COSTA CLUB changes from 1st September

SpeedySal

Just wondering if anyone has a clue to what the changes might be re. Costa Club from 1st September this year please? I cannot find anything so I expect we will have to wait and see.

Also, I found I have not lost any points this year and they did not deduct any last year either. Well, we have not been able to cruise with Costa or anyone else!

If Costa have not taken any points from members this June, do you think this means we will retain our points until next June? I would be interested to hear your views. Thanks a lot.

Costa has extended the validity of membership points by 1-2 years because of covid.

As long as their ships are not sailing they will not deduct any points.

Why you think there will be some changes in the Costa club in September

Edited by drsel

Thank you for your response. I saw on the Costa U.K. site under General Conditions Costa Club that the validity of the current levels/benefits ends on 31/08/21 and it says that points/levels will be recalculated or something along those lines. I think they are saying that there will be changes in the way points are awarded, points for each level and in the actual benefits/privileges. 

There are now huge numbers of Perla Diamanté members and presumably Perla Oro, too. I was  on Costa Smeralda early last year before Covid hit and there were far too many to all be allocated the Club restaurant and a very large section of the Arlechino restaurant was specifically dedicated to Perla Diamanté members. 

Also, I think so many members are now entitled to upgrades that perhaps Costa are rethinking this in the light of massive losses due to the pandemic. We will know soon I suppose!

10 hours ago, SpeedySal said:

. I was  on Costa Smeralda early last year before Covid hit 

We are planning to book Costa smeralda

can you tell us how your experience was, and give us a review please

Edited by drsel

• 1 month later...

So do we all think that our points will remain as they are until next June 2022, please?

If Costa has extended the validity of membership points by 1- 2 years, as drsel (thank you) says above, this means for 2020/2021 so presumably no points would expire until 15/06/2021?

Is this similar to other cruise lines current policy does anyone know, please?

Things are obviously not changing at all in September, although announced differently before. The current conditions are now valid until April 15th 2022 and I can’t see any changes compared to those valid earlier this year. The oldest still valid points I have are from March 2017, these should have expired in June 2020. That was extended several times. I didn’t loose a single point this year and my account tells me “Expiring points 15 June 2022: 0”

I think it isn’t wrong at all to pamper returning customers a bit, especially now. Most benefits aren’t causing a lot of extra costs, the OBC involved has been cut down anyway. In 2014 I participated in a free galley tour open for everybody as part of a sea day entertainment, now you need to be gold at least to get it for free. So it’s more the other way round, instead of giving away a benefit let most pay for things that were offered for free before. Getting priority treatment from boarding over seating to disembarking doesn’t cost anything, but causes a good feeling.

Thank you, Stefan, for your thoughts and I agree with your analysis for why Costa are probably letting things remain as they are re.points/benefits etc, for Costa Club members until June next year. 

It would seem short-sighted and unfair if they were to deduct points when there are so few cruises at the moment and when most of the perks cost Costa nothing or very little.

Here’s hoping we can all get back to safe cruising asap.

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, maryann2 said:

Check your points. (Thank you Patrick for letting me know)

Suddenly I have been elevated to perla diamonte. Hope it's not a glitch.

Says points expire June 2022.

Congratulations! My level and points are still exactly the same, collected between 2017 and 2019. Costa states “Expiring points 15 June 2022: 0”

I paraphrase, but the terms and conditions page for Costa Club on the UK website says that from 22/4/2022 there will be a new scheme which will have revised tiers of membership and methods of accruing points and that points already accumulated will be recalculated in order to place members into those revised tiers. There will also be new (worse?!) benefits and privileges. We also got bunged 10,000 points on 3 September, but were already diamanté. As with so many Costa actions, it's a mystery...