I will give up and actually take a Disney cruise and see what all the fuss is about :D :D :D

Taking only Disney cruises with your kids is really going to limit yourself. They offer so few itineraries. I mean, how many times do you want to go to the Bahamas when there is a whole world out there for you and your kids to explore?!?! Maybe after a couple of Disney cruises with your kids you may venture onto other cruiselines with your kids. ;) Maybe someday I will give up and actually take a Disney cruise and see what all the fuss is about :D :D :D

I did take a Disney Cruise and I am STILL trying to figure out what all the "fuss is about" lol ;)

I agree with you. It's not like DCL is the ONLY cruiseline for families. Personally, I'm addicted to RCCL.

Hi, We cruised Princess with our DD when she was 21 months old, and she loved it. We picked Princess because of the 24 hour Horizon Court buffet - food available anytime for a hungry child (and parents too!!) not just burgers and pizza. We knew that we would be "catering" to her as she was too young for the kids centre, and that was ok. We planned it that way and really enjoyed spending time with her. Plus it was 2 parents to 1 kid so it was easy to take turns. During naptime, the parent "on duty" sat on the balcony - who could complain?

This time, we waited until DS was old enuf for the kids club - over 3, problem is we are still working on the potty training so it'll be tricky!!!:rolleyes:

My kids both go to restaurants regularly. They know how to behave. We often get compliments about their behavior. We have only ever had to pack up and leave twice, and both times was clearly our fault - we took an overtired child to a restaurant - bad news!!!

I think that as long as we parents don't take a vacation from parenting, there should be no reason not to cruise (or take any vacation for that matter) with your kids. The experiences are fabulous, and you get to spend time with them that you just otherwise wouldn't!!!

Clearly the major cruiselines want families' money and business, otherwise they would not be offering the amentites that they are offering. To those who prefer child free cruising, try longer itineraries or the more "exclusive" cruiselines. There are options out there for all of us!!!

...This time, we waited until DS was old enuf for the kids club - over 3, problem is we are still working on the potty training so it'll be tricky!!!:rolleyes:

Uh, oh! Good luck! I hope it happens for you guys! We just barely got my 3-yr-old potty-trained and so we are READY for the kids club next month!!! Thank goodness.

Shellie

Cruises are great for children! My children are 13 (daughter) and 10 (son)and we have taken them on a cruise on each of the last four years. My son loves the organized activities (we've only been on Carnival, and he has loved Camp Carnival each year). Now, he is old enough to check himself in and out, and he always reports to me where he is. There are always a lot of kids his age, and he meets them everywhere -- in the pool, in the arcade, on the beach in port.

My daughter loves the cruises too, but she is not into the organized activities. She does her own thing, but I never let her wander around the ship alone at night. She was always pretty exhausted at night and would hang out in the cabin, babysit for younger cousins in the cabin or go to sleep. She liked it better this year when we went with a family we knew; she had someone to hang out with.

On the cruise ship, there is always something for everyone. And, at night, there is even adult time (kids at Camp Carnival or in the cabin).

A cruise really works for my family so we will keep doing it.

Those who would rather not be with kids on vacation (other people's kids, especially) should try to avoid school holiday weeks. That's hard in the winter because the vacations sometimes vary state by state (here in NY,we get a week before Easter, but I know that in Massachusetts they get the week of Patriot's Day, which is the week after Easter), but you can figure that there are some weeks that are big school vacation times (like President's Week, which is when I like to go).

Sometimes I even go with relatives that I'd rather not spend tons of time with but, hey, I keep reminding my husband: It's a big ship!

Children on cruises need to know the rules just like any other place they go. But parents think their kids are safe and just go off and do their own thing. When your children are in a foreign country do not let them go off in a taxi and ride around. You may never see them again.

We were in Jamica and they ship's cruise director told us there are taxi's that are not safe..to make sure we get into the one's with the liscense posted on the windshield. We saw parents waving at their small children as they put them in a taxi to go to a beach...alone.

Please use common sense on a cruise ship and keep the children safe. If they obey the rules,, listen to the parents and actitivies people..the kids will have fun and return home safely.

I agree with the people who say that parents should be sure to keep parenting on vacation. I love kids (have 3 of my own) and never mind seeing kids on a cruise. What I do mind is the parents who ignore everything their kids do. There was one time on an airplane when a baby seated behind me (on the parent's lap), kept pulling my hair. I have short hair, this baby had to lean forward to grab it. I don't blame the baby, I blame the parent who just sat there and allowed this child to keep pulling my hair. I turned around after the second time and asked the father to please stop the child. A baby does not know right from wrong until their parent teaches them.

Children on cruises need to know the rules just like any other place they go. But parents think their kids are safe and just go off and do their own thing. When your children are in a foreign country do not let them go off in a taxi and ride around. You may never see them again.

We were in Jamica and they ship's cruise director told us there are taxi's that are not safe..to make sure we get into the one's with the liscense posted on the windshield. We saw parents waving at their small children as they put them in a taxi to go to a beach...alone.

Please use common sense on a cruise ship and keep the children safe. If they obey the rules,, listen to the parents and actitivies people..the kids will have fun and return home safely.

Huh? :confused:

Archived