Booking With US Travel Agent

Roz

If this question has been asked and answered, please excuse me.  I've been researching cruises on VV, and the TA websites I normally go to don't show Virgin.  Can these cruises only be booked with an agent in the UK?  Can US residents book directly with the cruise line?  Any info or guidance is appreciated.

My DH and I booked using an airline's travel agency (normally we book with a big box TA, but they don't offer VV), but we also have friends that booked directly with VV.  You can book online, but you will not be able to choose your cabin unless you actually call either VV or a TA.  

@Roz

We booked directly with VV - I know some TAs are setup to book with them as well.

My understanding of their booking engine is that it is automatic assignment vs you picking your specific cabin unless you need an accessible cabin. Time will tell if that changes at all.

Does anyone know why some travel agencies do not handle VV bookings?  I usually use V T G but they don't sell VV cruises.   I was going to transfer my booking to my regular agent and she curtly declined it.  Her tone made me think VV has irritated the travel agency industry in some way.

On 6/30/2021 at 11:33 AM, aimee0715 said:

Does anyone know why some travel agencies do not handle VV bookings?  I usually use V T G but they don't sell VV cruises.   I was going to transfer my booking to my regular agent and she curtly declined it.  Her tone made me think VV has irritated the travel agency industry in some way.

Maybe her agency hasn't set up access? Virgin's commission structure is actually quite good - they pay commissions on things most cruise lines don't. 

• Like 1

On 6/30/2021 at 8:33 AM, aimee0715 said:

My travel agent does VV, and seems to be happy with them-She gets credit for stuff I even book on my own, like shore excursions... I can sent you her info if you want a travel agent that is not curt with you...

• Like 1

I live in the USA, and could book online if I wanted the auto assigned cabin - but I chose to call to make the original booking so I could have a preferable cabin placement. (Birthday Bash July 2020) The website is a great way to see the pricing and availability, but often the sailor services call staff can help you with a different cabin option.

When my cruise was cancelled the first time I phoned to get the booking changed for the following year, and was able to be upgraded using the 200% FCC to a Rockstar suite even though none were showing available online (Birthday Bash July 2021).

We chose to reschedule before the cruises were cancelled again, and I phoned and ended up on a cruise in May 2022 (Dominican Daze), in a Mega Rockstar cabin. We gave up on being on a the birthday bash cruise, and decided to go for an extra night and spend the entire FCC and have a once in a lifetime experience.

I prefer booking directly myself, as that gives me the control when changes need to be made. I also do the same with airlines.

On 7/4/2021 at 5:53 PM, garymfreedman said:

My travel agent does VV, and seems to be happy with them-She gets credit for stuff I even book on my own, like shore excursions... I can sent you her info if you want a travel agent that is not curt with you...

I would love your travel agent's info.  Thanks!