Judge grants 2 week extension to CDC

For those of you trying to keep up (I know I’m struggling a bit)…. Judge Merryday gave the CDC 3 extra weeks to respond to his June ruling. They were supposed to respond today but the CDC asked for extension to Aug 2nd, Florida objected, judge compromised and extended to July 22. The ruling still goes into effect June 18th. 

in other news, Desantis order regarding vaccination passport became law yesterday. Carnival horizon will be 

the first 100% vaccination cruise to sail under the law (Sunday from miami). I will be following.

if I have any of this wrong, please feel correct. 

“A US judge gave the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention through July 22 to respond to Florida's challenge of the cruise shutdown.”
https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/judge-grants-cdc-more-time-respond-floridas-cruise-lawsuit

Edited by BermudaBound2014

I've honestly lost the bubble on this.  I was trying to keep up, but we're at the point where it will take a flow chart.  I think I'll just watch a) what sails, b) what kind of Covid cases are reported and c) if FL attempts to levy any fines.  I hate politics more every day.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

if I have any of this wrong, please feel correct

I know you meant well by posting, but I'm afraid you have confused some things, at least based on the article you cited.  I will clarify below:

1 hour ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

For those of you trying to keep up (I know I’m struggling a bit)…. Judge Merryday gave the CDC 3 extra weeks to respond to his June ruling. They were supposed to respond today but the CDC asked for extension to Aug 2nd, Florida objected, judge compromised and extended to July 22. The ruling still goes into effect June 18th.

This is not correct. According to the article, the CDC asked for more time to respond to the Complaint that Florida filed to start this lawsuit (not more time to respond to the June ruling).  The Judge has now given the CDC until July 22 to respond to the Complaint.  (The response was otherwise due on July 1.  BTW, your thread title is incorrect even as to the length of the extension, which is three weeks.)

The article was published on June 28; there is no information in it about how the CDC will respond to the court's invitation (issued in its June ruling) to seek a narrower injunction; that response by the CDC is due today, July 2.  

I hope this helps clarify for you what is going on.  🙂 

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

7 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

I know you meant well by posting, but I'm afraid you have confused some things, at least based on the article you cited.  I will clarify below:

This is not correct. According to the article, the CDC asked for more time to respond to the Complaint that Florida filed to start this lawsuit (not more time to respond to the June ruling).  The Judge has now given the CDC until July 22 to respond to the Complaint.  (The response was otherwise due on July 1.  BTW, your thread title is incorrect even as to the length of the extension, which is three weeks.)

The article was published on June 28; there is no information in it about how the CDC will respond to the court invitation (issued in its June ruling) to seek a narrower injunction; that response by the CDC is due today, July 2.  

thank you for helping to clarify. I don’t understand your last sentence. Are you saying that the CDCs response to the judges ruling is still due today? I thought the point of the article was that an extension was granted until July 22nd.

Edited by BermudaBound2014

3 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

thank you for helping to clarify. I don’t understand your last sentence. Are you saying that the CDCs response to the judges ruling is still due today?

Yes.  In fact, the article you cited expressly says so:  "This [the extension of time] is related to the underlying lawsuit; the July 2 deadline for responding to the preliminary injunction still stands."

https://www.seatrade-cruise.com/legal-regulatory/judge-grants-cdc-more-time-respond-floridas-cruise-lawsuit

The extension that was granted until July 22 was for the CDC to respond to Florida's Complaint  -- the document filed to start the lawsuit in the first place.  A defendant (the CDC) has a number of responses it can make, including an Answer and a Motion to Dismiss.   All of that was held in abeyance while the court dealt with Florida's motion for a preliminary injunction.

Edited by Turtles06
  • Like 2

Just now, Turtles06 said:

Yes.  In fact, the article you cited expressly says so:  "This [the extension of time] is related to the underlying lawsuit; the July 2 deadline for responding to the preliminary injunction still stands."

Thank you for the help (and being so kind). 

next question- how do we find the CDcs response that is due today? 

Just now, BermudaBound2014 said:

Thank you for the help (and being so kind). 

next question- how do we find the CDcs response that is due today? 

You're quite welcome.  🙂 

As for the CDC's response -- if in fact it files one (remember, the court invited the CDC to seek a narrower injunction, it didn't order it to do so) -- I assume we'll see news stories linking to it or at least reporting on it.  And perhaps a lawyer who has electronic access to the case files will be able to post it here.

2 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

You're quite welcome.  🙂 

As for the CDC's response -- if in fact it files one (remember, the court invited the CDC to seek a narrower injunction, it didn't order it to do so) -- I assume we'll see news stories linking to it or at least reporting on it.  And perhaps a lawyer who has electronic access to the case files will be able to post it here.

You are a gem. I went looking for CDCs response today and found the article granting the extension (to respond to the complaint) and didn’t separate the two in my brain. I appreciate you :). 

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, Turtles06 said:

You're quite welcome.  🙂 

34 minutes ago, BermudaBound2014 said:

You are a gem. I went looking for CDCs response today and found the article granting the extension (to respond to the complaint) and didn’t separate the two in my brain. I appreciate you :). 

IANAL, but have regular access to PACER. 

Just checked, nothing in the docket report yet.  Will continue to check and post what is docketed.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2