Firefox now an "UNSUPPORTED BROWSER"?

What was that?

After using FF to access MVJ for the past two years (and up until an hour or so ago) I now get the following when I try to log in:

Unsupported Browser

Oops, it looks like the browser you are trying to use is no longer supported. In order to ensure the best My Viking Journey experience please use one of the below supported browsers.

Supported browsers include:

• Chrome Version 80 or higher
  • Edge Version 80 or higher
  • Safari Version 13.0.4 or higher

What the Heck?

58 minutes ago, What was that? said:

After using FF to access MVJ for the past two years (and up until an hour or so ago) I now get the following when I try to log in:

Unsupported Browser

Oops, it looks like the browser you are trying to use is no longer supported. In order to ensure the best My Viking Journey experience please use one of the below supported browsers.

Supported browsers include:

• Chrome Version 80 or higher
  • Edge Version 80 or higher
  • Safari Version 13.0.4 or higher

What the Heck?

I logged onto MVJ earlier today from my Firefox browser and didn't have a problem.  If I do again, I'll come back to report.  Is it possible that a browser update (I had a prompt for one I downloaded recently) that might be creating a problem?

I’m having the same problem but on my iPad with safari.  I cleared  the cache but still tells me it’s unsupported.  Hope it’s just a glitch that will be fixed soon.

same here-so frustrated trying to figure out Malta cruise-then i get this message- whatever

logged in with chrome no problem. Just reinforced the idea things at Viking are a mess and nobody can give you a straight answer.

8 hours ago, SteelCity Cruiser said:

I logged onto MVJ earlier today from my Firefox browser and didn't have a problem.  If I do again, I'll come back to report.  Is it possible that a browser update (I had a prompt for one I downloaded recently) that might be creating a problem?

Firefox not working for me this morning either.  Fortunately I have Chrome and Edge browsers so no biggie, but I'm curious as to why.

Make sure that whatever you are using, you are using the most current version. Many sites have dropped support for insecure versions of the security protocols used to connect to their sites (specifically early versions of TLS 1.0 and 1.1).

Some older browser versions only supported these TLS protocols, and transitionary versions of browsers provided user configurable support for TLS/SSL versions - you could control which versions would be supported when negotiating a secure session with a remote server. The latest versions of most browsers have entirely dropped support for 1.0/1.1

https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/find-what-version-firefox-you-are-using

Hope that helps, maybe?

Kevin

11 hours ago, Geri c said:

I’m having the same problem but on my iPad with safari.  I cleared  the cache but still tells me it’s unsupported.  Hope it’s just a glitch that will be fixed soon.

I am using Safari on my iPad now and have been for years - never had a problem. Be sure you’re system is updated to IOS 14.6.

45 minutes ago, What was that? said:

Still not working this morning. I cleared FF cache and windows file cache (and dns cache) but still not working. I will report this to Viking today. Using Chrome in the meantime.

I downloaded a clean copy of Firefox and confirmed it's not supported - not a surprise given that's exactly what their website already told you 😉

42 minutes ago, SkystheLimit said:

I use Safari and it is not working either.  Says I need to download Safari. ?

You need to update the Apple OS on your device.  I just did that on my IPad and Safari is now working again on MVJ.

• Like 3

Same here. iPhone 11. Working perfectly with Viking account until 2 minutes before my excursions opened. Mac to the rescue!! So they are not just picking on me. My research says that when the phone updates iOS, the Safari browser update will be automatically included. Viking includes a new Safari browser click through at the bottom of the email. I‘ll wait this one out for a little while. I emailed tell us. No reply yet. 

I sent an inquiry to Viking Social (TellUs@vikingcruises.com) this morning just to be certain there was not something I was doing rong, and received this nice reply:

"Thank you for reaching out to us here and for your patience as we looked into your inquiry. While we understand your initial concern, at this time we can confirm that regrettably, Firefox is not a supported browser.

To continue accessing your account we encourage you to follow the message on the screen upon visiting MyVikingJourney.com, which provides a list of currently supported browsers and, for your convenience, links to download the most updated versions. For the best MVJ experience we recommend making sure your device and internet browser are updated."

So now I will just get on with life and stop struggling with MVJ on FF.

BTW, I did not ask why anyone would do such a bonehead thing, as that would have been rude.

• Haha 1

After I got the first message, I cleared the cache on my iPad,  Still didn’t work,  I didn’t take any further action but it works fine now.  Geri

I am loathe to download Viking’s Safari from their link. Need to investigate further. The reply from tell us was to click through as directed. Firefox not supported??? Yes, boneheaded. 

28 minutes ago, BQEC said:

I am loathe to download Viking’s Safari from their link.

Yeah, seemed like a bad idea to me also.  I just updated IPad OS from Settings on my iPad.  It installed Version 14.6 and updated Safari to the latest version.

• Like 1

It's likely that they decided to formally block any but their list of supported browsers for fairly simple reasons - not many visitors use them.

When delivering web sites, especially those with content of a personal or financial nature, the teams responsible have to test for proper site behavior. These regression tests are typically executed before every release to the site, and can be somewhat time consuming. Many sites will decide only to formally test the most often used browsers based on visitor statistics, information which servers capture from every session.

Now the question is what to do with visitors using a browser you haven't formally tested for? You can either let them in and hope they don't have problems, or block them and avoid potential support headaches while you try to diagnose an issue which is the result of an oddity of your visitors' chosen browser.

This latter path is what Viking have chosen, reasoning (I suspect) that since so few customers use these browsers, and the supported options are so easily available, that it's a path with minor impact.

3 hours ago, Alan2504 said:

Weird, just tried Firefox and got straight into MVJ, yesterday I was getting the unsupported browser message ? 🙄

And now my FF can access MVJ without a problem.

My thanks go to the Viking website team for fixing this problem.

6 hours ago, Alan2504 said:

Weird, just tried Firefox and got straight into MVJ, yesterday I was getting the unsupported browser message ? 🙄

Thanks, I will try, try again.